5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Headlight Fun

Renegade3

Reaction score
I need the hive mind here as I’m running out of ideas. Two days ago my LED headlight (right side) started flickering. The the high beam gets illuminated and stays on even after turning the truck off. Contacted Retroshop and they send out another harness as we thought that was the issue. Installed the new one tonight, tested it at home and everything was good. Head out earlier this evening and I noticed a slight flicker from the right lamp. I turned the control from auto to on and the flickering stopped but the high beam came on in that light and stays on when the headlamp is on. When I change the HL selector to parking, the high shuts off but when the driving lamps are on, the high beam is on for that side only.
since the harness has been switched and the wiring looks good, what should I look at next?
They worked fine for over a month until I had the tires switched two days ago (coincidentally).

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery for two hours, reconnect, and try again. Could also switch right and left bulbs. That would tell you if it is the bulb. Sounds like aftermarket bulbs?

Renegade3

Reaction score
Disconnect the battery for two hours, reconnect, and try again. Could also switch right and left bulbs. That would tell you if it is the bulb. Sounds like aftermarket bulbs?
They’re the OEM LED headlights so I can’t switch the bulbs as they’re self contained. Appreciate the input though!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has it been raining or snowing lately? Could be moisture in the headlight assembly

Renegade3

Reaction score
Has it been raining or snowing lately? Could be moisture in the headlight assembly
It’s been dry with exception to today. It was good for a while but now I’m catching a flicker again. I’m thinking the light might be bad

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s been dry with exception to today. It was good for a while but now I’m catching a flicker again. I’m thinking the light might be bad
Where did you buy the headlight assemblies from? Did you use dielectric grease on the connectors?

Renegade3

Reaction score
Where did you buy the headlight assemblies from? Did you use dielectric grease on the connectors?
They came off of my friends 2020 ram Rebel when he changed his headlights. I did use DG. Would not using it cause a high beam to come on or flickering? I’m asking seriously...

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They came off of my friends 2020 ram Rebel when he changed his headlights. I did use DG. Would not using it cause a high beam to come on or flickering? I’m asking seriously...
Probably not very likely, but I suppose
it is possible if something shorted out. Next step would be to remove the suspect headlight assy and plug it into the harness on the other side and see if the condition follows. Good luck.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a minor fender bender last summer and had one of my LED lights replaced with a new OEM unit, on the way home from the body shop it developed a flicker with the lights off the high would flicker, lasted about 2 days then it cleared up. My best guess was their was some moisture in one of the connections or maybe the light itself as I said it cleared up after 2 days and no issues since.

Renegade3

Reaction score
I had a minor fender bender last summer and had one of my LED lights replaced with a new OEM unit, on the way home from the body shop it developed a flicker with the lights off the high would flicker, lasted about 2 days then it cleared up. My best guess was their was some moisture in one of the connections or maybe the light itself as I said it cleared up after 2 days and no issues since.
Was it the new light that flickered? Did you add the lights or did yours come with them?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to narrow it down.
That’s spot on for what is happening with mine. The passenger high flicks then comes on. On restart it’s fine

Derlant1983

Reaction score
When the Oem led lights came out for the jk wranglers there was a flickering issue that happened to people that upgraded from halogen lights to the new oem led headlights. Something to do with different power requirements, I think the solution was to have a dealer add the led option to the truck as ridiculous as this sounds. Maybe check out the jk forums for some ideas.

Renegade3

Reaction score
When the Oem led lights came out for the jk wranglers there was a flickering issue that happened to people that upgraded from halogen lights to the new oem led headlights. Something to do with different power requirements, I think the solution was to have a dealer add the led option to the truck as ridiculous as this sounds. Maybe check out the jk forums for some ideas.
Appreciate that! I did that with my 2017 Willys Wheeler. I’ll ask the dealer about it.
thanks!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Many dealers will give you a "you're an idiot" or a deer-in-the-headlights look if you ask them to do that, as many pass on the whole "that can only be done at the factory when its built" garbage.

Another way is to purchase a security bypass module, an appropriate Bluetooth OBD module, and AlphaOBD. That may give you the ability to switch the lights to LED in the computer, but you'd have to consult other AlphaOBD folks to confirm if its possible. I am not sure how it would affect the custom harness from Retroshop either (if it affects it at all).

riveralg79

Reaction score
I need the hive mind here as I’m running out of ideas. Two days ago my LED headlight (right side) started flickering. The the high beam gets illuminated and stays on even after turning the truck off. Contacted Retroshop and they send out another harness as we thought that was the issue. Installed the new one tonight, tested it at home and everything was good. Head out earlier this evening and I noticed a slight flicker from the right lamp. I turned the control from auto to on and the flickering stopped but the high beam came on in that light and stays on when the headlamp is on. When I change the HL selector to parking, the high shuts off but when the driving lamps are on, the high beam is on for that side only.
since the harness has been switched and the wiring looks good, what should I look at next?
They worked fine for over a month until I had the tires switched two days ago (coincidentally).

This just happened to mine… I bought the Retroshop Harness and 2 Brand new LED Headlights and now it flickers on the left and the high beam seems to be on the left side at random times… what did you do to fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riveralg79

Reaction score
This just happened to mine… I bought the Retroshop Harness and 2 Brand new LED Headlights and now it flickers on the left and the high beam seems to be on the left side at random times… what did you do to fix?

Now it seems that anytime my Headlights are on my Left high beam is on… does this eventually go away?

RC Turner

Reaction score
Did you get the computer reflashed after this change? CanBus systems require updating or they can cause all kinds of flaky operation.

Last edited:

riveralg79

Reaction score
How is that done? Dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread