5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG improvements with different tires?

mikelabranche

Reaction score
Personally i'm a Pirelli guy.
I lucked out and my Limited came with the same Pirelli's I had on my last truck as funny as that was.
It's crazy how bad some tires are that OEMs choose to put on vehicles to save a few bucks resulting in poor handling of an otherwise expensive new car\truck.
Which Pirellis do you have?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bigger the contact patch on the road, the more rolling resistance there is. You want better milage, get skinny tires and inflate to max air pressures. And, stay away from tall tires.

edgarrian

Reaction score
This has been discussed a few times here. Changing tires won't give you any significant advantage in mpg. Proper air pressure is a must.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been discussed a few times here. Changing tires won't give you any significant advantage in mpg. Proper air pressure is a must.
Beg to differ. I have personal experience of what wider tires can do to horsepower and mpg. Bigger tire patch, more resistance. Bigger contact patch means better traction/ stopping power.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Beg to differ. I have personal experience of what wider tires can do to horsepower and mpg. Bigger tire patch, more resistance. Bigger contact patch means better traction/ stopping power.
Signifcant to me would be (5mpg or more) more than the stock duratracs. Thats not happening with a tire swap. Even what you are suggesting id be surprised if it was a gain of 3mpg. Thats not significant. Guys that have changed out stock tires on the rebel have not experienced any significant gain.

Users who are viewing this thread