5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I recently got a '21 Rebel, super crew, 4x4, etorque 5.7 with a 3.92 rear. After it had 1,000 miles on it, I took it on a long road trip (1700 miles each way), that took four days round trip. I expected to get 16 MPG as an overall mileage figure for the trip, which was just a guess.

Day 1 was a 17 hour drive. The first half was on state highways with speeds of 55 to 65 MPH, and the computer told me I was getting around 16 MPG during that portion. Then I hit the Interstate, where speeds were 75 to 85 and I saw lots and lots of 9 to 11 MPG figures on the dash. The trip had me driving from sea level to 6,100 feet on Day 1, so there was definitely some uphill pulling along the way, though nothing you'd call steep, just kind of a steady rolling uphill drive for hundreds of miles. When I ended Day 1 my overall MPG figure was 13.7, which was pretty dismal.

Once I hit the destination end of the trip I did more driving around on local roads and my MPG recovered from the 13.7 figure, but I expected it would get destroyed again on the way home.

On the way home I reversed the elevation gain, coming down from 7,000 feet to just above sea level. The truck got better mileage the whole way, and by the time I got home, my overall MPG figure from the computer was 17 MPG. Despite hitting a low spot of 13.7 MPG, it actually recovered to a better overall figure than I had planned on at the start. Funny how it works. :ROFLMAO:

It did get me thinking that it would be nice if manufacturers provided a "steady speed MPG" figure for 65, 75, and 85 MPH so you'd have an idea of what the vehicle will do on an interstate. The current "City" and "Highway" test tell you nothing about running it at interstate speeds.

The truck ran like a champ. It's a very comfortable long haul vehicle. Very happy with it so far.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From the interwebs

“Vehicles are tested at a top speed of 80 mph in order to calculate the highway mpg estimates. EPA utilizes five test cycles to represent real-world driving conditions. ... EPA's highway mpg estimates are primarily derived from a separate "high speed" test cycle, which has a top speed of 80 mph.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
From the interwebs

“Vehicles are tested at a top speed of 80 mph in order to calculate the highway mpg estimates. EPA utilizes five test cycles to represent real-world driving conditions. ... EPA's highway mpg estimates are primarily derived from a separate "high speed" test cycle, which has a top speed of 80 mph.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That test isn't a "steady speed" test. It goes up to a "top speed" of 80, but they do not give you a straight 80 MPH figure. I've read all about the testing, and they don't provide a steady speed figure. It would just be good to see.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
On the way home I reversed the elevation gain, coming down from 7,000 feet to just above sea level. The truck got better mileage the whole way, and by the time I got home, my overall MPG figure from the computer was 17 MPG. Despite hitting a low spot of 13.7 MPG, it actually recovered to a better overall figure than I had planned on at the start. Funny how it works. :ROFLMAO:
I've pondered this myself. Flat ground, moderate speeds, etc etc is worth, say, 20 mpg. Climbing up the Angeles Crest Highway gives me anywhere from 10-15, depending on grade. Mentally, we're thinking, 10 uphill, 20 on flat, that means 30 downhill. But no, downhill usually shows 99 mpg -- and it would be even higher if there were more digits available. So the trip average climbs really fast.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sweet, people who click on threads they don't want to read. :ROFLMAO: Surely you have better uses for your time than to open threads you don't want to read.
Sorry, but he is right. There are tons of MPG threads. Top right "search" will tell you.

Cajun_

Reaction score
the EPA should just rate cars at the common speed limits steady state and let the buyer decide based on the roads they commonly drive on.

Users who are viewing this thread