5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More in the tank??

DOFF

Reaction score
Finding the 33 gallon tank with other options needed was difficult when I was buying so I got he 26 gal instead. Dealership said it was 26 gal. Vin and window sticker show 26 gal. Yet when I fill, the most I can put in is 22. I’ve ran my fuel down as low as I can, yesterday had a range of 19 miles left and fuel needle was below the red. Could only put in 22.91 gallons.

Once or twice I’ve gotten that low before, maybe lower, and noticed my range then jump by approx 50 miles and fuel needle came back up above red.

Anyone else have this issue? Does the truck “tap into reserves” for those extra couple gallons? Or do I actually have the 23gal?

Thanks for the help.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only ever gotten like 25 gallons in my 26, but that time I was below 10 miles "left". Figured I had a 1-1.5 gallon reserve. Been meaning to run it dry to see how far I can actually go.

If you can fill up 23 with range left I doubt you have the 23 gallon tank. Your gauge may be a little more conservative than other trucks. Depending on how you drove, that 19 miles left may have accounted for 1.5-2 gallons in the computer's calculations leaving you with a 1-1.5 gallon reserve.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no "reserves". Auto manufacturers have just adjusted the DTE numbers and fuel guage to try and help prevent people from running out of gas. I have put 25.5 gallons into my 26 gallon tank before. That required running for about 30 miles after the DTE read zero. I wanted to see how far I could push it. This has been a thing for the last 20+ years. My 99 Dakota with 22 gallon tank would read zero miles to empty and be on red for the guage, but I could still drive 40 more miles and barely get 21 gallons pumped in. The low fuel light would come in when it hit about 50 DTE miles.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no "reserves". Auto manufacturers have just adjusted the DTE numbers and fuel guage to try and help prevent people from running out of gas. I have put 25.5 gallons into my 26 gallon tank before. That required running for about 30 miles after the DTE read zero. I wanted to see how far I could push it. This has been a thing for the last 20+ years. My 99 Dakota with 22 gallon tank would read zero miles to empty and be on red for the guage, but I could still drive 40 more miles and barely get 21 gallons pumped in. The low fuel light would come in when it hit about 50 DTE miles.
Right, it's not an actual "reserve" that kicks on when you hit 0, but the gauges are conservative to keep people from running out like you said. Easier to say the truck keeps fuel "in reserve". My 97 Blazer would die when the gauge hit E. Learned that the hard way.

DOFF

Reaction score
I figured I had the 26 but second guess when the needle is below red and can only get 22 gallons in. Thanks for the help.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not much different with my 33 gallon tank. I can run my range down to 0 and still only able to put just over 29 gallons in.

Guess I would rather have that extra remaining instead of running out early.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The most I ever got into my 26 gallon tank is 23.5 gallons, and that's after hitting zero on the DTE. Clearly the manufacturers know we are stupid when it comes to eeking out range.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not much different with my 33 gallon tank. I can run my range down to 0 and still only able to put just over 29 gallons in.

Guess I would rather have that extra remaining instead of running out early.
I put in over 31 once. That had me nervous, as I’m normally seeing the same 29.X as you. Might have just been a quirk of the mileage I got on that tank.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's possible you have your unit misconfigured for a smaller fuel tank.
I have put in over 30 gallons into my 33 gallon tank.

Users who are viewing this thread