5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MotorTrend eTorque Review and Info

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great 5th Gen Rams article here, but there is also one from MotorTrend that answers some long-standing questions and gives a few other tidbits:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/1500/2019/2019-ram-1500-etorque-first-drive-review/

• V6 eTorque is water cooled because the generator sits backwards in the bay and thus can't be air cooled. It's also heavier than the V8 implementation due to the water cooling (V6 120 lbs, V8 90 lbs). [Update - several other pubs list the V6 eTorque weight at 105 lbs so we'll have to see what's correct.]
  • Under fast brake to acceleration, eTorque can provide up to 1/2 of the tire rotation
  • System can power car from 48V battery rather than increasing generator load to improve economy
  • V6 system is made by Continental and rated at 12hp
  • V8 system is made by Magneti Marelli
  • LG Chem makes the battery cells and battery pack weighs 30 lbs. Pack rated at 430 whr but only ever uses 130 whrs to ensure long life.
  • 48V system to stay below 50V "high voltage" threshold
  • Wider 8-rib belt with tensioners on both sides of it
  • eTorque models have a larger crankshaft pulley
  • eTorque detects any belt slippage due to water and compensates until dry. Belt rated for 10y/150,000 miles.
Other interesting questions:
Should Ram have made a badge on the car to indicate hybrid? Almost goes against the engineering to make it seamless.
Is the AC pulley smaller to compensate for the larger crankshaft pulley?

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And Forbes just answered another question:
"Since lithium ion batteries still have significant power loss at sub-zero temperatures, the eTorque equipped engines also retain the conventional starter motor and 12V lead acid battery to use for reliable cold starts."

And one other nugget of efficiency:
"With the limited size of the battery, when driving in stop and go traffic or down a longer grade, it can easily reach its charge capacity from regenerative braking. Rather than wasting the energy that can’t be stored, it is redirected to speed up the cooling fan and super-cool the radiator. Thus when the truck comes to a stop in hotter weather, it can act as a heat sink for the engine when it isn’t running, enabling longer shutdowns and better fuel efficiency."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabu...orque-getting-mildly-hybridized/#52f6b15c47e1

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Also answered the lifespan question. Belt was stated to last 10 yrs/150,000 miles minimum and batteries (due to limited discharge rate) are also designed to be "lifetime"

TalibanHater

Reaction score
Some good Etorque info here. I'm still on the fence about it. I test drove an etorque here in hell/Phoenix. It was 115+ outside, Etorque wouldn't activate because its too hot. I even turned the damn AC off and baked, it still didn't turn on. Its hot enough here enough months of the year that i really don't think I'll ever get real ROI out of it under 8-10 years.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely a good article. Not too happy that we asked some of the same questions and got non answers but there were different guys presenting on different days I was told.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Car and Driver also puts the V6 system at 105 lbs but also makes note that the MGU's are rated as follows:

V6: 12hp & 39 lb-ft
V8: 16hp & 49 lb-ft
and both are torque multiplied by the pulley diameters (crankshaft and MGU) to achieve their rated torque.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-ram-1500-etorque-hybrid-pickup-drive

They also mention this about the AC system which I'd like more information on how this works:
"Unlike regular stop/start systems, eTorque has air conditioning capable of blowing cold air when the engine isn't turning, even though it has a conventional belt-driven A/C compressor."

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Car and Driver also puts the V6 system at 105 lbs but also makes note that the MGU's are rated as follows:

and both are torque multiplied by the pulley diameters (crankshaft and MGU) to achieve their rated torque.

They also mention this about the AC system which I'd like more information on how this works:
"Unlike regular stop/start systems, eTorque has air conditioning capable of blowing cold air when the engine isn't turning, even though it has a conventional belt-driven A/C compressor."
Good info there.

TalibanHater

Reaction score

Lemme tell you first hand, it didt work in Phoenix.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Our Etorque don't kick in on the drive home when it's over 100 but it has worked on my drive into work when it's 85-95 degrees. I'm guessing 100 is the threshold. I'm anticipating it's going to be real good in the winter time here.

Users who are viewing this thread