5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motorcycle Ramp Question

frankd

Reaction score
This is my first pickup truck and I had a question about loading/unloading my sport bike (CBR600). I've seen some ramps that have an arc to them so that the bike doesn't bottom out on the tailgate. For those of you with sport bikes, do you find it necessary to get that type of ramp or will a regular straight ramp due? If you could share what kind of ramp you're using that would also be appreciated.

frankd

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you have 2 ramps or have help when loading/unloading? I'm just wondering how you go about walking the bike up the ramp without dropping it.

Htsderek

Reaction score
I bought two of these for loading my 97 GSXR. One ramp to roll the bike up and the other for me to walk up next to the bike. I've loaded my GSXR and a couple of others using these ramps, the only one that bottomed out was an old Harley.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-aluminum-folding-ramp

As you mention, the arc to the ramp is to keep the bike from bottoming out as it rolls from the ramp to the bed of the truck. Whether or not your CBR will bottom out will depend on the bike's ground clearance and the angle of the ramp to the truck bed. This angle will change based on the height of the tail gate and the angle of the truck, if the truck nose is lower than the tail gate it will increase the angle. If your are going to buy a ramp I'd say going with an arc'd ramp is a safe bet. If you've got access to a free one then you'd have to test it and see.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread