5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar chrome bug shield review (Mopar 82215475)

Reaction score

TLDR: Solid and looks good when installed, but you'll need to modify the parts to make it fit right.

As prep for summer road trips I wanted to get a bug shield on. I couldn't find any photos online of the 5th gen Mopar chrome shield installed on a 5th gen Ram, so I bought one sight unseen and figured I'd share for anyone thinking about the same. Truck is a Limited in Diamond Black Crystal with painted bumpers. I think it looks pretty good, but I admit it'd probably look better on trucks with a chrome bumper. I wanted to get one paint matched to DBC, but they only sell them in chrome plastic or Rebel matte black plastic.

Review
Looks - 4/5: Think it looks pretty good, but you be the judge. -1 point for visible mounting bolts, makes an otherwise slick design look messy.
Finish/finish - 3/5: End product seems solid. It's the same chrome look plastic they use for most of the trime, so color match is exact. Not only is it bolted up at the front, it also comes with 6 foam standoffs that attach to the hood and support it from the back, so I'm pretty confident it'll stand up to aero load at highway speeds. But, -2 because I had to modify parts to make it work.
Effectiveness - TBD: Don't know yet, no bugs.
Fuel efficiency - TBD: Don't know yet, haven't driven it enough.
Noise/vibration - 5/5: I've taken it up to 50MPH, no noticeable increase in NVH. Kit comes with rubber grommets at all attachment points.
Install ease - 2/5: No drilling needed. Should've been a really easy install, but because I had to modify parts it took way longer than it should have, -3.

Install details
Real install time: 3 hours
Tools needed: Philips head screwdriver, trim removal tool, nonpermanent marker, bench vise/vise grips, step ladder

Install notes:
- Shield is mounted onto the hood via 6 screws that attach to 6 stamped steel mounting brackets that come with the kit. The mounting brackets attach to the inner front lip of the hood: four central brackets mount to existing holes (on the OEM truck their used to hold the front weather stripping in via pop clips), two out brackets are friction fit to the hood lip.
- Comes with 6 pieces of thick plastic tape so the brackets don't scratch your paint
- Comes with very clear instructions
- Tip: Instead of following the instructions exactly, install the 4 central brackets first, test fit/align the shield, then install the 2 outer brackets so that the shield is exactly centered, you'd be flying blind if you did all 6 at first as the instructions suggest.
- Issue: 5 out of the 6 brackets simply wouldn't fit without modification. I had to use a bench vise to bend the brackets/straighten them out. If it looks like it doesn't work, don't force it, don't scratch your paint
- Issue: You have to remove 4 pop clips holding in the front weather stripping. These pop clips are not the usual 2 piece kind. Even with trim tools, I could not remove them without breaking them. Sometimes they snap in half and the inside half will get stuck in the hollow hood: I had to vacuum them out at the end of the install. Luckily you don't need reuse these.
- Issue: This is a minor gripe: It comes with 6 sticky-backed foam standoffs that go under the shield for support. There's yellow tape indicating on the shield where they should go, but there's no precision at all as to where the stickers are laid. It could've been easy for them to build some index points into the injection mold to make the install more precise and idiotproof, but in the end you're just left guessing.

Last edited:

j517

Reaction score
It looks nice I though hour truck was gry or silver from the front view the deflector just flows. How much was it.

My wife is going to kill me.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
It looks nice I though hour truck was gry or silver from the front view the deflector just flows. How much was it.

My wife is going to kill me.

I got it from $150 shipped from a dealer in Arizona, cheapest I could find online. It is a Mopar part so you can get it from your dealer too, I'm sure it'll be more that way though.

j517

Reaction score
I want to get the rubber mat first then the bug deflector wow 150 bucks. The last 1 I bought was like 85 to 100 for a Ford f250

Ram is killing me the rug is 180 so a piece of plastic is more expensive than a rubber mat wow

Rick8325

Reaction score
I got it from $150 shipped from a dealer in Arizona, cheapest I could find online. It is a Mopar part so you can get it from your dealer too, I'm sure it'll be more that way though.
Looks great thanks for the in depth review! I got mine in matte black for $96 on Amazon. Hope to install it soon.

Rick8325

Reaction score
Installed my Mopar Matte Black hood deflector. Part number 82215476. Install definitely sucked. Clips didn’t line up with existing hood holes and end clips that pinch the hood are scary to install. Most clips needed to be bent to line up somewhat properly. I mounted the bumpers on the deflector instead of the hood. The anchors that fit into the hood holes are really poorly designed but overall I’m happy with the look. Whoever designed this thing should be fired, rehired, slapped in the face then fired again.

Attachments

• 881D836A-D76F-4CBC-9C64-BEFEC4841966.jpeg
    881D836A-D76F-4CBC-9C64-BEFEC4841966.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 131
  • E618197E-BFBF-441B-B5FC-CDC35B476FFB.jpeg
    E618197E-BFBF-441B-B5FC-CDC35B476FFB.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 01C3818A-BB7C-4552-A833-08A02050D276.jpeg
    01C3818A-BB7C-4552-A833-08A02050D276.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 133

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the AVS brand hood deflector last night. It was only $50 with free shipping and took about 25 minutes to install. No drilling or major modification required. Took out 6 of the plastic clips for the rubber seal on the botton side of the hood and slid this in between and then put the new clips back in. I even was able to put back the 4 rubber stop bumpers. Hood Side.jpg Hood.jpg

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the AVS brand hood deflector last night and will post pictures in a little bit. It was only $50 with free shipping and took about 25 minutes to install. No drilling or major modification required. Took out 6 of the plastic clips for the rubber seal on the botton side of the hood and slid this in between and then put the new clips back in. I even was able to put back the 4 rubber stop bumpers (Although one fell in the engine compartment and dissapeared.)
**Update** I found the rubber bump stop even after 65 miles of driving, it was sitting on the bumper frame mount! Must be a smooth riding truck with excellent aerodynamics for that to still be there. :)

Pictures attached Hood Side.jpg Under hood.jpg Hood.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan9

Reaction score

TLDR: Solid and looks good when installed, but you'll need to modify the parts to make it fit right.

As prep for summer road trips I wanted to get a bug shield on. I couldn't find any photos online of the 5th gen Mopar chrome shield installed on a 5th gen Ram, so I bought one sight unseen and figured I'd share for anyone thinking about the same. Truck is a Limited in Diamond Black Crystal with painted bumpers. I think it looks pretty good, but I admit it'd probably look better on trucks with a chrome bumper. I wanted to get one paint matched to DBC, but they only sell them in chrome plastic or Rebel matte black plastic.

Review
Looks - 4/5: Think it looks pretty good, but you be the judge. -1 point for visible mounting bolts, makes an otherwise slick design look messy.
Finish/finish - 3/5: End product seems solid. It's the same chrome look plastic they use for most of the trime, so color match is exact. Not only is it bolted up at the front, it also comes with 6 foam standoffs that attach to the hood and support it from the back, so I'm pretty confident it'll stand up to aero load at highway speeds. But, -2 because I had to modify parts to make it work.
Effectiveness - TBD: Don't know yet, no bugs.
Fuel efficiency - TBD: Don't know yet, haven't driven it enough.
Noise/vibration - 5/5: I've taken it up to 50MPH, no noticeable increase in NVH. Kit comes with rubber grommets at all attachment points.
Install ease - 2/5: No drilling needed. Should've been a really easy install, but because I had to modify parts it took way longer than it should have, -3.

Install details
Real install time: 3 hours
Tools needed: Philips head screwdriver, trim removal tool, nonpermanent marker, bench vise/vise grips, step ladder

Install notes:
- Shield is mounted onto the hood via 6 screws that attach to 6 stamped steel mounting brackets that come with the kit. The mounting brackets attach to the inner front lip of the hood: four central brackets mount to existing holes (on the OEM truck their used to hold the front weather stripping in via pop clips), two out brackets are friction fit to the hood lip.
- Comes with 6 pieces of thick plastic tape so the brackets don't scratch your paint
- Comes with very clear instructions
- Tip: Instead of following the instructions exactly, install the 4 central brackets first, test fit/align the shield, then install the 2 outer brackets so that the shield is exactly centered, you'd be flying blind if you did all 6 at first as the instructions suggest.
- Issue: 5 out of the 6 brackets simply wouldn't fit without modification. I had to use a bench vise to bend the brackets/straighten them out. If it looks like it doesn't work, don't force it, don't scratch your paint
- Issue: You have to remove 4 pop clips holding in the front weather stripping. These pop clips are not the usual 2 piece kind. Even with trim tools, I could not remove them without breaking them. Sometimes they snap in half and the inside half will get stuck in the hollow hood: I had to vacuum them out at the end of the install. Luckily you don't need reuse these.
- Issue: This is a minor gripe: It comes with 6 sticky-backed foam standoffs that go under the shield for support. There's yellow tape indicating on the shield where they should go, but there's no precision at all as to where the stickers are laid. It could've been easy for them to build some index points into the injection mold to make the install more precise and idiotproof, but in the end you're just left guessing.
What has been your review after having the product for sometime? Does it actually help with deflecting rocks and bugs?

Ccroce

Reaction score
Sorry to tag off of such an old thread, but I need the installation hardware for the Mopar hood deflector and cant find it anywhere - can anyone help?

Users who are viewing this thread