5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG effect of 3.92 rear end

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Couple ways to look at this, as driving conditions and style will affect the outcome either way.

On a completely flat surface at a steady speed, say 75 mph, comparing two identical trucks, with the only difference being gear ratio, the lower gear will get better fuel economy as the engine is turning a slower speed. This is a general reference not factoring any extenuating circumstances.

However... insert variables into play and things change very rapidly. The following are a few scenarios as such.

Around town driving mostly - this removes gear ratio from the equation for multiple reasons. First off, higher ratios require less effort and pedal force to accelerate. 30% throttle may give you the acceleration you desire with a higher gear, where as you may need 50% to achieve the same with a lower gear ratio. Second, you generally never sit in the overdrive gears long enough to notice the economy difference in town as you don’t achieve speeds requiring such gears. Third, when factoring in hills and terrain other then flat, the engine must downshift to the appropriate gear to maintain speed where as with higher gear ratios, often it will leave the truck in overdrive or higher gears.

Towing - should be self explanatory, but with a heavier load behind the truck, the lower gear ratio will require downshifting and more pedal force to maintain speeds or accelerate, where as higher gear ratios do not, and often can maintain speeds even up hill in overdrive.

Higher speed cruise, hills, mountains, wind resistance, lift kits, large tires etc... same deal here, once you reach a point where the throttle has to be opened substantially to maintain a speed, or accelerate to your liking, the higher gear ratios are going to have an advantage as it will require less effort to maintain, even though it may be at a higher rpm.

Low gears are great if you drive across country, or on long distances often, or drive responsibly, but for any other conditions, I feel higher ratios are always advantageous.

For what it’s worth, I bought my truck in Tucson and drove it back to Albuquerque through flagstaff (stopped in Phoenix) and maintained 85-90 mph the entire way, including through the mountains, and still averaged about 17-18 mpg for the trip, with the 3.92 gears. I left it on cruise and didn’t have to touch it through the mountains unless I got stuck behind trucks, and I imagine had I had the lower ratios, I likely would have been hot rodding it much more to get the speed and acceleration I needed, worsening the fuel mileage.
Yep, agree 100%. In my case, she wanted the colors so I had to decide which dealer had what she wanted, and it was a 3.21 that was close by. If it had 3.92 that would have been “better” but hey, my 40 yrs of driving tells me that I’ve never had this much HP/TQ in anything except the ecoboost. The previous trucks were lucky to have 200 HP... Now that’s a difference!

Those were the days of 4.10’s being mandatory and many had 4.30 or 4.56 if they towed. Had to due to the gutless wonders we drove back then...

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I have a 3.92 loaded Laramie with ORP and 33 gallon tank. Only 750 miles on the truck so far but the display is showing about 13.7 MPG. Mix of city and highway (possibly a bit more city). I tell my wife to not look at that screen :/ The local gas station also shuts me down once I reach $100 on the fill up. The gas fill up hurts but with the 33 gallon tank it hurts a little less often.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have a 3.92 loaded Laramie with ORP and 33 gallon tank. Only 750 miles on the truck so far but the display is showing about 13.7 MPG. Mix of city and highway (possibly a bit more city). I tell my wife to not look at that screen :/ The local gas station also shuts me down once I reach $100 on the fill up. The gas fill up hurts but with the 33 gallon tank it hurts a little less often.

I've never quite gotten that $100 shut off thing. I've even see as low as $75, which with the return of over $3 a gallon (sorry Ca and Washington) its easy to hit that even with my puny 26 gallon tank. I get it that we are fortunate in the states to have such low fuel prices, our northern neighbor is like $5 a gallon.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never quite gotten that $100 shut off thing. I've even see as low as $75, which with the return of over $3 a gallon (sorry Ca and Washington) its easy to hit that even with my puny 23 gallon tank. I get it that we are fortunate in the states to have such low fuel prices, our northern neighbor is like $5 a gallon.
True that. I remember the days of $4+ gasoline (2009), and the truck I had at the time had a 45-gallon tank (with a 496 under the hood). I may have hit the $75 limit twice in one fill-up!

Tac747

Reaction score
Thank you both for your input, and I'm sure I'll be following your recommendation! ;) If there really isn't a difference in MPG, then why is FCA offering the 3.21 at all? The logical side of me says that they had to have a reason to offer the 3.21...but what is that reason?

I'm so glad I found this forum, as I've learned a lot...I'm very thankful I didn't already order one, as this forum has modified some of the choices I would have made 2 months ago!
They offer the 3.21 because thats the only way they can get the 21 MPG rating on the highway

Andress

Reaction score
I do 99.9% city driving and I have the 3.92 on my 2019 Ram. My MPG is approx 13.5mpg right now but I am only at 220 miles so the engine isn't even broken in yet.

Same, i was wondering if it was just me. I’m at 260miles and i’m getting 12-12.5mpg right now. Whats your truck getting now and what mileage are you at?

chad202

Reaction score
I have 3.21 and if I tow anything it’ll be a bassboat. Can’t see any reason why I’d ever need the 3.92s. Pulls better than any GM I’ve had with 3.73s. 400ftlbs of torque is plenty enough and I can take advantage of the fuel economy.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
SpeedyV - is there anything you didn’t order on your truck? Or is that just a factory press release for all the options that are available? Ha Ha, must be a reaaalllly nice rig!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SpeedyV - is there anything you didn’t order on your truck? Or is that just a factory press release for all the options that are available? Ha Ha, must be a reaaalllly nice rig!
The tow mirrors and engine block heater ;)

Thanks, @Willworkfortruck. I only added those details to my signature to add clarity; another member assumed all “Level 1” packages are the same, for example.

I posted some pics early on in this thread. Cheers!

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I always go with the gears if I have an option to, so 3.92 it was for me. I think my mileage is fine. I average 16 with most in town. I can get 20 on the highway ... Even with the cruise set near 80mph. My last Ram was an '05 SRT-10 Quad Cab. It was high single digits, so this new one seems like a Prius by comparison. Sorry to use the P word in this forum ;-)

eskiv80

Reaction score
I have been around 19.5 mpg with my 3.92 gears with about 3200 miles on the truck. It’s about where my ‘15 with 3.21 gears was before I put 275/65-20 e rated tires. Then it was around 17.5. Not much highway driving. Mainly 2 lane 55-60 mph.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I had a real hard time choosing between the 3.92 and 3.21. I finally decided on the 3.92 non E Torque then fate slapped me upside the head in the form of no deal, so I ended up with a AWD Limited hemi 3.21 CC. Today was its 1st long highway trip, including going up to the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Raleigh area, so a steady climb to maybe 3000 feet. started at 80 miles and 13 avg mpg, ended at 18.6 at 341 miles going 65-70 for 90% of the 160 mile roundtrip. Not bad for still being broken in.

Attachments

• C6919C8E-DBFD-4416-8C2F-BB4B4017C581.jpeg
    C6919C8E-DBFD-4416-8C2F-BB4B4017C581.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 32

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Best mileage I have seen with my 3:21
f0505ec8abdaf869af3357cfb272a814.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Best mileage I have seen with my 3:21
f0505ec8abdaf869af3357cfb272a814.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thats impressive at 79 mph. I hope when broken in ours sees the same good numbers!

While I don't tow and live in the flatter land of NC, there was plenty of zoom on tap with the 3.21’s. Now the 3.92’s would get you up to speed faster, no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Had about 2000 miles at the time.was heading from Dallas to Memphis. This was just as I got to Memphis...I am sure it is down hill from Little Rock to the Mississippi River.

I had the cruise set at "speed limit+9" the whole way.

I get right around 12 in town.

2wd

Reaction score
This ZF transmission is so good. I came from an f150 and I loved the 5.0 for sure, but this trans is so nice on the highway compared to the Ford 6 speed I came from. Better passing power with downshifts and better MPG when cruising.

Looking forward to trying out a tow trip next month to compare to my F150 (~8k travel trailer on deck).

Shootin' Nuke

Reaction score
So far I've got about 700 miles on my Ram. I'm getting around 14-16 MPG in town and about 18-19 MPG on the highway. A good friend of mine has an almost identical truck, except he has 3.21 gears. His highway mileage is floating around 20 MPG. I'm happy with my decision to get 3.92 gears as I plan on doing some towing with the truck. My 33 gallon tank helps make range a non-issue.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You had an F150 also? We liked the truck but the super cab didnt work as well as I had hoped, the 6.5 bed was enough to camp with but i cheaped out with a lot special that wasnt set up for towing and had too low of a payload. Fast forward 4 years later and I have a shorter bed, a higher payload, just as capable of an engine and a better ride. Plus she likes the Ram better (Ltd vs XLT). Course it was $22K more expensive but, “thats why I work”.

chad202

Reaction score
you never really know what you’re getting. Times running 70 I’m at 23 on instant and times it’s 18. Don’t see wind or up/downhill but it’s there. Since purchase and now have 6500 miles, I’m at 18.2. That’s everyday driving sometimes stop and go, sometimes pulling my boat, sometimes nice 50mph cruise. Unless another truck drives the same roads as another one does it’s all just numbers.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same, i was wondering if it was just me. I’m at 260miles and i’m getting 12-12.5mpg right now. Whats your truck getting now and what mileage are you at?
Im at 5,500k miles and Im getting 11.8-12.7mpg

Users who are viewing this thread