5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler delete

HoustonRam504

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m brand new here. Just did a muffler delete on my 2020 Rebel but I notice after I got it done it’s not nearly as loud as my 17 Laramie was. It doesn’t have that crackle noise, any idea why it wouldn’t be as loud. It does have the resonators on still just like my 17 did. appreciate it

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’ve read and seen videos that the resonators make a huge difference on these new Rams. Been looking in to this myself. Remove them and it’s a whole new ballgame. I decided not to move forward because it seems to be a 50/50 split review whether it’s annoying or not.

HoustonRam504

Reaction score
w
I’ve read and seen videos that the resonators make a huge difference on these new Rams. Been looking in to this myself. Remove them and it’s a whole new ballgame. I decided not to move forward because it seems to be a 50/50 split review whether it’s annoying or not.
Well dang! I was expecting a wayyyy louder sound out of it than what I got. Kinda disappointed actually how quiet it is my 17 was extremely loud with just the muffler delete.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't it because people with the 4th Gen Rams were cutting their mufflers off and not passing inspections or smogs or something like that?

HoustonRam504

Reaction score
Wasn't it because people with the 4th Gen Rams were cutting their mufflers off and not passing inspections or smogs or something like that?
I live in Texas so I’m not sure about that, I still can’t believe how much of a difference the 17 vs the 2020 sound

HoustonRam504

Reaction score
I wonder if it's worth swapping the muffler out for a Magnaflow then... Since that's what I was planning
I’m seeing some people say these truck have a resonator before the muffler but I looked everywhere and only see 2 after the muffler. Kinda confused lol

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m seeing some people say these truck have a resonator before the muffler but I looked everywhere and only see 2 after the muffler. Kinda confused lol
They might be looking at the catalytic converters :rolleyes:. It wouldn't make sense to resonate before muffling

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
RAM have 3 resonators, one in front of the muffler and two at the end.
I'll be darned.... Is this the first resonator next to the transfer case, after the Y pipe?
Res.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would explain the lack of volume after a muffler delete or a muffler swap. Question is...which resonators to keep after a muffler swap...?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That right there ^^ remove the rearmost two resonators - there's good videos here on the board of full straight pipe / no resonator systems, they're loud for sure. Also various cut-out systems that sound great since they bypass everything

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It can - lots of experiences out there and it seems everyone experiences sound differently; might be worth looking up the videos posted on youtube rather than here on the boards as well... drone is def a reason I'm not pursuing any muffler changes for now

HoustonRam504

Reaction score
That right there ^^ remove the rearmost two resonators - there's good videos here on the board of full straight pipe / no resonator systems, they're loud for sure. Also various cut-out systems that sound great since they bypass everything
Yeah I might try that because I’m not satisfied with just the muffler delete. It sounds like an eco boost lol

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Recently put the flowmaster super 10 on mine it's definitely louder than stock and not much drone at all compared to my old scat pack charger with a muffler delete. I am considering taking off the back resonators for a bit more sound but I don't want that drone its a tough line to balance lol.

Bassinb

Reaction score
Just a heads up that some trucks do NOT have 3 resonators. There have been a number of folks, including me, that do not have the one in front of the muffler. Not sure how much of a difference it makes in sound, but that may explain a few different opinions on drone, and volume.

Users who are viewing this thread