5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MOTOFAB leveling kit?????

Fbird

Reaction score
Talk to me!!!! New to RAMS not new to trucks. Poor boy suspension eater?
the 3 x 2 motofab kit.....while it raises the truck....does it cause cv angle issues? (kinda like twisting the bars on the front of a ford...yeah it works but rides like chit has bad bump steer and eats ball joints)

mplaramie

Reaction score
I personally never liked spacers/leveling kits. They always seem to cause more issues in the long run with UCA's, CV, etc. As everyone's budget and needs are different, I'd go for Bill's or Eibach kit at minimum. If you have the budget, you can always do Icon, Fox, king or full Carli. Really depends on your budget, what height/lift and how you will drive. We all have fallen in love with a wheel/tire combo and built around that. NOT the right way to go. Buy once, cry once......

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
If you can swing it I would also recommend a full lift. That said, I have the Motofab 3/2 kit on my RAM and had to swap the UCA's as well. The motofab kit threw off the angles to the point that an alignment could not be completed with the stock UCA's. After replacing the UCA's, all has been good for ~2 years.

There is one serious caveat though, If you plan on (or think you may) do any off roading, go with a true lift. My truck is primarily on the city streets, though I do tow a travel trailer a few times a year. So far so good and I have everything inspected at each oil change.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I also have the Motofab 3/2 on my truck. While it does clear my 35s, I feel that I sacrificed ride quality to get there. I also did mopar upper control arms at the same time as the spacers just for peace of mind. Now I wish I had just done adjustable struts from the start, so that’s probably my next project.

Fbird

Reaction score
Thnak you ALL for the input. I have NOT been in a strut truck before and wondered about the different types of lifts. I will be going coil over 4" set-up as I HOPE to use the actual TRAVEL of the suspension ...where we GO ;)

mplaramie

Reaction score
Smart to go with the struts vs level at this lift height. There are a ton of choices at several price points. Try to narrow down to a couple of options that meet your budget and objective. Once you do that, the forum can help to provide you with real world feedback to help you choose what's best for you.

One suggestion, try to keep it simple and go with a full kit from a specific manufacturer. This way e erything is meant to work together and one call for issues.

W Six

Reaction score
I'm following along a couple of lift/leveling threads.
My former truck was an 08 Tundra. It had a RC leveling puck in it when I bought it. I liked the stance and the ride was good, espe after switching to some new HD Monroe strut carts.
In my mind, I can’t see a difference as to how an adjustable strut assembly is any different than just using a “puck” to level the 1500.
In my eye, it seems they both do the same thing…
what am I missing?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
You’ll need UCAs for sure. Prob Better to go with full strut lift tho

mplaramie

Reaction score
@W Six The spacers are fine but could cause issues due to preload, lack of additional travel, ect. Plus, as others have said, UCA'S are always recommended at anything 2" or more whether it's a strut or spacer lift.

As with everything, it depends on budget and how you use your Ram. If it's for looks ONLY, go with a spacer and UCA'S. If you do anything other than pavement, then a strut lift is a better option. I've had both and with the spacers, alignment was always a PITA......

W Six

Reaction score
Got it. I hadn’t thought of the length of travel available besteem the two options. Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
@W Six The spacers are fine but could cause issues due to preload, lack of additional travel, ect. Plus, as others have said, UCA'S are always recommended at anything 2" or more whether it's a strut or spacer lift.

As with everything, it depends on budget and how you use your Ram. If it's for looks ONLY, go with a spacer and UCA'S. If you do anything other than pavement, then a strut lift is a better option. I've had both and with the spacers, alignment was always a PITA......
there’s no preload with top hat spacers, as you don’t insert it into the spring. It just makes the truck ride further into its normal travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online