5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Parts Shortage Example: Big Horn Fog Lights / Taillights

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So not sure if this specific part of the truck has been mentioned but it looks like '21 Big Horns with the Premium LED Lighting Group only get the headlights in the LED configuration rather than the Headlights, Taillights, and Fog Lights like previously. The other lights are halogen. Previous Year 5th Gens could mix and match headlights and taillights with LED vs Halogen, however 2021 MY would get you all 3 Lights as LED, if equipped with Premium LED Package; until April-May 2021.

Thought the main chip/part shortage impacted Blind Spot Monitoring, specifically for the Laramie; but lights must also be a problem. Pricing is still the same, $995...

Big Horn.png

TO_406

Reaction score
So I did some detective work on this. I ordered a Big Horn with the prem. light group in April, and would be pretty upset if it arrives w/o all of the LEDs I'm paying for.

This particular dealer has several Big Horns that are exactly, or near exactly the same (Same color, night package, etc.) One of these has the prem. light group, while the rest do not. If you browse images from the truck w/ the prem. lights vs. one of the trucks that do not, you will find that some of the exterior pictures are the exact same image. If you open them side by side, this becomes pretty apparent. Everything is identical, including the reflections on the paint. My optimistic assumption here, is that the dealer simply uploaded the same exterior pics for these trucks since they look so similar anyways, which means the posting for the truck w/ LEDs has exterior pictures of a different truck w/o LEDs.

I could be wrong here (have certainly been wrong before, and will be again :)) but I really hope I'm right! Otherwise I'm in for some uncomfortable conversations with my dealer once my truck arrives.

Oilslick

Reaction score
I ordered a 2021 Ram Bighorn B.T.S. edition which supposed to be equipped with the LED light package. I didn't get the truck yet since it's still in the build process but I did get my "build sheet" from Ram's "webselfdervice/BuildSheetServlet" and it shows that it is equipped with the optional LED taillamps, LED fog lights and the LED reflector headlamps. If it doesn't actually have them, I'd be surprised and disappointed. I'll advise for certain when I finally get delivery on it.

😎

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I did some detective work on this. I ordered a Big Horn with the prem. light group in April, and would be pretty upset if it arrives w/o all of the LEDs I'm paying for.

This particular dealer has several Big Horns that are exactly, or near exactly the same (Same color, night package, etc.) One of these has the prem. light group, while the rest do not. If you browse images from the truck w/ the prem. lights vs. one of the trucks that do not, you will find that some of the exterior pictures are the exact same image. If you open them side by side, this becomes pretty apparent. Everything is identical, including the reflections on the paint. My optimistic assumption here, is that the dealer simply uploaded the same exterior pics for these trucks since they look so similar anyways, which means the posting for the truck w/ LEDs has exterior pictures of a different truck w/o LEDs.

I could be wrong here (have certainly been wrong before, and will be again :)) but I really hope I'm right! Otherwise I'm in for some uncomfortable conversations with my dealer once my truck arrives.
Yeah that’s a thing, but my point is look at the fog lights. Those are not the LED fog lights…

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s a thing, but my point is look at the fog lights. Those are not the LED fog lights…
That's what got my attention too. You wouldn't see LED headlights combined with halogen fog lights on a new truck unless they changed the configuration of the LED upgrade package.

TO_406

Reaction score
Dang, I wouldn't know enough about the fog lights to be able to tell the difference in the pictures. I guess I'll hold my breath and report back on what my truck actually has when it arrives!

I did confirm on my build sheet it references LED Head, Fog, and Tail lamps so hopefully it comes with all the right equipment but time will tell.

TO_406

Reaction score
Upon further review, the LED fog lights are definitely more rectangular than round.....I'm seeing the difference now

TO_406

Reaction score
Following up here, I brought my new truck home last night. Thankfully, it has all of the LEDs it should. Hopefully the truck posted above w/ the halogen fogs is just an anomaly.

Users who are viewing this thread