5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG & First long trip impressions

NewRAMGuy

Reaction score
Made it to Baker City, Oregon today. About 2,000 miles so far, total overall mileage is down to 21.3 because we did a bunch of sightseeing and mountain driving in Utah and then today was blasting at 80 - 85 mph on the interstate for much of the day. I've been driving for speed, not efficiency - we have a LOT of miles to cover - and to be driving 80+ and still averaging better than 21 exceeds my expectations.

I just can't get over how comfortable the truck is for long driving days - many years and many miles traveling in my 98 Ram, this is so completely different I could just drive all day. Come to think of it, I have been! I am far less fatigued at the end of a 10-12 hour driving day than in any other vehicle I have ever owned.

It has been very painful to watch the bugs pile up on the front end and windshield every day within the first hour of driving - don't they know this is a new truck?

Off for the Canadian border tomorrow.

View attachment 5136
What are you headed to BC for, I am close by in Spokane, WA.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has been very painful to watch the bugs pile up on the front end and windshield every day within the first hour of driving - don't they know this is a new truck?
There’s a guy on the F-150 forum sending the bugs updates on you location.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
We made it to the Canadian border today. At the halfway point on our trip, have been driving at or above speed limit the whole way with lots of mountain climbing the last two days - especially today in Oregon and Washington. I'm sure if I backed off a little I could get 24 on the road easily. Rambo Mileage 3.jpg

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming trailer. Which model will you be getting? That 17' would be nice for us as we could easily tow it behind the Q5. Appreciating these updates.

Remixznflow

Reaction score
Thank you for this. I only have about 100 miles on mine right now and i'm depressed at how much this thing guzzles. I'm sure it will get better as I get more miles under my belt.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming trailer. Which model will you be getting? That 17' would be nice for us as we could easily tow it behind the Q5. Appreciating these updates.
Getting the 5.0TA fifth wheel. It's pretty much the only half-ton towable fifth wheel made these days, will come in a little under 5,000 pounds fully loaded. Our old 98 Ram pulled a bit larger fifth wheel all over with much less power so the new Ram will handle this one with ease.

rvsixer

Reaction score
Getting the 5.0TA fifth wheel. It's pretty much the only half-ton towable fifth wheel made these days
I was looking at the Scamp fifth wheel (very lightweight), thanks for the tip on the 5.0TA didn't know about that one.

PS, and thanks for the mileage reports. I was really thinking about getting a BH QC Hemi with etorque (want all the mileage I can get), but with the price premium as well as the 150lb payload reduction, really thinking about non-etorque at this point.

Last edited:

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
I was looking at the Scamp fifth wheel (very lightweight), thanks for the tip on the 5.0TA didn't know about that one.

PS, and thanks for the mileage reports. I was really thinking about getting a BH QC Hemi with etorque (want all the mileage I can get), but with the price premium as well as the 150lb payload reduction, really thinking about non-etorque at this point.

I'm not really aggressive accelerating from a stop, so I didn't need the 3.92 for extra punch there. And my 3.21 has all the power I could ask for when I punch it at speed to pass someone. With a 5,000 pound trailer I'm sure the 3.21 will be adequate, and certainly will get better gas mileage. I do mostly highway driving and I think the etorque will mostly benefit city mileage with lots of stops.

rvsixer

Reaction score
I do mostly highway driving and I think the etorque will mostly benefit city mileage with lots of stops.
Agreed, and MT's real world MPG testing bears that out (non-etorque Hemi 4x4 got 14.7 city/21.6 hwy mpg, etorque Hemi 4x4 got 18.7/22.6 mpg). They did not specify rear end in either truck though :cautious: .

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Thank you for this. I only have about 100 miles on mine right now and i'm depressed at how much this thing guzzles. I'm sure it will get better as I get more miles under my belt.
Can you add your truck config under your signature? Might help us get a better idea on why your range is so low. Thanks!

Remixznflow

Reaction score
Can you add your truck config under your signature? Might help us get a better idea on why your range is so low. Thanks!

I'd be happy to. However I am still trying to figure out how to update my signature AND get a profile photo that will work. Bear with me I'll get there.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
3/4 of of the way through our road trip, 3,800 or so miles and overall mpg is a little over 22 at this point. We're taking a break for a couple of days in Moab, UT at Arches National Park and have been doing a bunch of driving around here, and the past two days from BC to here were a LOT of mountain driving in Washington and Oregon and then 80+ mph cruising through Idaho and Utah, hard on mileage. The last two days of our trip through southern Utah, New Mexico and Texas will be easier driving and I expect by the time we are home the overall mpg average will go up - I'll report back at the end. Other than the compass not working (mentioned in a separate thread) the truck has performed flawlessly, and has exceeded my high expectations for comfort and functionality on long road trips like this, which will be its primary use.

Rambo Arches.jpg

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
3/4 of of the way through our road trip, 3,800 or so miles and overall mpg is a little over 22 at this point. We're taking a break for a couple of days in Moab, UT at Arches National Park and have been doing a bunch of driving around here, and the past two days from BC to here were a LOT of mountain driving in Washington and Oregon and then 80+ mph cruising through Idaho and Utah, hard on mileage. The last two days of our trip through southern Utah, New Mexico and Texas will be easier driving and I expect by the time we are home the overall mpg average will go up - I'll report back at the end. Other than the compass not working (mentioned in a separate thread) the truck has performed flawlessly, and has exceeded my high expectations for comfort and functionality on long road trips like this, which will be its primary use.

View attachment 5420
Beautiful! How many miles in how many days? Are you sleeping in tents on the way to BC and sleeping in your new trailer on the return trip?

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Beautiful! How many miles in how many days? Are you sleeping in tents on the way to BC and sleeping in your new trailer on the return trip?
I think it will be just over 5,000 miles in total. Four full days of driving Austin to BC, four more back, but we stopped halfway in Utah on the way up and way home for several days to break up the trip. Motels this time, we were just ordering the trailer and will have to go back in the spring to pick it up. Good think we love driving....especially now in the new Ram!

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Haha good god man, couldn't you order the trailer online or something? LoL

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Haha good god man, couldn't you order the trailer online or something? LoL

Yes, it's not required to go there to order. But they do a LOT of customization - each trailer is built to order with an endless list of options and custom features, and it works out better to be able to talk with them in person to get a lot of custom features just the way we want.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
FINAL REPORT: Here's the grand total for my entire trip. I can't really complain about almost hitting the EPA highway mileage rating - I drove like a bat out of hell pretty much the entire trip with so many miles to cover. I'd estimate 60% of the mileage was interstate driving at 75-85, 35% was state highways at 65-75, and 5% was local driving and sightseeing. A lot of the driving was up and down at altitude in mountainous terrain.

I have no doubt that with more judicious driving I could easily get 24 or so, I saw that a number of times during easy smooth stretches of driving. I saw the ECO light on plenty of times while cruising at 75 in gentle terrain, so I'm sure MDS kicks in when engine load is light regardless of speed.

I think I can consider my truck pretty well broken in now. Next year we'll get the trailer and I'll see how it does towing on a long trip.

Rambo Mileage 4.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread