5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Paint Protection Film Issues

jamorton

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has picked up their truck with the mopar paint protection film.

Picked mine up last week. There’s a strip on each side of the bed, where the blue area is in the pic below. I’ve realized that there is pretty bad swirling now sealed in underneath it. Obviously can’t be corrected without removing it.

Wondering if others have experienced something similar before I reach out to my dealer.

C28A5714-8A12-4C40-AF68-EA097488F046.jpeg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would make the dealership fix it. I've done that when taking delivery and finding air bubbles or puckers in the PPF that was installed as part of the purchase.

40Mopar

Reaction score
Sorry you had that issue ... I recently picked up mine I did not see any swirl marks like you described. In my case I think it was worth the purchase price but time will tell. I am disappointed that the hood protection is so narrow. (It is clearly better then nothing). I wish they covered the mirrors and the headlights.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would have it fixed but I also don’t see a reason especially without rambox to really have ppf there unless it was the whole bedside but your still be better off going to a detailer that does PPF and have something better like Xpel installed. Yes polishing is done before it’s applied (at least from a good detailer) but I doubt the factory would bother.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What areas does the factory PPF cover? It seems like just the bumper, but there is no info on the build configurator (just lists it as a $795 option). Is it good quality compared to aftermarket? A good value for the areas it covers? Any help from those that have it appreciated.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would have it fixed but I also don’t see a reason especially without rambox to really have ppf there unless it was the whole bedside but your still be better off going to a detailer that does PPF and have something better like Xpel installed. Yes polishing is done before it’s applied (at least from a good detailer) but I doubt the factory would bother.

Paint correction is additional too PPF at every shop I've heard of. They'll PPF over swirls without hesitation

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every time I’ve had it done a one step has always been quoted within the price. Now I’ve never had them break the price down further and I see what exactly the one step is costing etc. I would imagine any reputable shop would advise the customer about doing paint correction prior to sticking PPF down but then again I can’t assume that lol.

I would say if your in what seems to be a small group of guys that wanna protect their paint paint buy doing PPF you probably already know about paint correction or else your in the majority that would rather just get it repainted when it gets bad enough and use their monthly car wash membership to run it through a tunnel of brushes weekly ;).

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
This is why I never let a dealer "wash" my vehicles. When I placed my order, I told my dealer to not touch the outside after it was delivered.

My friend ordered a C8 Vette and when he went to take delivery, it looked like it has been washed with a scouring pad. Swirl marks all over it thanks to some idiot in the dealer's "detailing" department. 🤣

He took it too the best detailer in the area and made the dealer pay for a full correction and ceramic coat.

jamorton

Reaction score
What areas does the factory PPF cover? It seems like just the bumper, but there is no info on the build configurator (just lists it as a $795 option). Is it good quality compared to aftermarket? A good value for the areas it covers? Any help from those that have it appreciated.
I don’t log in here often so I’m waaay late in responding but here are a couple pictures highlighting where the factory film is located.

Attachments

• 3D8D30DE-34C0-4DFB-ADB8-74732C4F0919.jpeg
    3D8D30DE-34C0-4DFB-ADB8-74732C4F0919.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 43
  • C3A5E468-A861-46B6-8750-D701F70D3FC7.jpeg
    C3A5E468-A861-46B6-8750-D701F70D3FC7.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 42

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aka there’s a-lot missing that should have PPF if you doing this to add some protection from rock chips.. for example the front bumper/grill/A pillar/ roofcap/ mirror cap, and need more around the fender flares if your doing this for the protection.

Better off having it saving your money and spending a but more and having PPF done through a 3rd party shop after delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread