5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar catback...is it really a Borla?

mhb1638

Reaction score
I'm looking at a catback for my incoming '22. I've had the touring on my 2020 and hated the noise inside the cab. Others in this forum have reported the same. I 'thought' i read that the mopar kit is basically a s series Borla? Mopar kits right now are around $1300 and the AWE is around 1100 I think, and borla around 950 I think. All i want is deep, not obnoxious. And not loud inside the cab. The Youtube videos I've seen of the Mopar seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Anyone?

Selcher

Reaction score
I have the Borla S-Type Catback arriving tomorrow and I chose it based off test driving a Ram GT a couple weeks ago before buying my Limited. The GT sounded amazing and the dealer was 110% positive it was the Mopar Performance catback which was a Borla. They weren't sure if Touring, S-Type or Atak but I noticed it did have resonators before the tips which none of the Borla systems have.

We shall see. The videos I've seen of the S-Type sounded amazing and very similar to the GT, maybe a bit louder.

Also, if you found the Touring too loud then maybe add a resonator. The S-Type is definitely louder.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to wait and see if anybody sells their stock GT exhaust. Wish I knew the part number so I could look up prices for it. I thought about the borla but don’t like that the tips aren’t adjustable or how they look. I’m a fan of the B2 tips and already own them so I’m keeping them..

Cajun_

Reaction score
Gt exhaust is the Mopar catback with resonators from what I understand but don't take my word for it.

Mopar catback is manufacturered by borla, it is possible that it is not a copy of existing borla products.

mhb1638

Reaction score
I have the Borla S-Type Catback arriving tomorrow and I chose it based off test driving a Ram GT a couple weeks ago before buying my Limited. The GT sounded amazing and the dealer was 110% positive it was the Mopar Performance catback which was a Borla. They weren't sure if Touring, S-Type or Atak but I noticed it did have resonators before the tips which none of the Borla systems have.

We shall see. The videos I've seen of the S-Type sounded amazing and very similar to the GT, maybe a bit louder.

Also, if you found the Touring too loud then maybe add a resonator. The S-Type is definitely louder.
They should include that resonator lol. That alone is 250 I think

Ben1500GT

Reaction score
I heard the Mopar in person and it actually sounded more aggressive with a bit more bite like a Corsa.

I’m intrigued by the Borla S-Type but have not heard it in person yet. Just videos.

Where are people finding it for $950!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhb1638

Reaction score
I heard the Mopar in person and it actually sounded more aggressive with a bit more bite like a Corsa.

I’m intrigued by the Borla S-Type but have not heard it in person yet. Just videos.

Where are people finding it for $950!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which system is $950? You talking Borla?

Rmazzei

Reaction score
I'm looking at a catback for my incoming '22. I've had the touring on my 2020 and hated the noise inside the cab. Others in this forum have reported the same. I 'thought' i read that the mopar kit is basically a s series Borla? Mopar kits right now are around $1300 and the AWE is around 1100 I think, and borla around 950 I think. All i want is deep, not obnoxious. And not loud inside the cab. The Youtube videos I've seen of the Mopar seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Anyone?
I have Borla S type cat back on a 21 limited 5.7 with Mopar ramair. Great sound and very minimal inside cabin with windows shut. You learn how to pedal the exhaust so around the neighborhood its quiet. Also very quiet on highway while cruising but does roar when you step on it. One of the many benefits of going Borla is they have a resonator you can add if the sound is a little too aggressive for you. Go to their website and listen to their video clips.

mhb1638

Reaction score
The Borla S-Type I bought during Black Friday sales was the equivalent to $970 USD. Not bad.

I'll probably add the Mopar Ram Air CAI next.
The touring and S typs are different designs. I didn't care for the touring but like the sound of the S type (on videos) over the touring. To me, the s type is louder at the tips, but quieter in the cab...cause the touring is not quiet in the cab at all.

At least i think. I don't know. but i also recall issues with the tips. MBRP was worse fitment of them all.

Last edited:

Selcher

Reaction score
The touring and S typs are different designs. I didn't care for the touring but like the sound of the S type (on videos) over the touring. To me, the s type is louder at the tips, but quieter in the cab...cause the touring is not quiet in the cab at all.

At least i think. I don't know. but i also recall issues with the tips. MBRP was worse fitment of them all.
I've had MBRP exhaust on 5 different trucks now and it was always a perfect fit. Odd to hear you didn't have the same experience. I always loved the sound of their systems until I heard that GT. That's what sold me on Borla. My S-Type just arrived and will be going on tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had MBRP exhaust on 5 different trucks now and it was always a perfect fit. Odd to hear you didn't have the same experience. I always loved the sound of their systems until I heard that GT. That's what sold me on Borla. My S-Type just arrived and will be going on tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it.
Let us know if it sounds the same. Might go that route if it does or just wait for the GT’s PN.

Selcher

Reaction score
Let us know if it sounds the same. Might go that route if it does or just wait for the GT’s PN.
Yes sir, definitely will. I'm really hoping it sounds like the GT, maybe a bit louder.

Selcher

Reaction score
All done.

Fit and finish perfect!

I will say it's definitely quieter than the MBRP system on my 2015. At least so far. In the cab you hear nothing. If you didn't know you'd think it's still stock. Standing out back it gets louder and has a nice rumble to it. Not quite the same crackles the GT had but it sounds very similar. This might be a touch louder but it's very close.

Overall I think I'm still a redneck because the Atak might have been better for me. I was expecting a more obnoxious sound and this one is refined, tuned and calm. I can't see me waking up any neighbors with this. At least it'll turn some heads now.

10/10 would recommend.

Clv22p

Reaction score
Awesome to hear! Mine was delivered yesterday. I also went s-type after debating the mopar. I can't get over the mopar cost and not including tips!

Selcher

Reaction score
Awesome to hear! Mine was delivered yesterday. I also went s-type after debating the mopar. I can't get over the mopar cost and not including tips!

It.....doesn't include tips?!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say if you are considering Borla, the ATAK is only way to go. From reading other threads, the s-type isn't much different, than the ATAK, in volume on cold starts and idle, and in cab isn't any different.

Users who are viewing this thread