5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed light kit installation

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Hi gang, quick question… does anyone know/have the procedure to do the activate/dealer portion of the OEM Mopar bed light kit? I wired the kit per the included instructions and the next step would be “go to dealer and change the sales code”.. I have AlfaOBD… what settings/where do I need to change/click to activate this….

I know there is a video floating around where you can splice into the existing harness and can do it without going to dealer, but I would rather not splice… I have AlfaOBD, should just be a setting , right?

I know there is an 8page thread somewhere that has a lot of discussion about splicing/cutting/piggybacking etc, but did not see any actual how to activate info..
thanks in advance..
Pete

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I screen shot something a while back, so I have this:
you need to set CBC 1/0 A5
enabled to yes and CBC 1/0 G16 enabled to
yes in the BCM configuration and the cargo
bed lights will be as OEM intended.
I think when I did mine it said led bed lights present yes and I don’t remember the verbiage for the second setting

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How hard was this? I'm getting ready to do mine this weekend.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Not to bad, just a pain, slow going.. I did remove the spare and the wheel well liners, took my time to do it right.. also used the opportunity to corrosion proof everything as much as possible (CRC marine and 3m cavity wax) and put everything back together correctly.

fishing it thru the firewall and repinning the connectors , space is tight, but all very doable, just took my time.. probably have 1/2 day in it or so… but I don’t make a living doing this, so I do not move that fast….

Be carefull with the large connectors when you repin them, to not break them.there is a locking pin behind the “handle” that you have to push in before the handle can slide back and disengage the connector.. you can not see it, but you can feel it..
between the included instructions and the install video posted here somewhere, installation difficulty about a 4/10
Pete

Last edited:

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I took the shortcut on mine. Instead of running the 2 wires all the way forward into the cab, I connected them to the large connector on the frame below the drivers side taillight. The 2 needed wires are already connected to the bcm and end in this connector at the rear of the truck so it speeds things up.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I took the shortcut on mine. Instead of running the 2 wires all the way forward into the cab, I connected them to the large connector on the frame below the drivers side taillight. The 2 needed wires are already connected to the bcm and end in this connector at the rear of the truck so it speeds things up.
What year is your truck? I believe that the newer trucks have the required wiring, but the 19/20s do not. Mine is a 2020.

Last edited:

troymi

Reaction score
Dealer quoted me 1-1/2 hours labor to do the install and programming. I'm thinking $150 sounds like a deal!

skyhawk42

Reaction score
$150 for install and programming from a dealer sounds like a deal for sure. But honestly since I already have Alfa the job was easy, so I’d probably still do it myself and save that beer money

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Skyhawk 42 you saved the day!! Indeed after installing the Mopar kit, and following the included instructions .. time to fire up AlfaOBD… getting into the sub menu for the BCM.. eventually found the setting mentioned, the I/O A5 and I/O G16.. said something about bedlights… hit “yes” and saved…. Everything works like it is supposed too.. fantastic man!!

lights work good, looks nice…not super bright , worth the effort? I say so, but I can see why people would do under rail for some more light..
thanks again
Pete

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I agree, definitely could be brighter, but when you are in total darkness they work better than nothing at all. I just tried to turn on my tailgate ajar in Alfa and found out there is no switch in the latch on my 22. I ordered the switch/latch and harness for inside the tailgate, so hopefully that’s all I’ll need to make the lights go on when the tailgate opens too.

el_goob

Reaction score
Skyhawk, any chance you could provide the details on making that connection below the brake light on the frame? I think I see what you're talking about if it's a long flat connector that hooks up to a harness mounted on a bracket that's mounted to the frame.
I just got my '22 Lonestar exactly the way I wanted it with the exception of the bed utility group so this would really help to tie up that loose end. Thanks!

GMetal

Reaction score
From what I can tell connector XY225A has only one wire for the bed light. Cargo Lamp Driver Circuit L19 in Cavity 32. I see it as either BG/WH on one sheet and TAN/wht on another schematic from All Data. The other wire is coming from connector XY331A Cargo Lamp Switch Signal Circuit L26 Cavity 21 and its marked as BG/VT and on all data sheet its marked as TAN/VIO.
Mopar Connection Repair Kit If you search for your model and scroll down to the connector number it will show the pin out for that connector and what it looks like. XY225A is under the driver seat on the left frame rail and the XY331A is on the left end of the dash. I hope to dig into this soon to find which connector I can go into.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I screen shot this from an earlier post and this is what I followed to do mine and it worked for me:
I would
recommend just pin into the existing circuits
for the cargo bed lights in the XY670A
connector near the rear of the drivers side and
above the resonator? Most body harnesses
have the two circuits already ran from the BCM
and terminate in the XY670A connector. The
harness that plugs into the Xy670a connector
is determined by the options installed (I.E. ram
box, cargo bed light, etc). You should be able
to just pin terminals 6 and 11 in xy670a for the
cargo light drive (beige/white wire) and cargo
light switch signal (beige/voilet wire) circuits,
then ground to the nearest ground location.
Easy peasy, no going into the cab to tap wires.
Additionally, you need to set CBC 1/0 A5
enabled to yes and CBC 1/0 G16 enabled to
yes in the BCM configuration and the cargo
bed lights will be as OEM intended in regards
to wiring and function.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'll try this weekend. Probably won't work on mine since it is a 2020.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
I agree, definitely could be brighter, but when you are in total darkness they work better than nothing at all. I just tried to turn on my tailgate ajar in Alfa and found out there is no switch in the latch on my 22. I ordered the switch/latch and harness for inside the tailgate, so hopefully that’s all I’ll need to make the lights go on when the tailgate opens too.
Let us know how that works….

Marty313

Reaction score
Only reason keeping me from doing this was running wires to the front of the truck. lol

Now hearing I can just tap the back harness, I’m ordering a pair now.

My Silverado was easy, basically just plug and play with no programming.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
It be nice if they would come on with the tailgate opening… it would also be nice if there was a puddle light build in the handle like some of the competition has…..I wonder, short of that, if it would be possible to maybe get one of those Enhanced reverse light license place light bars to wire in, so all of that would come on with opening the tailgate/unlock doors/etc?

Since we only rewired the BCM with 2 wires, I presume one of them is the signal wire from the button, and the other one is the power to the lights, turned on as needed/decided by the BCM? Wonder if the BCM would notice/disagree with the extra amp draw?… I guess I could always relay it in… be a good time to put in some more”under the rail” LED’s to light things up a bit more….

GMetal

Reaction score
Anyone know the proper terminal for the rear XY670 connector? Many of the connectors on these trucks are TE Connectivity or Aptiv but I cant find who makes this connector.

Edit: Its a TE Connectivity. Sealed AMP 1.5K/2.8 Housing (MAYBE 1745043-3). 1718705-1 seal 1564324-2 terminal Im not positive on these numbers but what Ive found so far

Last edited:

skyhawk42

Reaction score
So my 22 didn’t have the tailgate ajar switch/latch. I installed a new wiring jumper harness in the tailgate Mopar 68311435AD and a new latch/switch 68312079AM on the right side and programmed it in Alfa and everything works. Bed lights come on automatically when tailgate opens and indicator shows on cluster as well as the automation if you put the truck in gear with the tailgate open

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/