5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mpg

Rottonrob

Reaction score
Just some information.... just towed a 16 foot...2200 lb cargo trailer...with a 1200 lb rzr in it.....1500 miles......average mpg 9.5.....one stretch 8.5 mpg
5.7 1500 2019...
Sometimes never got into 8th gear...a couple times down to 4th .

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speed kills mpg when towing an enclosed, how fast were you travelling on the highways?

I average 16-17mpg towing a 17foot enclosed v-nose no matter what I have in it on the highway at 55-65mph. 7th gear most of the time with the odd switch into 8th downhill or with a strong tailwind.

fishslayer

Reaction score
I live in south Louisiana so its virtually flat ground ,but I get 21mpg towing my 20ft flat trailer with a UTV and 2- 4 wheelers on it at 60mph. 21 Crew Big Horn E-Torque Hemi.. about 26-28 MPG alone .. I am happy

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a huge difference, The mpg of this ecodiesel is pretty amazing.
I’m more and more envious every time I see somebody post something like this.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I live in south Louisiana so its virtually flat ground ,but I get 21mpg towing my 20ft flat trailer with a UTV and 2- 4 wheelers on it at 60mph. 21 Crew Big Horn E-Torque Hemi.. about 26-28 MPG alone .. I am happy
You're happy because you're on crack. There's no way anyone is getting 26-28 MPG with a 5.7 Hemi, unless all of your driving is downhill with a tailwind. :LOL:

BigD

Reaction score
I get 10 mpg no matter what I tow with my hemi. I hook up a 14 ft fishing boat or my 6x12 single axel enclosed trailer that only weighs 1,400 lbs & I'm getting 10 mpg. Love my Hemi but I can definitely see if u tow often you'd want the diesel!! Now if I'm not towing anything & i have minimal stuff in my bed, I can get 17 or 18 mpg.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
The rear axle ratio matters a lot on these - my 2019 DT with 5.7 3.92 ratio and towing 28' camper does 12mpg at 65-70 mpg. Once you push to 70+ the MPG drops like a rock. First time hauling the camper at 75-80 it was 7-8 MPG. I just slowed down and found that sweet spot where it will stay in 8th with occasional downshift to 7th to climb.

silver billet

Reaction score
The rear axle ratio matters a lot on these - my 2019 DT with 5.7 3.92 ratio and towing 28' camper does 12mpg at 65-70 mpg. Once you push to 70+ the MPG drops like a rock. First time hauling the camper at 75-80 it was 7-8 MPG. I just slowed down and found that sweet spot where it will stay in 8th with occasional downshift to 7th to climb.

The rear axle won't matter in terms of MPG; both trucks will end up pulling the same weight at the same speed at approx the same RPM (they will be in different gears in the transmission but that doesn't matter, what matters is RPM + weight + frontal area + mph).

Probably the two biggest variables in towing MPG is speed and frontal area. You can have a 20 foot 3000 pound (empty) trailer or a 28 foot 6000 pound (loaded) trailer, but if they share the same approx frontal area you're basically plowing air and going to get in the neighbourhood of 8 to 12 mpg. The faster you go, the more the frontal section matters.

You may also want to re-consider towing your camper in 8th gear, that's hard on the transmission (and probably not good to lug the hemi either), direct drive (6th) is best in terms of least stress.

So for my towing I always focus on RPMs and never on speed. I prefer to tow at 2300 RPMs on flat ground, and never tow at < 2000 RPMs, I'll use my gear limiter to force this if necessary. My MPG is between 8 and 11, depending on head wind or tail wind.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
The rear axle won't matter in terms of MPG; both trucks will end up pulling the same weight at the same speed at approx the same RPM (they will be in different gears in the transmission but that doesn't matter, what matters is RPM + weight + frontal area + mph).
New math? That doesn't make sense. This also depends upon final tire size as that does change final drive ratios. You can't blanket state this.
Probably the two biggest variables in towing MPG is speed and frontal area. You can have a 20 foot 3000 pound (empty) trailer or a 28 foot 6000 pound (loaded) trailer, but if they share the same approx frontal area you're basically plowing air and going to get in the neighbourhood of 8 to 12 mpg. The faster you go, the more the frontal section matters.
Frontal area? It's partially speed but it's also final drive ratio.
You may also want to re-consider towing your camper in 8th gear, that's hard on the transmission (and probably not good to lug the hemi either), direct drive (6th) is best in terms of least stress.

So for my towing I always focus on RPMs and never on speed. I prefer to tow at 2300 RPMs on flat ground, and never tow at < 2000 RPMs, I'll use my gear limiter to force this if necessary. My MPG is between 8 and 11, depending on head wind or tail wiS
How do you know if I'm lugging my HEMI? You don't. Maybe I went with 16" wheels and tiny tires...yes the 7the and 8th are overdrive ratios. Fair to say about using 6th, but I'd be 55mph. No thanks.

silver billet

Reaction score
New math? That doesn't make sense. This also depends upon final tire size as that does change final drive ratios. You can't blanket state this.

Frontal area? It's partially speed but it's also final drive ratio.

How do you know if I'm lugging my HEMI? You don't. Maybe I went with 16" wheels and tiny tires...yes the 7the and 8th are overdrive ratios. Fair to say about using 6th, but I'd be 55mph. No thanks.

Well considering I own a hemi and pull a trailer I'm pretty sure I know when the hemi is lugging in which gear at what speed/weight. This is my opinion, but anything less than 2000 rpms while towing a 28' trailer is lugging the hemi, I know mine starts to heat up pretty good when the rpms aren't high enough. There are many guys who won't even consider towing in overdrive period; doesn't matter if your engine can do it, they won't go higher than direct drive (1:1 which is 6th gear in our trucks) because it's pretty stressful on the transmission.

The "frontal area" is probably poor choice of words, I'm referring to the height and width of your trailer. The bigger rectangle that is, the more that plays a role at higher speeds vs the weight/length of the actual trailer.

Just trying to help, if you don't like my opinion I'll move on.

Last edited:

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
Well considering I own a hemi and pull a trailer I'm pretty sure I know when the hemi is lugging in which gear at what speed/weight. This is my opinion, but anything less than 2000 rpms while towing a 28' trailer is lugging the hemi, I know mine starts to heat up pretty good when the rpms aren't high enough. There are many guys who won't even consider towing in overdrive period; doesn't matter if your engine can do it, they won't go higher than direct drive (1:1 which is 6th gear in our trucks) because it's pretty stressful on the transmission.

The "frontal area" is probably poor choice of words, I'm referring to the height and width of your trailer. The bigger rectangle that is, the more that plays a role at higher speeds vs the weight/length of the actual trailer.

Just trying to help, if you don't like my opinion I'll move on.
Your opinion is just that - your opinion. It's not fact based. IDK what you have for tires or wheels, gear ratio, type of trailer, tongue weight, how much you haul in the bed, etc. etc. - nor do I know where you live (elevation etc.) and I don't really care. So what I'm trying to point out is that you don't know what your talking about. It's a bunch of blanket statements not backed up by facts. Too may variables to make blanket statements like you have IMHO.

silver billet

Reaction score
Your opinion is just that - your opinion. It's not fact based. IDK what you have for tires or wheels, gear ratio, type of trailer, tongue weight, how much you haul in the bed, etc. etc. - nor do I know where you live (elevation etc.) and I don't really care. So what I'm trying to point out is that you don't know what your talking about. It's a bunch of blanket statements not backed up by facts. Too may variables to make blanket statements like you have IMHO.

You believe what you like, was just trying to help you.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Frontal area is a perfectly fine way to explain it. My evidence:
Towed my 1000lb all aluminum 6x12 cargo trailer empty - 10.5mpg
Towed my 5000lb camper - 10mpg
Towed a flatbed with a car on it 6000lb - 14.5mpg.

Pushing wind makes way more difference than whether you have 3:21 vs 3.92 once you're up to highway speeds. You can argue tire size, final ratios, etc etc...but Silver Bullet's point is a solid one. It's certainly not the only one, but he does know what he's talkiing about. Save your arrogant, know-it-all attitude for the Mensa meetings.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Frontal area is a perfectly fine way to explain it. My evidence:
Towed my 1000lb all aluminum 6x12 cargo trailer empty - 10.5mpg
Towed my 5000lb camper - 10mpg
Towed a flatbed with a car on it 6000lb - 14.5mpg.

Pushing wind makes way more difference than whether you have 3:21 vs 3.92 once you're up to highway speeds. You can argue tire size, final ratios, etc etc...but Silver Bullet's point is a solid one. It's certainly not the only one, but he does know what he's talkiing about. Save your arrogant, know-it-all attitude for the Mensa meetings.
I have to agree. When I tow my enclosed trailer on the highway empty or loaded up with 4-5k lbs I get nearly the same mpg. Add in some head winds or tail winds and it’ll go up or down accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread