5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG Better Than Expected

OhioCamper52

Reaction score
I took my new 2023 ecodiesel for a highway trip to test mpg. Because I have the 3.92 axle, I anticipated less than the window sticker rating of 29 mpg. After the 100 mile round trip, the vehicle display showed that I obtained 34 mpg. I drove at highway speeds (I averaged 65 mph , but up to 75 mph to stay with traffic). When I later filled up after two weeks of city/highway combined, I calculated 28 mpg, which exactly matched the mpg that the vehicle showed.

Based on my experience with my previous Hemi Rebel, the 3.92 axle resulted in a 2 mpg drop in mpg over that stated on the window sticker. There was no mpg loss in the Rebel with the 3.92 axle in town or towing, (it just ran in a higher transmission gear to compensate for the axle ratio). For those experiencing lower mpg than stated on the window sticker, the biggest factor is speed. These beasts are not very aerodynamic and there is a lot of wind resistance at 80 mph. I will post again after more experience with the ecodiesel and when I start towing my travel trailer again.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I am not sure how they calculate. Sometimes mine is dead on and sometimes it's off by up to 4-5 mpg.
I do service work and travel a lot. Today was my first true cold weather trip. The entire trip it was -8 to -15 F below.
I averaged 21.9 mpg. Will verify tomorrow morning but if that's accurate I will be very happy.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread