5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Paint Protection Film. Worth it?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As title suggests, I am deciding whether to do some kind of exterior wrap. I've read about both PPF and Ceramic (which I initially thought were the same thing). Apparently the Ceramic has a nice sheen to it and does a decent job protecting, but wears off after a couple of years. The PPF doesn't add any gloss but has better scratch resistance and lasts longer. Is this accurate? Is Mopar's PPF any good?

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
I’m going through the same decisions now. Ceramic basically keeps much of the contaminates, UV, and oxidation at bay for a few years depending on the product and conditions the truck sits in (heat, salt, garage/outside, etc). Cleaning is much easier since the surface is very hydrophobic. But it does not last forever. Professional level products have a longer life span than the spray and wipe ones. You can get professional level and do it yourself. Prep is key and ceramic can exasperate flaws that exist in the paint already, so paint correction may be needed beforehand.

PPF is more of your scratch and rock barrier. You can do ceramic over PPF to get those properties as well.

I don’t know who makes Mopar. Xpel seems to be the preferred PPF.

834k3r

Reaction score
Honestly, I haven't looked into the Mopar PPF, but the 3M/VViViD films sold on the Jungle-themed web store are priced pretty reasonably and have a good reputation.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can't say about the Mopar, but I have both ceramic and PPF. I am really happy with it. You can't tell the PPF is there unless you get right up on it.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I can't say about the Mopar, but I have both ceramic and PPF. I am really happy with it. You can't tell the PPF is there unless you get right up on it.
Does it scratch easily? I'm looking for a solution for offroading in the woods purpose. Buffing the clear coat is easy, but I'm not sure that removing scratches from PPF can be done with same ease.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Does it scratch easily? I'm looking for a solution for offroading in the woods purpose. Buffing the clear coat is easy, but I'm not sure that removing scratches from PPF can be done with same ease.
No, it doesn't. That's the advantages of it. It protects against rock chips and scratches. It's mostly self healing too. There are several videos on YouTube that show how effective it is.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff I'm wondering too. Doing ceramic
No, it doesn't. That's the advantages of it. It protects against rock chips and scratches. It's mostly self healing too. There are several videos on YouTube that show how effective it is.
So, what's the advantage of putting the ceramic coating over the PPF?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Oh, the ceramic is first? See, my noob is showing lol. So, to rephrase, what's the advantage of having ceramic under the PPF, as opposed to JUST having the PPF?
Well, the PPF only protects part of the truck. It doesn't cover the entire truck. Mine is on the front bumper, grill, headlights, a pillars, mirrors, some of the roof and part of the hood. It would be a lot of money to do the entire truck.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I thought the Ceramic goes over the PPF to give it the hyberphobic properties to sheet off dirt, grime, bugs, etc. Not sure of the point of ceramic under PPF. Might hurt the adhesion even??? just a speculation.
Correct. I had a graphene coating before I got PPF and they had to strip that off before putting the PPF on. Stated that the surface needs to be absolutely clean slate for the PPF adhesive to grab.

PPF masks any CLEAR COAT scratches you may have remaining on the paint. Obviously, you want to have the paint prepped as much as possible, but if there is a clear coat scratch that will not come out in prep, the PPF will mask this. Ask me how I know.

I did a full-frontal PPF, and Opti-Pro Plus on the entire truck. The gloss and hydrophobics alone was well worth the cost. Cleaning it takes me a 1/3 of the time I used to spend doing it.

I can snap a pic since I just cleaned my truck up this weekend.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the Ceramic goes over the PPF to give it the hyberphobic properties to sheet off dirt, grime, bugs, etc. Not sure of the point of ceramic under PPF. Might hurt the adhesion even??? just a speculation.
Okay, so it seems like the PPF is more what I'm looking for, with my main goal to be preventing dings and scratches and such. I got a quote from a local shop for an "Opti-Coat Pro Plus" (lotta buzz words lol) that's a professional grade ceramic coating (with paint correction) that has a 7 year warranty, which sounds good I guess. But's it's $1600 (plus tax), which is like twice the price of the PPF the dealer offers. Is it really TWICE as good? I doubt it. So I am leaning towards the Mopar PPF.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. I had a graphene coating before I got PPF and they had to strip that off before putting the PPF on. Stated that the surface needs to be absolutely clean slate for the PPF adhesive to grab.

PPF masks any CLEAR COAT scratches you may have remaining on the paint. Obviously, you want to have the paint prepped as much as possible, but if there is a clear coat scratch that will not come out in prep, the PPF will mask this. Ask me how I know.

I did a full-frontal PPF, and Opti-Pro Plus on the entire truck. The gloss and hydrophobics alone was well worth the cost. Cleaning it takes me a 1/3 of the time I used to spend doing it.

I can snap a pic since I just cleaned my truck up this weekend.
You did this yourself? Cause this shop I'm referring to said the Opti-Pro Plus is only available to "certified installers"...

cervelo15

Reaction score
Okay, so it seems like the PPF is more what I'm looking for, with my main goal to be preventing dings and scratches and such. I got a quote from a local shop for an "Opti-Coat Pro Plus" (lotta buzz words lol) that's a professional grade ceramic coating (with paint correction) that has a 7 year warranty, which sounds good I guess. But's it's $1600 (plus tax), which is like twice the price of the PPF the dealer offers. Is it really TWICE as good? I doubt it. So I am leaning towards the Mopar PPF.
I got the Opti-Coat Pro Plus after my PPF and over the entire truck. The big difference between that and Opti-Coat Pro is the level of gloss. Pro Plus has a higher intensity gloss. That's exactly how much it cost me. I can snap pics of my truck, I just cleaned it up this weekend.

Jokersreven9e

Reaction score
ceramic does nearly nothing for rock chips and scratches, so that is where your PPF comes in. I have the Tri-coat white and my detailer says it's very tough, near impossible, to touch up chips and scratches to have it look right. And PPF doesn't like touch up paint, so best to get it early. He's also a friend, so not totally blowing smoke at me.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, had the shop do it, sorry for misspeaking. Was well worth every penny.
I don't think you misspoke, I just wanted to make sure the shop wasn't lying to me lol.

Thanks for the info. Still kinda seems like I personally would be good with the PPF, for the protection.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yeah, I could have it backwards. I'll ask them tomorrow.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I don't think you misspoke, I just wanted to make sure the shop wasn't lying to me lol.

Thanks for the info. Still kinda seems like I personally would be good with the PPF, for the protection.
Yep! I did the PPF after a road trip to Florida. Wish I did it day one. Its amazing how many chips can come out of the front end in short time. I'm coming from a Laramie with chrome, so this is my first experience with a painted bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread