5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG improvements with different tires?

skidmarc

Reaction score
Hi all - Has anyone seen any significant mileage improvements after replacing their Duratracs with a different all-terrain oriented tire?

I'm planning on replacing my factory tires and am wondering how much I should bother looking for something better rolling.
I suppose on the other hand I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who replaced tires with something similar and got 'worse' mileage.

I'm looking to stay at factory size.

Thanks!

E.Hands

Reaction score
No tire change will result in any significant Improvement in MPG. What will is steady highway miles in high gear at low RPM. (8th gear at 60 MPH)

Last edited:

Oldphart

Reaction score
That's not really true. You can definitely get tires that give you way worse mpg over a tank of fuel, even tire pressure can effect mpg
I got rid of those awful OEM Bridgestones that have absolutely zero wet weather traction. Went to Michelin Defenders. Better traction all around but about a 5% mileage penalty. At least I'm not looking out a side window when taking turnso_O

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got rid of those awful OEM Bridgestones that have absolutely zero wet weather traction. Went to Michelin Defenders. Better traction all around but about a 5% mileage penalty. At least I'm not looking out a side window when taking turnso_O
Personally i'm a Pirelli guy.
I lucked out and my Limited came with the same Pirelli's I had on my last truck as funny as that was.
It's crazy how bad some tires are that OEMs choose to put on vehicles to save a few bucks resulting in poor handling of an otherwise expensive new car\truck.

Gren71

Reaction score
I have Michelin Defenders on now, and definitely saw the slight mpg drop with them vs the oem goodyears. that said the michelines are just a top notch tire for all season and highway use...though when they ware down I may try something else.

FWIW I used to run firestone destination AT2s on my Jeep Gladiator and was blow away by them. Great MPG, light, phenomenal traction. In retrospect I should have gone with a set of them over the michelins.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got rid of those awful OEM Bridgestones that have absolutely zero wet weather traction. At least I'm not looking out a side window when taking turnso_O
I can relate to that here in Florida!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Size for size of similar all terrains, not sure there is a really noticeable difference, though there is a wide range of A/T patterns out there. Some tread patterns are almost all-season while some are practically mud terrain. Between those two, you could see some difference.

The big difference is the overall diameter, going from a 31 to 33 for example. Compounded even more if you go from an all season to all terrain, can net 3-4 mpg easily with both those changes.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any time I feel the need for a reality check on fuel economy, I jump into our M1113 at work and take her out for a spin (monthly maintenance run)

6.5 turbo diesel, 37 inch military OZ run flats, 9000 pound Warn in the front and a payload from hell.
25 gallon tank with 10 mpg... that is by design...

Last edited:

E.Hands

Reaction score
I have Michelin Defenders on now, and definitely saw the slight mpg drop with them vs the oem goodyears. that said the michelines are just a top notch tire for all season and highway use...though when they ware down I may try something else.

FWIW I used to run firestone destination AT2s on my Jeep Gladiator and was blow away by them. Great MPG, light, phenomenal traction. In retrospect I should have gone with a set of them over the michelins.

Size for size of similar all terrains, not sure there is a really noticeable difference, though there is a wide range of A/T patterns out there. Some tread patterns are almost all-season while some are practically mud terrain. Between those two, you could see some difference.

The big difference is the overall diameter, going from a 31 to 33 for example. Compounded even more if you go from an all season to all terrain, can net 3-4 mpg easily with both those changes.
Ok, if there is difference in MPG between these two tires, which one is more efficient?
Falken Rubitrek 275/60 R20
Michelin Defender LTX® M/S 2 275/60 R20

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The weight of the tires seems to make a significant difference, so often times you'll see a big hit when switching to an AT tire. I've even seen non-AT tires that are ~6-7lbs heavier than OEM tires.

On a separate note, I run the OEM Bridgestones in summer and Michelin Defenders in winter. I've had the Defenders on at least 4 trucks and always loved them...until now. Yes, they're great in all conditions performance wise. However they are significantly noisier on this ram than they ever were on any of the last trucks, and I've certainly noticed the mileage hit too. I still like them, I don't love them, especially a the premium price. Thinking of giving the Continental TerrainContact AT's a try next for my winter tires.

E.Hands

Reaction score
The weight of the tires seems to make a significant difference, so often times you'll see a big hit when switching to an AT tire. I've even seen non-AT tires that are ~6-7lbs heavier than OEM tires.

On a separate note, I run the OEM Bridgestones in summer and Michelin Defenders in winter. I've had the Defenders on at least 4 trucks and always loved them...until now. Yes, they're great in all conditions performance wise. However they are significantly noisier on this ram than they ever were on any of the last trucks, and I've certainly noticed the mileage hit too. I still like them, I don't love them, especially a the premium price. Thinking of giving the Continental TerrainContact AT's a try next for my winter tires.
Well damn, that's conflicting with my thoughts.
Falken Rubitrek 275/60 R20 weighs in at 46 lbs.
Michelin Defender LTX® M/S 2 275/60 R20 weighs in at 39 lbs.
I really like the way that the Rubitreks look on the truck but I was thinking that the Michelins would be quieter and ride better in comparison, no?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like the way that the Rubitreks look on the truck but I was thinking that the Michelins would be quieter and ride better in comparison, no?
Sometimes ya gotta give up things for the look ya want! :cool:

Gren71

Reaction score
its going to come down to form or function. Do you want the look or do you want the performance?

a highway tire will be a quieter ride on the highway and will be more fuel efficient for the daily use. But they look generic

an at tire will be less fuel efficient and louder during daily use. But will have the look that makes you smile when you see you truck.

Its always a cost/benefit decision with tires much like lifts and such. Coming from the Jeep world I did a LOT of lift and tire work and spent a LONG time chasing those rabbits. With this truck the highway tire is quiet and smooth as butter for daily driving. They give me amazing traction no matter the weather and they have a better ware rating than most...if not all..AT tires. In the long run these Michelins aren't sexy looking, but they will last nearly twice as long as the alternative AT tires I was looking at.

Keep an eye on the ware ratings of the tires youre looking at and be sure youre making a decision that makes sense for you.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would suggest AT3W or newest AT4W

Users who are viewing this thread