5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Horsepower?

psuds

Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts or knowledge of a HP/torque bump in 2020, excluding the rebel TRX?

The Hemi is awesome but Ford and GM are running away with the power race. It would be sweet to see higher power for the street models

Last edited:

alangsam

Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts or knowledge of a HP/torque bump in 2020, excluding the rebel TRX?

The Hemi is awesome but Ford and GM are running away with the power race. It would be sweet to see higher power for the street models

I’m not sure fca can afford a new v8 which are billion dollar investments.
The Hemi and pentastar are behind in that they don’t even have direct injection which would give
more HP and better mileage. I think the Trx will be the halo high hp model since they already have the investment on that motor.

Expect more in the way of hybrid (more than etrorque) to boost power and epa ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackham

Reaction score

Yes, for gosh sakes lets have more horsepower....not. I think making these things more powerful is just a brain dead idea. Put that technology to making smaller engines and better efficiency.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing. My long gone 2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost with 3.55's had more oomph than this non-E Torque hemi with 3.21 gears. I have not had it up in the mountains yet (will tomorrow) but the Ford was really nice for high altitude. I was surprised that the Ram had not increased either HP or Tq in years, however, power wasn't the selling point for me (us), the ride was. I would like for Ram to offer DI and tweak the Tq some for 2020.

GRB

Reaction score
I have the V8 Hemi with the 3.92 gears and I've found the horsepower to be quite exciting just as it is. I definitely have both hands on the wheel when gunning it. I personally wouldn't want any more horsepower in a family truck.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Within limits of course, the old saying that “you can never be satisfied with what you have when something else seems nicer” comes to mind. Thats marketing. Take a perfectly good engine (hemi) and then show that yours (competitor) is faster, stronger etc... It works all the time. Same with the towing wars in half-tons. Never mind that the truck is incapable of stopping or handling those over 12K trailers, but like Toyota showed, “if it can pull the space shuttle then its really neat”.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have the V8 Hemi with the 3.92 gears and I've found the horsepower to be quite exciting just as it is. I definitely have both hands on the wheel when gunning it. I personally wouldn't want any more horsepower in a family truck.
By the way, did you purchase the Gator tonneau specifically vs the MOPAR or some other? I’m trying to determine what I want...

Truckin

Reaction score
Most of us on this forum would love there to be higher performance engine options...For the minority who do not, there is the V6 option. I for one would like nothing better than a naturally aspirated next-gen 426 HEMI in my Longhorn...In the next year or two Ram will be offering new higher power engine options-we all know about the TRX but it will be interesting to see what other offerings there are across all trims...

GRB

Reaction score
By the way, did you purchase the Gator tonneau specifically vs the MOPAR or some other? I’m trying to determine what I want...
Yes, I went with the Gator and like it. The frame is not as strong as the Lund I had on my previous truck, but it gets the job done at a good price. GB

wwalljr

Reaction score
Most of us on this forum would love there to be higher performance engine options...For the minority who do not, there is the V6 option. I for one would like nothing better than a naturally aspirated next-gen 426 HEMI in my Longhorn...In the next year or two Ram will be offering new higher power engine options-we all know about the TRX but it will be interesting to see what other offerings there are across all trims...
I’m with you on the 426!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Fords method of small displacement (mine was a 2.7) being asked to move a full sized truck means you are into the twin turbos a lot. Thats why they dont often get the claimed mpg in real use. If you are towing or even have much in the bed, or if you are in hilly country then you are spooling up those turbos.
Its like back in the day when 4 barrel carbs had small primaries, drivers found themselves into the secondaries too much and mileage went to crap. Except now its stress on the engine not just mpg’s.
Ford has a huge investment in their “ecoboost” technology and while it has excellent power/torque, it is working those mills hard! I mean their largest ecobost (3.5) is the size of the Pentstar, and their V8 (Coyote 5.0) is less displacement than the old 5.2 Dodge. All that makes for hardworking motors while the hemi sorta’ loafs along.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clean19

Reaction score
Fords method of small displacement (mine was a 2.7) being asked to move a full sized truck means you are into the twin turbos a lot. Thats why they dont often get the claimed mpg in real use. If you are towing or even have much in the bed, or if you are in hilly country then you are spooling up those turbos.
Its like back in the day when 4 barrel carbs had small primaries, drivers found themselves into the secondaries too much and mileage went to crap. Except now its stress on the engine not just mpg’s.
Ford has a huge investment in their “ecoboost” technology and while it has excellent power/torque, it is working those mills hard! I mean their largest ecobost (3.5) is the size of the Pentstar, and their V8 (Coyote 5.0) is less displacement than the old 5.2 Dodge. All that makes for hardworking motors while the hemi sorta’ loafs along.
Perfect! thank you for explaining that. I had come to that conclusion on my own regarding fords longevity, but didn't really think it effected mpg that much. Also, I never thought about the HEMI as loafing around, but great analogy.

Raydar

Reaction score
I just traded in an '05 Silverado with a 5.3. Had ~295 HP, and was no slouch. My new Ram has the Hemi and 3.92 gears. It's plenty for me. It's a 4x4 and sits higher than the Chevy did. It'll probably already go more quickly than I'll drive it. (Of course I've only had it for two days, so that may change. :D )
DI might be nice, but it's just something to add to the complexity. I keep hearing anecdotal stories about "coked up" intake valves, and bla, bla, bla. Yeah, I know. "Catch can".
Still...

Dominator211

Reaction score
I Would love to see FCA do what Ford has done with the 5.0 and just improve the current engine and make it better with newer tehcnologies

Users who are viewing this thread