5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Catback

AJW1054

Reaction score
Just bought my first Ram, 2020 Rebel. Love it so far, (6 months). Was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Mopar Performance Catback. Want to install, but live in a residential neighborhood and wondered if its too loud on cold starts and normal driving in and out of neighborhood. Can anybody let me know? Thanks.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Absolutely as I’ve owned two of them. Let’s see when you do a cold start it’s definitely letting you know you’re driving something special. Once it idles down you won’t notice it. As long as you aren’t “ that “ person who has to romp on it while in the neighborhood, then you won’t have any problems. Where are you located as there may be someone near who has one you can listen to.

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
This is good info. I’m in the exact same boat. Is there any performance increase to be had with the Mopar exhaust??

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought my first Ram, 2020 Rebel. Love it so far, (6 months). Was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Mopar Performance Catback. Want to install, but live in a residential neighborhood and wondered if its too loud on cold starts and normal driving in and out of neighborhood. Can anybody let me know? Thanks.

In my experience - I have a magnaflow system on my truck, and a lot of times I felt like it was a touch too quiet.
Yes, when I get on it I can hear it. It's vastly more tame than say, the Borla XR1 I had on my old Ram rebel (gen1).

Oh my lord, firing the old Ram up, on a frozen sidestreet at 2am? There were nights I felt bad!
I've never felt that way with the magnaflow, aside from the good price I feel like that was its best attribute: I can enjoy the sound of an aftermarket exhaust and getting to actually hear my engine, the noise level is very tolerable in the cabin and out of it. Just my 2 cents.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is good info. I’m in the exact same boat. Is there any performance increase to be had with the Mopar exhaust??

In my opinion, I think it would be best to pair a good aftermarket exhaust, with a good intake as well. Air flowing out better PLUS flowing in better. I think doing both at once would give the most noticeable difference. I did just that - and in the ram airflow thread (engine forum) I posted about it. I would do both. After driving around with both for a few days, I honestly feel like the truck should have been sold this way to begin with

SCRebel

Reaction score
I have the Mopar cat back on my 2019 Rebel. It’s loud. In fact, if I need to leave earlier than 8am I won’t drive it. Depends how tight your neighborhood is and how much you care about not being “that guy”.
Do I regret getting it? Hell no. But then then again I have a Tesla to balance how I annoying I am to my neighbors.

AJW1054

Reaction score
Thank you.
In my experience - I have a magnaflow system on my truck, and a lot of times I felt like it was a touch too quiet.
Yes, when I get on it I can hear it. It's vastly more tame than say, the Borla XR1 I had on my old Ram rebel (gen1).

Oh my lord, firing the old Ram up, on a frozen sidestreet at 2am? There were nights I felt bad!
I've never felt that way with the magnaflow, aside from the good price I feel like that was its best attribute: I can enjoy the sound of an aftermarket exhaust and getting to actually hear my engine, the noise level is very tolerable in the cabin and out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Just a little insight. I wanted a little more aggressive noise from my truck. Last week I took it to my local exhaust shop and had the muffle under the cab cut out and replaced with a straight pipe. Best $100 I've ever spent of a vehicle. If it's sound you're really going for, save a huge chunk of change and do the same.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a Mopar performance exhaust on my RT Charger 5.7. I really liked it. Wasn't obnoxious loud and definitely wasn't too quiet. I don't know how it differs from the Ram Mopar exhaust but mine was great!

Rabbit929

Reaction score
I really do t think many aftermarket exhausts flow better than stock enough to see any proveable improvement. The factory flows pretty good but is muffled down for sound requirements. The main benefit is sound.

asfor intakes, a better breathing intake will “help” mildly for performance builds. But my question is, if you put all the aftermarket intakes, side by side, the aftermarkets will most certainly flow better.
BUT do they flow cleaner?? I doubt it.

at Best, as far as mods I feel are worth it,
Sound exhaust of your choosing. (I run corsa extreme)
Leveling kit with UCA’s
Ram-air intake (factory quality filter)
High quality baffled oil catch can
And a custom horn from boomblasters. mine has the screaming goat meme sound so I can scare the hell out of people I drive by.

VdMer

Reaction score
I had the Mopar system put on mine about 5-months ago. I think your biggest concern will be cold starts, maybe the first 45-seconds or so, then its tampered down pretty well - more noticeable than stock certainly, but depending on the distance from your neighbors bedrooms...not a redneck sunrise. After that it is a more of a noticeable rumble, that will really depend on the level of gas you give it. Open it up and most within 75ft are going to know your presence (which can be helpful). Coming to a gradual slow down is also a welcome rumble. I would say that it sounds more like 'this is a truck' not an SUV with a bed. No regrets.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well written as an owner of two of then I can attest of that fact lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online