5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most reliable (power) modifications?

Cross88

Reaction score
Looking for input on what y’all would think the most reliable (power) modifications would be for a daily driver and occasional tow pig. Any and all suggestions are welcome, and yes I expect to hear “just keep it stock, it’s plenty powerful”.

derp

Reaction score
the low hanging fruit is generally intake and exhaust. if you don't give a damn about the sound then there's room for play.

derp

Reaction score
other bolt on or easier performance and performance perception things are -
the pedal mods for faster throttle response
lower weight wheels - steelies can have a lower weight per wheel, and lower weight for an equal diameter is a better angular momentum .
pump 89 octane. the engine can take 87 but will dial back the performance according to the owners manual.
smaller cabs have less creature comforts and those fun things are weight.
2wd has a better percentage of driveline power delivery to the drive wheel than 4x4 spinning the front axle/diff .
Windows up and tailgate up is more aero efficient than down. the tailgate thing seems contrary, but a lot of aero design has been put into it.

if you are going to go hooning for a quick burst , less gas is more. a full tank is a boat anchor you are carrying about.

this is all pretty much shade tree thinking about the cheap ways to get a touch more oomph.

Cross88

Reaction score
Currently set up with a carven muffler swap, 2wd with rear lowering springs. I run 89oct. I’ve been thinking about a pedal commander/equivalent or pulsar and a drop in air filter. Yes a supercharger and tune would be lovely and may come way down the line. Just more curious if there is anything else out there that I’m not finding and missing. Thank for the inputs thus far.

derp

Reaction score
Currently set up with a carven muffler swap, 2wd with rear lowering springs. I run 89oct. I’ve been thinking about a pedal commander/equivalent or pulsar and a drop in air filter. Yes a supercharger and tune would be lovely and may come way down the line. Just more curious if there is anything else out there that I’m not finding and missing. Thank for the inputs thus far.
JATO

Maxram

Reaction score
I currently have a carven muffler and pulsar. S&B intake coming soon. I definitely notice a pretty significant difference with the pulsar in performance with MDS off.

Cross88

Reaction score
I currently have a carven muffler and pulsar. S&B intake coming soon. I definitely notice a pretty significant difference with the pulsar in performance with MDS off.

which mds off setting do you run? I run 89 oct, don’t really want to run 91 or 93 and was thinking of just sticking with the tow mds off tune.

Cross88

Reaction score
Nvm I re read your comment, forgive me I’m running on a 1 hr nap in the past 30hrs. You were talking about performance mode, have you ran it in towing mode.... perhaps while towing and unloaded.

Maxram

Reaction score
Nvm I re read your comment, forgive me I’m running on a 1 hr nap in the past 30hrs. You were talking about performance mode, have you ran it in towing mode.... perhaps while towing and unloaded.
I've ran it in tow as well, seems like it's just a little less responsive on the throttle vs performance mode but definitely helpful when towing. For the money I think it's a great add on. I may consider a custom tune down the road but for now I'm happy with the results. I run 93.

Maxram

Reaction score
The pulsar also seems to be happier when traction control is off (at least in performance mode). I mostly run in performance with MDS off and TC off. Its addicting lol

Cross88

Reaction score
The pulsar also seems to be happier when traction control is off (at least in performance mode). I mostly run in performance with MDS off and TC off. Its addicting lol

i bet lol but I really don’t feel like running premium, I already run premium in the wife’s explorer ST. So I think I would just run 89 and tow mds off. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. How long have you had the pulsar? Any issues?

Maxram

Reaction score
i bet lol but I really don’t feel like running premium, I already run premium in the wife’s explorer ST. So I think I would just run 89 and tow mds off. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. How long have you had the pulsar? Any issues?
I hear ya, no problem! I've had it for about 2 months, no issues whatsoever.

canative

Reaction score
I have the Pulsar and run in performance mode with MDS off, using 91 octane. Can really feel the difference over stock. Medium take offs and the tires will chirp pretty good!

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
I have the Pulsar and run in performance mode with MDS off, using 91 octane. Can really feel the difference over stock. Medium take offs and the tires will chirp pretty good!
Can you change the wheel and tire size with the pulsar?

MikeS54

Reaction score
I noticed a Throttle Body wasn't really mentioned here. Isn't Moe's performance one supposed to decent for a bolt on?

Users who are viewing this thread