5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPH only in the very bottom corner??

DUB96

Reaction score
Just purchased a new 2022 Laramie with 12" and I can't believe you can't display the GPS, current MPH in the cluster! This is absolutely crazy! Every manufacturer has this capability now and the way I understand it you can with the 8.4??? Anyone elese?

THX!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand. You want to display the MPH from the GPS in your instrument cluster? I don't get the usefulness. I've not seen any vehicle that can do that. Plus, GPS isn't as reliable as getting it directly from the vehicle.

DUB96

Reaction score
I didn't explain this clearly enough.... I mean what the MPH is for the road you are currently on. Most all cars do this now days, with the 12" display you must have the NAV map on full screen display and it shows it very small in the bottom RH corner of the display. Just came from a 2021 Ford that it would show it in the cluster next to the MPH you are going.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Okay, now I get it. If you had the heads up display, it would show there. Maybe in the next version of instrument cluster. There is a new all digital one coming.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I didn't explain this clearly enough.... I mean what the MPH is for the road you are currently on. Most all cars do this now days, with the 12" display you must have the NAV map on full screen display and it shows it very small in the bottom RH corner of the display. Just came from a 2021 Ford that it would show it in the cluster next to the MPH you are going.

Did you double check the NAV and Cluster options, it may not be on by default.

DUB96

Reaction score
If so, I sure can't figure it out.... I'll keep digging! Just can't imagine this wouldn't be there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And fwiw, having that is not accurate. Nebraska changed speed limits on all state roads four years ago. My wife's 2020 Traverse has this feature you speak of, but it doesn't show the correct speed limit for most roads we drive on here.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
And fwiw, having that is not accurate. Nebraska changed speed limits on all state roads four years ago. My wife's 2020 Traverse has this feature you speak of, but it doesn't show the correct speed limit for most roads we drive on here.
^^This.

My Audi has this feature but I tend to ignore it. It's right probably 95% of the time, but it's not like I can use that as a defense if I get stopped for speeding because my truck told me the speed limit was 65 when in actuality it was 55.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heads up display zoomed.jpg

Why look at the cluster when you can just look at the HUD. You can customize it so it shows road name, speed and limit, or just 1 or 2 of them. If you've got a Laramie I assume you have this feature. Maybe not, you know what they say about assuming.

Anyway, have it or not, it's not 100% accurate anyway. It's usually pretty good, but I've found that when it's wrong it typically says it's a 25 zone. This becomes quite obvious when my speed alert (I have it set at 8 over) tells me the speed limit is 25 in an area I know it is not.
Posted speed display is nice, but I watch the signs. I could probably just set my HUD for speed and road name, but it doesn't hurt to have the limit displayed too, since it's right most of the time.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^This.

My Audi has this feature but I tend to ignore it. It's right probably 95% of the time, but it's not like I can use that as a defense if I get stopped for speeding because my truck told me the speed limit was 65 when in actuality it was 55.
I was going to say the exact same thing. The cop isn't going to care if your truck told you the wrong speed limit, and I'm not willing to risk the ticket. I'll keep an eye on the signs.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Google/Waze shows you. It's been brought up over and over, but the OEM map is going to be continuously outdated. Your 2022 truck most likely has 2020 or 2021 year maps in it. My 2020 truck built in 2019 has 2018 maps. Only like 2 out of a couple hundred houses in my neighborhood existed in 2018, so it just shows me living in the grass.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I understand it the '22+ have free nav updates so that's only true for a few model years.
But yes Waze is pretty good with telling you were traffic (and cops) are. If you're going to run stupid fast on public roads, it may be worth installing Waze on your phone to hopefully avoid getting busted.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it the '22+ have free nav updates so that's only true for a few model years.
But yes Waze is pretty good with telling you were traffic (and cops) are. If you're going to run stupid fast on public roads, it may be worth installing Waze on your phone to hopefully avoid getting busted.
Even with free map updates, the built in Nav is out dated with the newest updates. Generally map updstes for systems like Tom Tom, Garmin, or Magellan are still 3-5 years behind, and don't update the entire database for every location. My factory Nav in 2020 when truck was brand new still didn't show some roads around me, on higher traveled state highways, that had been changed for over 10 years with bypasses.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's definitely not been my experience, but then I live in an area that's not under constant development.
You gotta love rural Ohio where the only thing changing along the road is whether the field has corn or soy beans in it this year.

And yes, I do love it here. And yes, that's really a thing (rotate soy/corn to keep the soil fresh).

nitmik

Reaction score
Even with free map updates, the built in Nav is out dated with the newest updates. Generally map updstes for systems like Tom Tom, Garmin, or Magellan are still 3-5 years behind, and don't update the entire database for every location. My factory Nav in 2020 when truck was brand new still didn't show some roads around me, on higher traveled state highways, that had been changed for over 10 years with bypasses.
Exactly, can’t trust the factory nav. I’ve never even tried to use mine. Any smart phone navigation app is far easier and more user friendly than the factory nav.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's definitely not been my experience, but then I live in an area that's not under constant development.
You gotta love rural Ohio where the only thing changing along the road is whether the field has corn or soy beans in it this year.

And yes, I do love it here. And yes, that's really a thing (rotate soy/corn to keep the soil fresh).
I was born and raised in rural Nebraska. My dad worked at a grain elevator from the time he was 18 until he retired.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The map updates in my 2022 are decent. It gets some very recent highway number changes but not all.
I had problems with it showing one way streets the wrong direction which made navigation almost impossible as it couldn't figgure out some routes but it was fixed when I applied the current map update. I'm not sure how out of date it when when I got the truck in March 22.

The speed limit is wonky. 99% of the time it works, but when it doesn't it's way off.

I have it showing 25mph on roads that are 45mph (and have always been 45mph).

Without seeing a sign it's a good estimate. Sometimes you can be on roads without speed sighs depending on when you enter the road... Not that I or lots of other people ever really go the posted limit anyways...

Users who are viewing this thread