5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar doesn’t understand skid plates

spinxt

Reaction score
I just installed the front axel and transfer case skid plates. But just like on my WK2 Grand Cherokee, the Mopar selection of skid plates leaves the transmission (with a plastic pan nonetheless) completely exposed. I don’t understand how Mopar can overlook protecting the transmission every single time ?????

spinxt

Reaction score
All I have seen are two up front and one for the fuel tank (with a separate part for a fuel skid bracket)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there are five skid plates for the RAM. Maybe there is another one that protects the trans?

When Ram launched the 2019 1500, they stated in numerous places that the ORG came with four skid plates. Many of us have that package and have only ever found three.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I noticed the plastic tran pan and filter too. I hope someone from the aftermarket provides something. The mounting holes are already there!

MTaylor

Reaction score
When Ram launched the 2019 1500, they stated in numerous places that the ORG came with four skid plates. Many of us have that package and have only ever found three.

How much weight does the ORG add to a base model truck?
What all comes in that pkg... skid plates, better shocks, 1" lift (due do diff springs I think)?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What all comes in that pkg... skid plates, better shocks, 1" lift (due do diff springs I think)?

I don't recall but over in the "Please post your tire and loading sticker" thread someone calculated the weight of all the options. The vast majority of the ORG weight is the skid plates since the shocks are almost a wash and on the higher trim levels, it's just a programming change for the increase ride height on the air suspension.

But those vinyl "4x4 Off Road" stickers are very heavy! That's why I removed them.;)

79 300

Reaction score
E- locker rear was part of the off road group, as well as tow hooks.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just spit-balling here, but is it possible that a skid plate isn't offered to cover the transmission because of cooling issues? Maybe they didn't find out until later pre-production testers. (i.e. holes are already drilled)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just spit-balling here, but is it possible that a skid plate isn't offered to cover the transmission because of cooling issues? Maybe they didn't find out until later pre-production testers. (i.e. holes are already drilled)

Or maybe another supplier issue and they shipped with what they had? That would explain the early marketing indicating there were 4 skid plates.

rick_od

Reaction score

Sorry, you are correct. Although i dont have my skid plates via the Off Road Group, i have them under the Protrction Group. Four skid plates and the fifth item i was thinking was another skid plate was the tow hooks.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or maybe another supplier issue and they shipped with what they had? That would explain the early marketing indicating there were 4 skid plates.
Could be that too... but a supplier issue would be worked out by now? One piece of sheet metal?

I get the feeling that they caught something in the final stages of testing... maybe even pre-launch press vehicles... they pulled the skid plate off and couldn't edit the marketing info fast enough. There have been more than a couple cars brought to market with transmission cooling issues, and those cars new owners were the ones to out.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That exhaust pipe is pretty close to the pan, tranny seems pretty well tucked up thou. IMGP5069 Rbel underside..jpg

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
The transmission actually has a hard time getting up to temp, but even to accommodate extreme conditions it would be pretty easy to vent the skid plate for the trans.

I've had cars that had under car aero that vented for the trans and rear diff to handle track temps. They weren't skid plates, but it's the same concept.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The transmission actually has a hard time getting up to temp, but even to accommodate extreme conditions it would be pretty easy to vent the skid plate for the trans.

I've had cars that had under car aero that vented for the trans and rear diff to handle track temps. They weren't skid plates, but it's the same concept.
My thought on trans temp was more about slow speed situations that would be tough... slow speed so less air flow for cooling, but still difficult on the transmission like towing uphill on a sandy, rocky dirt road in a hot climate. Add to that the exhaust crossing over the trans and then even more heat reflected back by some type of skid plate. Like I said, I was spit-balling but seemed plausible to me.

As it happens, I was watching a youtube video this morning where a guy had the same complaint for his older Power Wagon. He had this solution... https://dethloffmfg.com/shop/oil-transmission-skid-plate/

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thought on trans temp was more about slow speed situations that would be tough... slow speed so less air flow for cooling, but still difficult on the transmission like towing uphill on a sandy, rocky dirt road in a hot climate. Add to that the exhaust crossing over the trans and then even more heat reflected back by some type of skid plate. Like I said, I was spit-balling but seemed plausible to me.

As it happens, I was watching a youtube video this morning where a guy had the same complaint for his older Power Wagon. He had this solution... https://dethloffmfg.com/shop/oil-transmission-skid-plate/

I would think that this solution above that you mentioned for the power wagon would not increase heat load much if any.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Yeah, that's basically the same concept as venting it. I would buy today if they had that for us.

DavidNJ

Reaction score

The ORG includes:
  • Tow hooks
  • Front suspension skid plate
  • Transfer case skid plate (on 4x4 models only)
  • Electronic power steering skid plate
  • Fuel tank skid plate
  • Rear electronic locking axle
  • Front/rear off-road calibrated shocks
  • Hill-descent Control
  • Off-road decals (both sides, rear quarter panel, not included with Rebel)
  • All-terrain tires
The press release also said it has a: "unique rear suspension geometry (Rebel and 4x4 Off-road Package) to keep the tires in traction." That may simply mean that 1" higher the trailing arms are at a better angle. The shocks are just different valving.

The ORG is less expensive than the protection group and electronic diff purchased separately. As a result, it can be a good value if the 1" raise in height is desirable or not an issue. It is the only way to get the hill-decent control. If the Safety Group is ordered and the Trailer Tow Group is NOT ordered, it comes with a surround camera, not available on the Rebel. It can be useful in tight places.

With the 4-corner air suspension, FCA does away with the normal setting making the 1" higher Off-Road setting normal with no speed limit and the retains the off-road 2 as off-road 1. That gives the option of 2" higher at low speeds.

The all-terrain tires are an OEM Falken called a Wildpeak A/T3WA but not the same as the retail Wildpeak A/T3W. The OE tire is load range C LT in 18" size, metric in 20" size. The retail A/T3W is load range E in the 18" size, still metric in 20" size although other 20" models are load range E LT tires. With 1" lift it should fit 34" diameter tires (e.g. 275/65-20) without even a level kit. People have fit 35" and 37" tires.

Note that the skid plates reduce the break-over angle equivalent to loosing over an inch of lift. Rock sliders probably take away more. 4"+ Lift kits for the Ram leave the front lower controller arms at the OE height with respect to the wheel and may even lower the front differential with respect to the body. As a result, they increase break over angle but not necessarily ground clearance other than that gained from allowing taller tires.

Unfortunately, although on a 2019 link, FCA is only downloading the 2018 weight guide. Folks have estimated the ORG at around 75#. Maybe they will fix that for 2019. In another thread, people have discussed rock sliders for the Ram 1500 DT, which now seem to be available. They weigh around 120#, and currently only for the 26 gal fuel tank.

Users who are viewing this thread