5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mud flaps, a good idea?

JBV

Reaction score
do these trucks end up with a lot of gravel chips with the stock set up? my truck will be a dark colour and will see a lot of gravel roads so i'd like to avoid paint damage. considering the weather tech mud flaps but thought i'd seek opinions here first.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMHO it is the first thing one should do to their truck when they first purchase it. I have installed Husky 58146 splash guards and Mopar 82215301AC running boards on our Rams to protect from gravel/road debris.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You have to do it, the truck has wide hips and will get chipped. On gravel roads, you also need some non-folding running boards for the most protection.

Though if you have the money, you can just get PPF, do your lower rocket panels and lower bed area. this is the best protection if you want a clean look as well.

I personally went with the Husky front guards, on a Rebel they look factory and are 1" longer than the WT versions. Here is my review of them on Post 50: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/to-mud-flap-or-not.11424/page-3

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
do these trucks end up with a lot of gravel chips with the stock set up? my truck will be a dark colour and will see a lot of gravel roads so i'd like to avoid paint damage. considering the weather tech mud flaps but thought i'd seek opinions here first.
I live on gravel myself. I had Mopar molded flaps on my 2018, and put WeatherTech on my 2020. (I really like that WeatherTech strives everyday with everything they sell to be 100% AMERICAN!! ) Both protected well except the lower leading edge of the rear fender extension. It gets annihilated there. I'm going to either do PPF or colored Line-X on my new one when it comes. Leaning towards the Line-X, but my local shop I like doesn't do colors.

Sent from my Note20 Ultra using Tapatalk

blankcanvas

Reaction score
Those itty bitty ‘stock guards’ don’t do jack sh*t so yes you needs! I got the husky’s based on reviews I’ve read they outperform the wt’s but yeah they are a must

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to do it, the truck has wide hips and will get chipped. On gravel roads, you also need some non-folding running boards for the most protection.

Though if you have the money, you can just get PPF, do your lower rocket panels and lower bed area. this is the best protection if you want a clean look as well.

I personally went with the Husky front guards, on a Rebel they look factory and are 1" longer than the WT versions. Here is my review of them on Post 50: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/to-mud-flap-or-not.11424/page-3

What’s PPF?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What’s PPF?

Paint protection film. Essentially a modern clear bra, when applied correctly you can't tell it's there, they also have self-healing properties when exposed to the sun, so scratches and nicks go away. Only issue is they are expensive to install and have about a 5 year lifespan.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Paint Protection Film "Clear Bra"

Ah ok Lol. I put that on my lower door seal area. Never thought about the whole fenders. At that point it like wrapping the whole car in clear. Wonder how the film would look on the fender and door but only half the hood and no tailgate.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re on gravel most of the time you can do what I did on my 2002 one ton dually and have the entire lower 1/3 of the entire truck shot with bed liner material. It was a silver truck and I had it shot with black bed liner while getting the bed liner sprayed. No more issues with gravel after that.

Last edited:

McBroom

Reaction score
Yes. They help protect the paint behind the wheels

2020 Lonestar

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've I drove a lot of gravel roads I would get them for sure, drove 1/2 mile down a gravel road the other day and was cringing with all the noise of the rocks hitting the bottom of the truck. That said at 36K now and I don't have any chips in my black paint with no mud flaps, the step rails seem to help more then anything with blocking the rocks.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've I drove a lot of gravel roads I would get them for sure, drove 1/2 mile down a gravel road the other day and was cringing with all the noise of the rocks hitting the bottom of the truck. That said at 36K now and I don't have any chips in my black paint with no mud flaps, the step rails seem to help more then anything with blocking the rocks.

That's pretty much correct regarding the running boards, I should have highlighted that more. The mud flaps only help with the first 2 feet behind them.

If the OP really wants to avoid rock hits to his rear quarter, stationary running boards is one of the best ways to do it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I personally think the mud flaps are one of the first thing you should put on the truck if they dont already come stock with them. I bought a set off of Amazon for like $50 because they didnt hide much of the stock fender flare. I think the brand name was something like OMAC maybe. I like them 20210702_110637.jpg

Vilas15

Reaction score
I drove on gravel in the ram for the first time last weekend. Weathertech flaps just showed up today...

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Super good idea. Just don’t let your buddy back your truck up over a big curb.

My truck ate a mud flap (and more)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
My truck ate a mud flap too, thankfully all damage was in the mud flap itself. Went over a rock going backwards. I don’t take this truck off road, but if you plan on doing it, rethink the mud flap idea.

bskubon

Reaction score
These are the Mopar thick rubber mud flaps

Attachments

• 9EA4678E-F795-4811-B77B-818A9D8893BD.jpeg
    9EA4678E-F795-4811-B77B-818A9D8893BD.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 57

Klicht87

Reaction score
I have the gatorbacks and they seem to work well. I never hear rocks hitting underneath the truck or running boards.

Attachments

• image2 (2).jpeg
    image2 (2).jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 34

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
Put mine on yesterday. Tecoom’s from Amazon. Perfect fit and great price.
2021 Laramie with OEM flares.

ca9c409b2a7d66171b58b9dd4f5f87d9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread