5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar powered running boards

JBeckman

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of installing some powered boards. For those who have them, can you measure from the bottom of the door to the extended out running board? Trying to get an idea of how much lower the step is compared to the factory tube I currently have. Also a pic of it tucked away. From a ground up point of view.

Also how do you like them?

I know I need to get the truck flashed after install. Since I have the 8.4, will it show up on the control screen, or is that just on the 12"?

Lablvr2

Reaction score
They came on my limited and to be honest you are better off getting amp research power steps. Oem steps are slow and bit more bulky. They don't tuck very clean. I installed amps on my 2015 and 2017 Laramies and they were awesome. Great conceal and from ground to step it was about 7 inches deployed. Oem steps will require trip to dealer for update to pcm.

Rebel Yell

Reaction score
I like the AMP steps as well, but I think the downside is that the dealer will not flash your system to give you the controls in your u-connect system.

19R3B3L

Reaction score
If you still haven't gotten any, RBP is bringing some out around June. They have them for 2500 and 3500 as of right now but still working on the 1500.

19R3B3L

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of installing some powered boards. For those who have them, can you measure from the bottom of the door to the extended out running board? Trying to get an idea of how much lower the step is compared to the factory tube I currently have. Also a pic of it tucked away. From a ground up point of view.

Also how do you like them?

I know I need to get the truck flashed after install. Since I have the 8.4, will it show up on the control screen, or is that just on the 12"?

If you still haven't gotten any, RBP is bringing some out around June. They have them for 2500 and 3500 as of right now but still working on the 1500

cotonymopar

Reaction score
the amp research ones are great, this is th 3rd truck I have them for. These are the plug and play, bolds to the studs they have under the body panels. It plugs into the diagnostic port under the drivers side dash. Real easy to install. instructions are pretty easy to follow... I have never had a problem with mine, needing an override switch, the motors will not burn up because they are made to sense if the step is frozen.... IMG_2803.JPG

JBeckman

Reaction score
the amp research ones are great, this is th 3rd truck I have them for. These are the plug and play, bolds to the studs they have under the body panels. It plugs into the diagnostic port under the drivers side dash. Real easy to install. instructions are pretty easy to follow... I have never had a problem with mine, needing an override switch, the motors will not burn up because they are made to sense if the step is frozen.... View attachment 21046
Very nice. I went with the override so when I give it a bath, they will stay deployed. Or the occasional carwash, i lower them and the place washes them. Then retract.

Steelheader99

Reaction score
Are you able to keep the steps deployed while parked? I ask this, because my old Tahoe had them and with the doors closed they retracted. I like having them deployed so a-holes don’t ding up the side of my vehicles. The running boards keep their doors from the sides of my truck. I’m purchasing my Mega with this option from the factory and am hoping that I can keep them extended while shopping at Walmart.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Are you able to keep the steps deployed while parked? I ask this, because my old Tahoe had them and with the doors closed they retracted. I like having them deployed so a-holes don’t ding up the side of my vehicles. The running boards keep their doors from the sides of my truck. I’m purchasing my Mega with this option from the factory and am hoping that I can keep them extended while shopping at Walmart.

If you added the override switch, yes you can. Otherwise they will close with the door. I believe there is a safety with the amp steps, meaning if something would get in the way of it closing, it would stay open. But I wouldnt want to have to do this every time to accomplish what your after.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
where is the override switch purchased from? i dont see it listed on their site

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have the factory ones that came with my Limited. No complaints whatsoever.

JBeckman

Reaction score

Rabbit929

Reaction score
I’m kind of leaning towards the factory ones as they have a cleaner install.
they install directly to theuse box under the hood instead of just plugginginto the obd1 port.
min curious to know who actually manufactures these, as amp research and the Mopar ones don’t seem to look much different aside from the motor speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online