5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG with Pedal Commander

Konrad

Reaction score
I'm on my third day with Pedal Commander and the smile isn't leaving my face. Boy, what an improvement! The truck had become so much more alive, nimble and agile with this thing. I find "City +2"'setting to be my sweet spot. (Sport+ is simply insane, by the way)

I also noticed an unexpected "bonus". Since I installed it, MPG on my everyday commute has improved by average 1.4! That's by Lie-o-meter as I have to fill her up yet, but there must be something to it. I've been resetting the Lie-o before every drive. 12 mile (one way) suburban/city commute twice a day, flat, boring and uneventful (that's why I started playing with the mpg lol)

Probably has to do with my driving style - when just commuting and not enjoying my truck, I tend to accelerate fairly fast to 5-7 above the speed limit and stay at that speed as much as possible, coasting a lot and even using cruise control on longer stretches sometimes. I guess the faster throttle response allows me to reach the desired speed faster, burning less fuel in the process. The truck just feels so much more "efficient", for the lack of better word.

I realize people usually don't buy Pedal Commanders to improve fuel efficiency (and neither did I) but I was wondering if anyone else observed such "side effect"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bionicbo

Reaction score
I'm on my third day with Pedal Commander and the smile isn't leaving my face. Boy, what an improvement! The truck had become so much more alive, nimble and agile with this thing. I find "City +2"'setting to be my sweet spot. (Sport+ is simply insane, by the way)

I also noticed an unexpected "bonus". Since I installed it, MPG on my everyday commute has improved by average 1.4! That's by Lie-o-meter as I have to fill her up yet, but there must be something to it. I've been resetting the Lie-o before every drive. 12 mile (one way) suburban/city commute twice a day, flat, boring and uneventful (that's why I started playing with the mpg lol)

Probably has to do with my driving style - when just commuting and not enjoying my truck, I tend to accelerate fairly fast to 5-7 above the speed limit and stay at that speed as much as possible, coasting a lot and even using cruise control on longer stretches sometimes. I guess the faster throttle response allows me to reach the desired speed faster, burning less fuel in the process. The truck just feels so much more "efficient", for the lack of better word.

I realize people usually don't buy Pedal Commanders to improve fuel efficiency (and neither did I) but I was wondering if anyone else observed such "side effect"?

I also noticed an increase in mpg aswell and I'm running mine at sport+ +4, I didn't change my driving habits I'm just assuming I need less pedal pressure to get moving therefore I'm not on it as much, seems to be in eco mode more often.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also noticed an increase in mpg aswell and I'm running mine at sport+ +4, I didn't change my driving habits I'm just assuming I need less pedal pressure to get moving therefore I'm not on it as much, seems to be in eco mode more often.
Wow when I put it in that mode it threw codes like crazy and I had to reinstall it and disconnect the battery. If I had it in that setting all the time I would have whiplash and need new tires in a week. How do you do it?

Firebird

Reaction score
Today I have been playing with the Sport+ with +2 sensitivity, talk about fun!

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Wow when I put it in that mode it threw codes like crazy and I had to reinstall it and disconnect the battery. If I had it in that setting all the time I would have whiplash and need new tires in a week. How do you do it?

I'll definitely be buying new tires sooner then later, I just take it easy until I'm free of traffic, I have had it kick out on me a few times when passing someone at around 50-60 mph. It is usually at city when the wife drives it but I do adjust on the fly with no issues at all, I'm using model PC78, I've read some people using PC31 I dont know if that has any thing to do with it.

Moe1962

Reaction score

I just received my PC yesterday in the mail. Installed it last night. Set it for city +2 for the ride to work this morning. What a difference. However, half way to work, I set it on city +3 for the last few miles. I'm sure the smile will be broader on the way home and all the rain soaked roads should be clear by then too. Just using the dash for MPG's, in 4 wheel auto, it shows .5 MPG better. Same roads, same traffic, less pedal it seems.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PC31 is for Gen 4...PC78 is for Gen 5.
PC07 works in my '19

Bionicbo

Reaction score
PC07 works in my '19
PC07 may "work" for the 2019's but its also a long list other manufacturers it works for, whereas PC78 is designed for only 2019 or newer Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles. When I called and spoke to technical support to confirm, it was PC78 to use.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PC07 may "work" for the 2019's but its also a long list other manufacturers it works for, whereas PC78 is designed for only 2019 or newer Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles. When I called and spoke to technical support to confirm, it was PC78 to use.

I fail to see your point, you are a touch mistaken sir.

neither unit is specific to any one model. They both seem to work for the DT Ram 1500.

Good of you to research and purchase the unit for your vehicle, I did the same. luckily for me, I was able to find my PC07 brand new shipped from the west coast for $160.

From Pedal Commander web site:

The PC07 part is for the NEW body style 2019 Dodge Ram.

And yes, for specific Alfa Romero, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, GMC, Jeep, Lancia, Lotus, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Smart and Suzuki Vehicles.

The PC87 is designed for:
- 2019 and Newer Ram Trucks - All Models
- 2020 Jeep Gladiator - All Models
- 2018 and Newer Jeep Wranglers (JL) - All Models
- 2016 and Newer Chrysler Pacifica

Bionicbo

Reaction score
PC31 is for Gen 4...PC78 is for Gen 5.
I fail to see your point, you are a touch mistaken sir.

neither unit is specific to any one model. They both seem to work for the DT Ram 1500.

Good of you to research and purchase the unit for your vehicle, I did the same. luckily for me, I was able to find my PC07 brand new shipped from the west coast for $160.

From Pedal Commander web site:

The PC07 part is for the NEW body style 2019 Dodge Ram.

And yes, for specific Alfa Romero, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, GMC, Jeep, Lancia, Lotus, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Smart and Suzuki Vehicles.

The PC87 is designed for:
- 2019 and Newer Ram Trucks - All Models
- 2020 Jeep Gladiator - All Models
- 2018 and Newer Jeep Wranglers (JL) - All Models
- 2016 and Newer Chrysler Pacifica

IMO one looks like a universal part, the other made for a specific brand, but to each his own.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, on the product pages they both say they are for the GEN5. With that pedal commander shows the PC78 as the unit for the GEN5 when searching by model. Pedal commander obviously had a reason to introduce the PC78 considering the PC07 "works". If I had to bet when the GEN5 was introduced they found the GEN5 connector was the same as the PC07 and tested and it worked. They probably saw the need to tweak it slightly and introduced the PC78. They probably decided to keep showing the GEN5 compatible with PC07 or else everyone with a PC07 would want a replacement PC78. Just my 2 cents and opinion for what it's worth

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Saints

Reaction score
I have a PC07 that I’ve had for about 8 months and I have to send it back. It will work fine for awhile and then throw a check engine light and put my truck in limp mode. On 2 occasions it has made the truck accelerate on its own, not fast or anything, but still concerning.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't be a jerk, just answer the question or move on.

OP: The easiest answer is to try each one for yourself until you find your sweet spot. I personally run the City +3 for everyday driving. It takes away the lag without being too touchy and aggressive. When I rode in Sport+1 or Sport+2 it was fun but the wife complained that I was jerking the throttle too much (I never told her I spent money to do that) so sometimes I switch it when I want to have fun but with the family City +3 is my sweet spot. Good luck, there is no wrong answer.........besides being a jerk and telling you to search.

drstein

Reaction score
Don't be a jerk, just answer the question or move on.

OP: The easiest answer is to try each one for yourself until you find your sweet spot. I personally run the City +3 for everyday driving. It takes away the lag without being too touchy and aggressive. When I rode in Sport+1 or Sport+2 it was fun but the wife complained that I was jerking the throttle too much (I never told her I spent money to do that) so sometimes I switch it when I want to have fun but with the family City +3 is my sweet spot. Good luck, there is no wrong answer.........besides being a jerk and telling you to search.

Name calling from behind a PC screen, impressive. As if ALL of this hasn't been covered, over, and over, and .......omg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cry some more big guy. Over and over and over again. Or just be a nice human being and help someone out.....prick
While I agree with you about helping someone out instead of just saying "search", The name calling isn't needed. In fact, it's usually more effective to avoid conflict when trying to get a point across to someone you might disagree with. I also see drstein's point. It's frustrating when someone new comes on and asks a question that's been discussed to death. It also increases the number of hits when someone actually does search a topic before creating a thread. But in the end, forums were created to discuss things, and to help people learn. It's a more pleasant experience for everyone if it can stay civil.

Users who are viewing this thread