5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG computer lies - badly!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
33 Gallon tank and yours reports 705 until empty? That would be nice. My Rebel says 460 to 470 after I fill up that 33 gallon tank.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a new to me 2020 with a well broken in 75k miles on the 3.6l v6. I have not gone back to work on base so my primary driving is in town/country roads. My avg mpg usually varies quite a bit, i dont look at the fuel economy screen in the EVIC but when I reset my trip A it usually pretty close to my hand calculated mileage. My understanding with my previous Ram was that the average mpg readout is the last -200 miles or so where the trip is since you reset it. My tank is a 33 gallon and my range is approximately 705 upon fill up. I have never drained it so I have no idea what I can actually get on a tank but when I go back to commuting I will have more opportunity to see.
The 'average' period continuingly updates from the last reset, terminates and begins a new averaging period at the next reset. There is no selective portion of the average miles used.

Immediately after a reset the Distance To Empty (DTE) will be based on the average mpg of the previous period. As you start to accumulate miles the DTE miles number will be updated based on the average of the current period. At the next reset it will begin a new period.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052505 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread