5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar mud flaps peeled my paint off

Princebawa

Reaction score
So I noticed that my back clip for the mud flap has broke off and i started to look at why. I quickly realized that it's due to the drain be plugged and being too heavy with all the mud caked in.

So I decided to take them off today to clean and maybe look at options to put different mud flaps.

As soon asi took them off, I found the paint grooved off all the down to bare metal.

These mud flaps were installed by the dealer and I noticed that there is no rubber or soke sort of soft material between the body and the mud flap. I am thinking they should have added some protective layer in between them but I am pissed off.

Has this happened to anyone? And also would the dealer do anything about it?

Whst options do I really have?

Attachments

• 06D0A137-910A-467B-83F5-AFC2FCD4FFE7.jpeg
    06D0A137-910A-467B-83F5-AFC2FCD4FFE7.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 223
  • BC2A5E9B-35BD-4B0E-899C-5C5507841F00.jpeg
    BC2A5E9B-35BD-4B0E-899C-5C5507841F00.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 221

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They are well known for this issue, they could be the worse designed mud flaps I've ever seen. Open spaces that suck up debris, rubs on a lot of the painted surfaces guaranteeing paint scratches and relatively short which reduces the effectiveness in protection.

They should have come with plastic protective film to help protect the surface of the paint they are in contact with, looks like they didn't install it. However, I don't think the film it comes with protects all the paint from damage.

I would contact your selling dealer and see if they could help you out with the paint damage. Later on, get the Husky guards, much better and makes very little contact with any painted surfaces.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are well known for this issue, they could be the worse designed mud flaps I've ever seen. Open spaces that suck up debris, rubs on a lot of the painted surfaces guaranteeing paint scratches and relatively short which reduces the effectiveness in protection.

They should have come with plastic protective film to help protect the surface of the paint they are in contact with, looks like they didn't install it. However, I don't think the film it comes with protects all the paint from damage.

I would contact your selling dealer and see if they could help you out with the paint damage. Later on, get the Husky guards, much better and makes very little contact with any painted surfaces.
Or WeatherTech...or basically anything else ;)

RJS

Reaction score
I agree with taking it back to the dealer because they installed them. Hopefully it's only the clearcoat which could be touched up and polished like it didn't happen.
Luckily you had the dealer install them.

Scram1500

Reaction score
We are the guinea pigs, this stuff doesn't get real world or long term testing. These will probably be discontinued or redesigned, body shops at Chrysler dealers are going to be busy. The oem flaps look good, but their function is a mystery

Ram79hemi

Reaction score
This happen to me on my 2016 ram they had to repaint my front fenders. The rear fenders I was able to buff out. Crap design sand and dirt gets behind the flap and it shakes going down the road destroying the paint. After they repainted my fenders I installed the oem heavy duty rubber mud flaps, they worked great.

Princebawa

Reaction score
So I went to my dealer and they took matter in hand right away and said they will get this fixed and I will have to just purchase new mud flaps and they will install it. Pretty good I would say?

Now I am also in the process of getting 22x12 rims with 33s and would need new mud flaps, what would you guys recommend for this setup?
Thanks.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So I went to my dealer and they took matter in hand right away and said they will get this fixed and I will have to just purchase new mud flaps and they will install it. Pretty good I would say?

Now I am also in the process of getting 22x12 rims with 33s and would need new mud flaps, what would you guys recommend for this setup?
Thanks.

Good to hear, dealer stepping up to the plate is great to hear.

I recommend Huskies, they look better on Rebels due to their shape and color, but should be fine on any trim. They are 1" longer than the other one's I'd recommend, which are Weather Techs.

Both are designed in a much superior way, don't hold debris and have very very little contact with the body. Both also come with the protective film as well.

RJS

Reaction score

Thanks.
Good show. Remember to use the protective film that comes with the Husky's or Weathertech's. I also have the Husky's on my Laramie w/flares.

STR

Reaction score
I experience something similar on a Gen 4 w/the Mopar splash guards, but the newer version of the Mopar Splash guards for the Gen 5 have 3M automotive tape in addition to the standard fasteners, which supposedly will help to minimize movement and rubbing. They still have the debris holding pockets. I just installed a set. Hopefully they perform a little better... BDEEC750-1B02-42BB-AFEA-71D242273238.png

Princebawa

Reaction score
honestly I really thing this design is a Terrible design. Mud collector to rubbing and how much painted body it covers. Just my opinion.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I experience something similar on a Gen 4 w/the Mopar splash guards, but the newer version of the Mopar Splash guards for the Gen 5 have 3M automotive tape in addition to the standard fasteners, which supposedly will help to minimize movement and rubbing. They still have the debris holding pockets. I just installed a set. Hopefully they perform a little better... View attachment 56624

Those 5 Gen are just as bad. Honestly you will regret installing those if you ever decide to take them off in the future, because they will eat the paint regardless of the 3M tape.

However, if you install protective film everywhere those flaps make contact on a painted surface, you can avoid damage that way. Or you can just sell them and buy a set of far superior Husky or Weather Tech guards.

Reactions: STR

STR

Reaction score
Those 5 Gen are just as bad. Honestly you will regret installing those if you ever decide to take them off in the future, because they will eat the paint regardless of the 3M tape.

However, if you install protective film everywhere those flaps make contact on a painted surface, you can avoid damage that way. Or you can just sell them and buy a set of far superior Husky or Weather Tech guards.

Maybe, but they have two versions of the 5th Gen, the newer has the tape as pictured and might not be “just as bad” as the paint rubbing edge has less contact with the surface. Regardless, I have the Rebel so they do not come into contact with any painted surface. As far as looks, that’s subjective, but I like the low profile appearance that blends into the OEM wheel flares, which I’ll eventually replace with a wider version when adding larger tires. Yes, I agree, the debris holding pockets are a poor design.

Ram79hemi

Reaction score
When I had my 2016 ram with the oem mud flaps ,I couldn't stand them holding water and debris. I decided to drill a 1\4" hole on the inside corner , where there is a flat spot at the bottom of the flap. It worked great , drained all the water out. Since I live in New England it also kept it from freezing in the winter.

STR

Reaction score
^^^ Good idea. There is a little slot in all of them now, but I also drilled holes to further aid in draining. As far as debris, i.e., mud, stones, etc., there is no easy fix...

AcerOne

Reaction score
Ugh, this thread is depressing to read... I just installed a set of these on mine and I was convinced I had installed them incorrectly as I could see right down into them...Now im debating removing them to at least put some 3M on the paint to keep these from trashing my paint. Being up in Canada, these are going to be an oversized ice cube tray in the winter. I definitely expected more from Mopar in terms of R&D.

Doc33

Reaction score
Ugh, this thread is depressing to read... I just installed a set of these on mine and I was convinced I had installed them incorrectly as I could see right down into them...Now im debating removing them to at least put some 3M on the paint to keep these from trashing my paint. Being up in Canada, these are going to be an oversized ice cube tray in the winter. I definitely expected more from Mopar in terms of R&D.
These do look nice on the truck but they have there flaws, other members have filled the openings with expanding foam and one guy fabricated some plastic to cover the opening which looked really good.

Users who are viewing this thread