5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed light kit installation

troymi

Reaction score
I must say that I am continually impressed by peoples' skill sets that are part of this forum.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
So my 22 didn’t have the tailgate ajar switch/latch. I installed a new wiring jumper harness in the tailgate Mopar 68311435AD and a new latch/switch 68312079AM on the right side and programmed it in Alfa and everything works. Bed lights come on automatically when tailgate opens and indicator shows on cluster as well as the automation if you put the truck in gear with the tailgate open
I am going to have to put those part numbers on my list of things to order!!

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
So my 22 didn’t have the tailgate ajar switch/latch. I installed a new wiring jumper harness in the tailgate Mopar 68311435AD and a new latch/switch 68312079AM on the right side and programmed it in Alfa and everything works. Bed lights come on automatically when tailgate opens and indicator shows on cluster as well as the automation if you put the truck in gear with the tailgate open
You remember what exactly you had to activate in the BCM ? What was it called?..just ordered the parts you listed……

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
It was listed above
My mistake, I was not clear on what I was asking for…. I know what is needed to activate the bedlights , that is indeed listed above, I have done that , and it works great!! but was wondering if anything else needed to be done programming wise for the tailgate/additional tailgate switch modification?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My mistake, I was not clear on what I was asking for…. I know what is needed to activate the bedlights , that is indeed listed above, I have done that , and it works great!! but was wondering if anything else needed to be done programming wise for the tailgate/additional tailgate switch modification?
You should be able to search for tailgate I believe. Mine wasn't enabled, but I did have the wiring.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
You should be able to search for tailgate I believe. Mine wasn't enabled, but I did have the wiring.
I will do some looking…. parts should be here next week…..looks like it should be an easy install…..

skyhawk42

Reaction score
CBC
Config I0 F Pin 26 Connector F Pin 26:
Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present:
from No to Yes. I think pre 22 there were trucks with everything and you just needed to do the Alfa steps to make it work, but in 22 if it’s not on the build sheet the latch was different as well as the wiring.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
CBC
Config I0 F Pin 26 Connector F Pin 26:
Trunk/Liftgate Ajar Signal Input Present:
from No to Yes. I think pre 22 there were trucks with everything and you just needed to do the Alfa steps to make it work, but in 22 if it’s not on the build sheet the latch was different as well as the wiring.
Thanks Skyhawk… exactly what i was looking for….
Pete

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Well, good news/bad news…. Good news was that my 21 had the tailgate switch already installed, and only needed to activate in AlfaOBD…… works as described…. bad news is that I ordered parts without checking that, and now have and extra switch and harness…….shoot me a PM if anyone needs a set….
Pete

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Post it in classifieds. I’m sure someone with a 22 will want it

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It be nice if they would come on with the tailgate opening… it would also be nice if there was a puddle light build in the handle like some of the competition

My truck came with the bed light and puddle light in the tailgate handle. There's times I wish the light came on with dropping the tailgate, and times I'm glad it doesn't. So, for now I'm fine reaching in to turn it on. It also turns on the cargo light, tailgate light and mirror lights.

The tailgate ajar is something I'd like to have. If I ever get around to buying the AlfaOBD, this will be up near the top of my list. Good to know you can do the switch if need be.

mariusp9

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
To clarify, you just replaced your existing latch/switch with the new one (68312079AM). And the existing wiring jumper harness with 68311435AD, right?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
To clarify, you just replaced your existing latch/switch with the new one (68312079AM). And the existing wiring jumper harness with 68311435AD, right?
Yes and did the programming in alfa

GMetal

Reaction score
Modified my Mopar harness to connect to the X670 plug. I used two new terminals part number 1418884-3 from Mouser electronics. disconnected the plug and installed the new wires. Programmed with AlfaOBD and it all works great. Thanks everyone for the information.

Sam's Ram

Reaction score
Modified my Mopar harness to connect to the X670 plug. I used two new terminals part number 1418884-3 from Mouser electronics. disconnected the plug and installed the new wires. Programmed with AlfaOBD and it all works great. Thanks everyone for the information.

A little late to the conversation. Hope yall can help. I just got a 22 big horn and wanted to add these bed lights. Question is.... did your truck already have lights installed? If not. Which did you install? Many thanks

GMetal

Reaction score
I bought the Mopar bed light kit for my Lonestar. The instructions have you run the wires to the front and into the cab by cutting a rubber grommet and adding the wires to the plug at the BCM. I had the wires at my rear X670 plug so I shortened the Mopar harness and added new terminals and plugged it into the plug. Then I used AlfaOBD to program it.

Users who are viewing this thread