5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG & First long trip impressions

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Quarter of the way into a 5,000 mile round trip from Austin to Chilliwack, BC. I'd been eager to see what kind of mpg I'd get with back to back days of 100% highway driving. I had 1,000 miles on the truck when I left home so it was pretty well broken in. All my driving so far has been in the 65-75 range, running 88 octane - out west it seems like regular is often 86 and mid grade 88. Quite a few hills, and a good bit of the driving has been at altitudes of up to 5,000 feet. The truck has driven like a dream - I just can't believe how smooth, quiet and comfortable it is on the road, makes long trips like this so much more fun. The transmission has actually learned how to drive in hilly high altitude terrain and I've seen a subtle change in shifting in the hills, probably similar to tow mode - doesn't try to go into 8th as much in areas where it will just have to shift back down to 7th right away.

I checked my mileage manually for a while and found the truck's computer to be pretty accurate. I'll keep track of my mpg on the entire trip and report back when it's over, but couldn't resist posting interim results - the mileage has just blown me away. In 1,300 miles of highway driving I am just over 23 mpg. I'm in the boonies with very low bandwidth and can't get a screenshot to upload but will do that on down the road. With the 33 gallon tank, it's so nice to drive 650 miles a day and only have to buy gas once. When I fill up it's showing about a 750 mile range.

Granted, these are ideal conditions - pure highway driving, using cruise control a lot, only a few stops for bathroom breaks but otherwise driving all day. Can't wait to see what my mpg works out to be for the whole trip, but so far it is exceeding my expectations.

tcw3628

Reaction score
Quarter of the way into a 5,000 mile round trip from Austin to Chilliwack, BC. I'd been eager to see what kind of mpg I'd get with back to back days of 100% highway driving. I had 1,000 miles on the truck when I left home so it was pretty well broken in. All my driving so far has been in the 65-75 range, running 88 octane - out west it seems like regular is often 86 and mid grade 88. Quite a few hills, and a good bit of the driving has been at altitudes of up to 5,000 feet. The truck has driven like a dream - I just can't believe how smooth, quiet and comfortable it is on the road, makes long trips like this so much more fun. The transmission has actually learned how to drive in hilly high altitude terrain and I've seen a subtle change in shifting in the hills, probably similar to tow mode - doesn't try to go into 8th as much in areas where it will just have to shift back down to 7th right away.

I checked my mileage manually for a while and found the truck's computer to be pretty accurate. I'll keep track of my mpg on the entire trip and report back when it's over, but couldn't resist posting interim results - the mileage has just blown me away. In 1,300 miles of highway driving I am just over 23 mpg. I'm in the boonies with very low bandwidth and can't get a screenshot to upload but will do that on down the road. With the 33 gallon tank, it's so nice to drive 650 miles a day and only have to buy gas once. When I fill up it's showing about a 750 mile range.

Granted, these are ideal conditions - pure highway driving, using cruise control a lot, only a few stops for bathroom breaks but otherwise driving all day. Can't wait to see what my mpg works out to be for the whole trip, but so far it is exceeding my expectations.

Is this with 3.21 or 3.92?

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
I have the 3.21 - got it deliberately for highway mileage, the camper I will be pulling next year is just below 5,000 pounds loaded so the 3.21 should do fine with it.

Thought I had that in my signature, I'll add that.

Reactions: 356

Ramajama

Reaction score
Here we are in Utah, halfway to British Columbia.
View attachment 4971

Man, I just think the Quad Cabs look so much better than Crews. Just looks more like a “truck”. All 5 of my 1500s were QCs. Personal preference, but I thought they still had plenty room in the backseat and I really liked the longer bed. I’m just happy to see the RAM still offers them. FWIW, The rebel looks outstanding with the quad cab.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tagalong on your trip. Love road trips! Keep us posted. Looks like the Ram is performing fine

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Great, I think all of us here would love to be doing just what you are with our new rigs. Thanks for bringing us along. Keep us posted.;)

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love reading this report. I'm still in the break in period but am averaging over 21 mpg on my QC 4x4 with 3.21s. I agree the ride is really nice on these trucks. On my first long highway drive, 24 mpg was noted. Traffic jams in the Kansas City metro and some commuting have brought the average down to 21, but still great MPG for a non E-T Hemi. Thanks again for your report, and for posting the pictures of your road trip.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Spending a few days hiking and exploring the mountains of southern Utah before we get back on the road to BC. With high altitude mountain driving my average MPG has dropped a bit, but check out the range to empty right after I filled up, love the 33 gallon tank!

Rambo Mileage 2.jpg

Fish Lake Utah, elevation 9,000 - the aspens were just past their peak but still nice color.

Rambo Fish Lake.jpg

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep the updates coming! I am enjoying your pictures as well.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have fun on the trip! Thanks for the updates

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
More pictures place. The truck and backdrop are beautiful! Videos would be nice too I know.... I'm demanding

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Made it to Baker City, Oregon today. About 2,000 miles so far, total overall mileage is down to 21.3 because we did a bunch of sightseeing and mountain driving in Utah and then today was blasting at 80 - 85 mph on the interstate for much of the day. I've been driving for speed, not efficiency - we have a LOT of miles to cover - and to be driving 80+ and still averaging better than 21 exceeds my expectations.

I just can't get over how comfortable the truck is for long driving days - many years and many miles traveling in my 98 Ram, this is so completely different I could just drive all day. Come to think of it, I have been! I am far less fatigued at the end of a 10-12 hour driving day than in any other vehicle I have ever owned.

It has been very painful to watch the bugs pile up on the front end and windshield every day within the first hour of driving - don't they know this is a new truck?

Off for the Canadian border tomorrow.

Rambo Oregon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread