5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Paint Protection Film. Worth it?

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
My PPF was $2500 installed….was Xpel brand and they use custom laser cut film that matched the contours, cutouts of the front end. Completely seamless.

Ceramic coat ran me $1600. A lot of the ceramic coat price isn’t so much the coating itself as it is the prep that goes into it. My truck didn’t need much, so he knocked $200 off the final price. read the fine print when getting a quote, some will say ‘level 2 paint correction’ or something of the like. That’s where a lot of the price is com8ng from.

Yes, I know this stuff costs a lot of money, but I saw it as an investment to ensure my truck stays pristine. Plus my cleaning time is a joy to do.
Well-stated. If keeping your vehicle clean is something you enjoy then going the ppf/coating route is the way to go.

Doing something like this is no different than spending thousands on off road prep. It's all a matter of what you enjoy doing in and with your truck.

Enjoy and roll big!

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well-stated. If keeping your vehicle clean is something you enjoy then going the ppf/coating route is the way to go.

Doing something like this is no different than spending thousands on off road prep. It's all a matter of what you enjoy doing in and with your truck.

Enjoy and roll big!
Also well stated!

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Enjoy and roll big!
I suppose if you are confident you will be keeping it for a long time, and taking a chance that expensive repairs crop up at the infamous "oh look, your powertrain warranty expired, let me break now" mile mark, and that you're willing to get it fixed.

But if you plan to trade up in 3-5 years, will you really get 3 or 4 grand more for it just because it's still in really good condition on the outside?

Cause in my experience, dealers barely even care about that (I mean, unless it's REALLY bad) because they can touch it up without much expense.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
I suppose if you are confident you will be keeping it for a long time, and taking a chance that expensive repairs crop up at the infamous "oh look, your powertrain warranty expired, let me break now" mile mark, and that you're willing to get it fixed.

But if you plan to trade up in 3-5 years, will you really get 3 or 4 grand more for it just because it's still in really good condition on the outside?

Cause in my experience, dealers barely even care about that (I mean, unless it's REALLY bad) because they can touch it up without much expense.
No argument from me on your point.

I don't do it for what might happen down the line. I do it for the sheer day-to-day enjoyment of my truck--a living example of a gentleman doing his thang.

brenan00

Reaction score
Yep! I did the PPF after a road trip to Florida. Wish I did it day one. Its amazing how many chips can come out of the front end in short time. I'm coming from a Laramie with chrome, so this is my first experience with a painted bumper.
Definitely best to get it done as soon as it get off the train. There are still a lot of contamination in the paint from the train and travel. So paint correction then then ppf then ceramic all over. The ppf is for protection, ceramic is for shine and ease of cleaning. Purist (concourse de elagamce types) will say ceramic will never have the depth and warmth that carnuba wax will give your paint. I had mine done with ceramic because I’m looking for a shortcut for keeping the truck looking clean. Later

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No argument from me on your point.

I don't do it for what might happen down the line. I do it for the sheer day-to-day enjoyment of my truck--a living example of a gentleman doing his thang.
Respect man. I totally get the idea of it being worth it to walk out to your truck and everyday it's shining like a mirror!

tctundra

Reaction score
So I just read through three pages of this discussion, and can’t find the answer to the basic question. Has anyone had the Mopar paint protection film applied from the factory? How is the coverage? Is it the whole front end? Mud sill, rocker panels, bumper? How does the quality compare to having it professionally applied in the shop. $800, financed with the vehicle, sounds like a hell of a good deal if the coverage is decent.

To add to all of the previous replies, I paid $900 in 2005 to have paint protection film applied to the bumper, front of the hood, mirrors, and a couple other small spots on a 110 series Land Cruiser. Held up extremely well, protected from rock chips, and allowed me to sleep at night since I get pretty picky about chips and scratches.

skidz88

Reaction score
I regret not doing PPF. I had the truck prepped and ceramic coated, and love the gloss and ease of cleaning it. But I didn't count on how **** the paint is on this truck. Just one year and 15k miles into ownership, the front end is chipped to hell. My last truck was a Titan and didn't have this many chips in it after 140k miles.

I don't tailgate or anything either, and my other cars are almost chip free. How cheap is the paint on this truck?!!? :mad:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I regret not doing PPF. I had the truck prepped and ceramic coated, and love the gloss and ease of cleaning it. But I didn't count on how **** the paint is on this truck. Just one year and 15k miles into ownership, the front end is chipped to hell. My last truck was a Titan and didn't have this many chips in it after 140k miles.

I don't tailgate or anything either, and my other cars are almost chip free. How cheap is the paint on this truck?!!? :mad:
What color? I know different paints have different mixtures.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp, guess I might be in for it. I did the same thing, went ahead with the "OEM" ceramic but didn't do PPF. I've had a somewhat mixed experience with my vehicle's front ends over the years. I'm sure the blockier, larger front of these trucks provides a much bigger target.

I guess the worst case scenario here is that I either get a re-paint/touch-up on the front end after a few years, or I get some kind of cover for the bumper to hide my shame lol.

Best case is, they decided to do better with the paint for 2022 and/or the specific facility where mine was built (Sterling Heights) has a better (or has since upgraded its) paint system.

skidz88

Reaction score
Welp, guess I might be in for it. I did the same thing, went ahead with the "OEM" ceramic but didn't do PPF. I've had a somewhat mixed experience with my vehicle's front ends over the years. I'm sure the blockier, larger front of these trucks provides a much bigger target.

I guess the worst case scenario here is that I either get a re-paint/touch-up on the front end after a few years, or I get some kind of cover for the bumper to hide my shame lol.

Best case is, they decided to do better with the paint for 2022 and/or the specific facility where mine was built (Sterling Heights) has a better (or has since upgraded its) paint system.
FCA should be ashamed considering this is a truck and should be more durable. I've accepted that I will need to have the bumper removed and resprayed after probably 3 years.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Riving thread to ask if anyone knows what part of the rig the Mopar installed film covers?

Thanks!
DAVE

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread