5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MT Baja Boss vs Toyo OC vs Falken WP AT4W

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
Hi All,

Trying to make a decision on new tires for my 2019 Ram 4WD.

Currently have the Falken WP AT3W. 275/55/20 XL and they have been good. But have noticed some slight vibrations on the highway when at 65 -70mph. Was wanting to get a slightly larger tire but the choices are slim without going up too much in weight. Anyone have experience/opinions on the below options? Not towing much, only off road for gravel, mostly highway and around town.

Thanks in advance for your help and responses.

285/60/20
Toyo OC AT3 - E1 61lbs

285/55/20
Toyo OC AT3 - E1 54lbs
Falken WP AT4W - E1 60lbs

275/60/20
Toyo OC AT3 - E1 56lbs
Falken WP AT4W - D1 59.5lbs

275//55/20
Toyo OC AT3 - XL 44lbs
Falken WP AT4W - XL 48lbs
Mickey T. Baja Boss - XL 48lbs

Black19

Reaction score
I just upgraded to :
285/60/20
Toyo OC AT3
So far all dry roads backroads and highway all is great. Good handling, low noise. In the mountains this weekend and dirt roads were great as well.
Looking forward to see how they do in rain and then make my final call on them. But so far I’m loving them.
For clarity I came from 275/60/20 Falkens AT3W.

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
I just upgraded to :
285/60/20
Toyo OC AT3
So far all dry roads backroads and highway all is great. Good handling, low noise. In the mountains this weekend and dirt roads were great as well.
Looking forward to see how they do in rain and then make my final call on them. But so far I’m loving them.
For clarity I came from 275/60/20 Falkens AT3W.
Thanks for your response. Yea, I am in North Carolina. Get mostly rain and the occasional snow, but also go up north sometimes. My current Falkens seem to do really well in the rain, like I said, the onlyssmall issue I had with them is the slight vibration on the highway otherwise I would probably just get them again in a slightly larger size, but the weight disparity for even just a slightly larger tire is concerning. Leaning towards the Toyo's for that reason. The MT's seems to have pretty good reviews across the board but in the larger size (which means going up to an E load) the weight is even more than the FWP.

Were your Falkens in 275/60/20 E load rating? If so, how was the ride on them to you? Same for your current Toyo's?

Thanks again for your response.

Black19

Reaction score
My Falkens were P275/60/20 standard load they road pretty good, close to stock tires, but always chasing vibrations The Toyo’s in E rating is slightly firmer, I actually like the feel of them. Smooth on the highway with low noise…you can hear them, but with the S&B CAI and Borla exhaust not an issue. Wife approved the ride over the weekend 4 hour trip.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the MT's in LT275/60/20.

Other than the weight (LT) and the road noise, I love them. I'm almost 20k in and they're wearing great (10k rotations), great grip both wet & dry, smooth as the OEM Falken's were.. would definitely buy them again.

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
I have the MT's in LT275/60/20.

Other than the weight (LT) and the road noise, I love them. I'm almost 20k in and they're wearing great (10k rotations), great grip both wet & dry, smooth as the OEM Falken's were.. would definitely buy them again.
Thanks. Any concerns about excelaration or stopping with the increase in tire weight?

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
Think I’m leaning Toyo OC for weight in 285/55/20. Only thing is it’s E load rated.

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
if you have great experience with the Falkens then just go with the Falkens.

i'm an AT3w owner lol

also i wouldn't think too much into the unsprung weight. Not gonna make THAT big of a difference. I mean, these trucks are not race cars or street cars... if it's a Miata, Porsche, BMW M, AMG or something of that sort then sure, unsprung weight matters.
Also, the heavier rating, the better for trucks.
I got F rated tires (12-ply) even though I don't tow at all and I should be ok with 10-ply, BUT one time I got a big *** nail stuck in the tire and it did not puncture. It'd puncture if it was 10 or less ply though.

RAMSHEAD

Reaction score
if you have great experience with the Falkens then just go with the Falkens.

i'm an AT3w owner lol

also i wouldn't think too much into the unsprung weight. Not gonna make THAT big of a difference. I mean, these trucks are not race cars or street cars... if it's a Miata, Porsche, BMW M, AMG or something of that sort then sure, unsprung weight matters.
Also, the heavier rating, the better for trucks.
I got F rated tires (12-ply) even though I don't tow at all and I should be ok with 10-ply, BUT one time I got a big *** nail stuck in the tire and it did not puncture. It'd puncture if it was 10 or less ply though.
Thanks for the response. So you don't think going from a 48 pound XL tire to a 54 or 60 pound E rated tire would cause a significant difference in ride or MPG?

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So you don't think going from a 48 pound XL tire to a 54 or 60 pound E rated tire would cause a significant difference in ride or MPG?
nah it's gonna be fine. it's a truck. we ain't got good MPG to begin with. life's too short to let MPG to dictate what tire you get.

ride quality wise, my 12 ply rides great paired with quality suspension. soaks up all kinds of road imperfections and stuff on pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread