5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motocraft oil in Ram

Juli_hoop

Reaction score
So I took my truck to the dealership for the floor mat recall and while I was there I decided to get an oil change. I asked the service guy what type of full synthetic oil they use and he said they use Rotella gas truck for Rams. After looking at the paperwork, it turns out they used motocraft full synthetic which is what they use in fords I believe (dealership is a Ford/Ram dealer). Any cause for concern? Or will it be fine until my next oil change? (5k miles)

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ford oil which actually cause the Ram to explode after a few hundred miles. The little blue oval shaped molecules in it are completely incompatible with FCA engines, which are designed for regular non-blue oval oil.

Just teasing. :devilish: As others stated, it will be fine. Its not the best oil out there, but its definitely not bad oil.

Icecoldak

Reaction score
Thats why I always change my own oil and put what the heck I want in it and not worry about the crap oil the dealer uses---do you really know what any dealer uses, NO cause you dont see it!

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
umm.. a Ford/RAM dealership?...never seen one of them before. You sure about that?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The pistons will weld themselves to the cylinder walls, get that stuff out lol

To be serious I had the free oil change done at the dealership without any clue what they used. The little voice in my head got real loud and made me change it out after 1500 miles. Was it waste? Sure. Do I feel better? Yes

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
umm.. a Ford/RAM dealership?...never seen one of them before. You sure about that?
They exist and even right next to each, Summit, NJ.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

bwsRam19

Reaction score
conoco phillips makes motorcraft oil according to google search.....

sicpuppy

Reaction score
I think for the most part we prefer the brand of oil our dads used.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha...I can see that for a lot of people. Not in my case though. My dad used bulk oil from the shop where he worked. Which occasionally changed brands whenever they renewed their oil contract, and was whichever brand gave them the best deal. But that was in the 70's and 80's. Oils have changed a lot since then, and my oil decisions are not influenced by what he used. If I remember correctly it was straight 30 wt oil, no matter what the brand.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So true for many folks. Same with the vehicles we drive, beer we drink, guns we shoot (and caliber), etc, etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread