5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Horsepower?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of us on this forum would love there to be higher performance engine options...For the minority who do not, there is the V6 option. I for one would like nothing better than a naturally aspirated next-gen 426 HEMI in my Longhorn...In the next year or two Ram will be offering new higher power engine options-we all know about the TRX but it will be interesting to see what other offerings there are across all trims...
The older 426 cu. in. street hemi of bygone years produces only a little more power than the (5.7L) 348 cu. in. engine that we have.
The street Hemi version was rated at 425 bhp (431 PS; 317 kW) at 5000 rpm SAE gross and 490 lb⋅ft (664 N⋅m) at 4000 rpm of torque equipped with a pair of four-barrel Carter AFB carburetors.[20] In actual dynamometer testing, it produced 433.5 hp (323 kW; 440 PS) and 472 lb⋅ft (640 N⋅m) of torque in purely stock form.[21] Chrysler's sales literature[22] published both the gross 425 hp (317 kW; 431 PS) and net 350 hp (261 kW; 355 PS) ratings for 1971.
These Rams actually make more power than a lot of the '60- '70 era muscle cars.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Gads and ‘tuning’/adjusting dual 4 barrel carbs... remember the Pontiac triple carb motor? What a headache!
(begin quoted portion of article)
END OF THE LINE FOR THE GTO TRI-POWER
The Tri-Power option remained available throughout the 1964 and 1965 model years, but changing technologies and a waning desire for many muscle car fans to take up the admittedly time-consuming task of synchronizing carb linkages conspired to make multiple-carburetor setups largely obsolete outside of serious racing and enthusiast applications. By mid-1966, the Tri-Power option went away in favor of the four-barrel single Rochester carb.

Even to this day, seeing a 389-powered Goat with a triple-carb setup is quite a sight to behold. While direct fuel injection and other hot-shot ways of metering fuel are par for the course, the Tri-Powered Pontiac GTO represented a time when drastic creative measures were met with some rather wild resorts.”
1612104881509.jpeg

rturner026

Reaction score
Yes, for gosh sakes lets have more horsepower....not. I think making these things more powerful is just a brain dead idea. Put that technology to making smaller engines and better efficiency.
More horsepower = more efficient

sdramsey24

Reaction score
My truck flat out gets it from a stand still or on the freeway. This transmission is absurdly good!

I would appreciate more torque when I'm towing my travel trailer. HP is fine but I could use another 100 to 150 ft lbs. I've looked into bolt on stuff but haven't gotten serious about it. The cheapest and most reliable route may be to trade in my TT for an ultra-lite trailer.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I would appreciate more torque when I'm towing my travel trailer. HP is fine but I could use another 100 to 150 ft lbs. I've looked into bolt on stuff but haven't gotten serious about it.
Forced induction is the only practical way to get what you want.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Forced induction is the only practical way to get what you want.
I agree. I’ve looked into headers, cam and rocker arms. Meh. It’s have to be a supercharger. I’m good on all that.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I agree. I’ve looked into headers, cam and rocker arms. Meh. It’s have to be a supercharger. I’m good on all that.
Yeah, unfortunately, the only way to gain that much additional torque is through increased displacement and/or increased compression. Forced induction "effectively" provides both. The good news is it shouldn't require a ton of boost to get those kind of numbers.

Boston

Reaction score
The adoption of the 8 speed ZF was a brilliant move by FCA, it improved economy, giving them a leg to stand on without engine replacement. Breathing room to make up for the delayed engine program.....But the competition have improved their products and the lack of development is catching up with Ram.

Omiester2

Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts or knowledge of a HP/torque bump in 2020, excluding the rebel TRX?

The Hemi is awesome but Ford and GM are running away with the power race. It would be sweet to see higher power for the street models
With you guys love some more go juice. I think MOPAR is drifting to EVs. Heck they can push more HP and Torque...great! But how far can I get the battery and please don't redesign to an ugly as crap body. Seems like many companies have hired the guy who designed AMC Pacer and Gremlin for the body engineering....hello Tesla and Riavan!

Users who are viewing this thread