5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Wireless Phone Charging Pad without factory CD Player

daustin

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie Crew Cab Ecodiesel with the 12" screen and I am looking to install the factory wireless phone charger, however, everything I have read says that the truck must be equipped with the factory CD player, which I do not have. I do have the full center console, aux power outlets and media hubs. In looking at the instructions, Step 23 shows a step "without CD player" (see below).

Has anyone successfully installed this upgrade in a truck that did not come equipped with the factory CD player? Who uses CD's now these days anyway! I just don't know why the instructions would say the CD player is a "must" when it could potentially be installed without it and goes on to show an installation step without it. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Ram CD Player.PNG

Capture.PNG

Dash.jpg

Ram .jpg

I also spent two hours trying to wrestle in the driver side Rugged rear wheelhouse liner without damaging the factory fender flare before I gave up and ripped it back out, but that is another story altogether. I'll try again once my patience has been restored, and I didn't even get to attempt the passenger side.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the wireless pad installed installed. I do not have the cd player. I don't see why that would matter at all. I do have the 8.4 radio. I will install it on my 2022 with 12" radio once it is here

daustin

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't know why it would matter either, but wanted to make sure as they went through the trouble to put that statement in the description.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't know why it would matter either, but wanted to make sure as they went through the trouble to put that statement in the description.
Is this Part #82215150AF? I looked at that and assumed it's because there'd be a cutout for the CD player, not necessarily that the wireless charging wouldn't work.

If you do the install, I'd definitely be interested in what it looks like and how it went.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 12" system came with the wireless charging without CD player, so it is possible to have one and not the other.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I installed mine myself and I don't have the CD player. To be honest, it is a complete waste of money as it is a crappy charger. Your phone has to sit just right in there and it barley charges when using Android Auto and Waze. I have the AAWireless so it doesn't need to be plugged in. I can't believe they didn't make it a fast charger or give it more power. I have a Samsung S20 Ultra so it's a big phone. I've tried with and without my case too.

daustin

Reaction score
Is this Part #82215150AF? I looked at that and assumed it's because there'd be a cutout for the CD player, not necessarily that the wireless charging wouldn't work.

If you do the install, I'd definitely be interested in what it looks like and how it went.
Yeah, I don't want a hole where the CD player would go, but there may be a cubby or blank plate or something I could get.

daustin

Reaction score
I installed mine myself and I don't have the CD player. To be honest, it is a complete waste of money as it is a crappy charger. Your phone has to sit just right in there and it barley charges when using Android Auto and Waze. I have the AAWireless so it doesn't need to be plugged in. I can't believe they didn't make it a fast charger or give it more power. I have a Samsung S20 Ultra so it's a big phone. I've tried with and without my case too.
This is great feedback. It may not be worth the hassle. Thanks.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't want a hole where the CD player would go, but there may be a cubby or blank plate or something I could get.
You just use your cubby in the space for the cd player.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I have no issues with the wireless Ram charger and would definately have installed it if the truck did not come with it. I use a Samsubg Galaxy S7 with an Otter Box case and no problem charging.

pcolaram1500

Reaction score
I actually ordered the wireless pad to install, but sent it back. I had a previous year ram with wireless and it was a pain placing my phone just right on the pad. Sounds like it’s 50/50 that it stills performs the same way. Anyways, got a couple MagSafes, painted them black. And Velcro’d on. Don’t really notice them there since it’s so dark in the console. The iPhone just snaps into place to charge.
e826052f15c871b3af384ba8c761f69c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody pulled power from a battery source instead that way you can still get a charge overnight without the truck having to be running. I’m considering installing this once again if I can get it to charge for example an iPod overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody pulled power from a battery source instead that way you can still get a charge overnight without the truck having to be running. I’m considering installing this once again if I can get it to charge for example an iPod overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don't the Type-C ports above the phone docks do this? My phone still charges when the truck is and it's plugged into that first port.

Wife and I just switched over to Verizon and ordered the S22 Ultras, so I'm revisiting how I want to set up charging. For my phone, not sure that I'll ever need wireless as I prefer to plug it in for Android Auto while I'm driving anyway. My wife wants the wireless charging, so I may just do something similar to what @pcolaram1500 did above.

Users who are viewing this thread