5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar 2" Lift vs 5100 Adjustable Ride Height

Reaction score
I have the Mopar kit and instead of adding the ORP springs to the front, I added a 1/2 top hat spacer ($25 on Amazon).

The ride with stock wheels/tires was as good if not better than stock, especially on the bumpy country road I live on. Now that I've added bigger A/T tires (Ridge Grapplers) the ride has stiffened up quite a bit, but that is due to the tires, not the lift.

I haven't second guessed my purchase of the lift once. It's a Mopar backed product, and under warranty. That alone gives me peace of mind.

Can I ask why you went with the top hat spacer over the ORP springs?

Would the ORP springs maybe provided a better ride over a top hat spacer or would there be no effect?

As for tires, for sure you will always have a stiffer/firmer ride with higher rate tires with 10 or 12ply sidewalls. For me, I want to keep my truck as close to stock ride while also know that there will be a slight difference. Not too concerned, just don't want it to ride like my 2007 2500 that was lifted 9" , solid front/rear axles and 38.5 Toyo Open Country M/T lol... This is why this truck, I just want a mild lift that is good for daily driving on the highway and the odd country roads. No mudding in my truck, if I want to do that I will buy another ATV :)

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
Can I ask why you went with the top hat spacer over the ORP springs?

Would the ORP springs maybe provided a better ride over a top hat spacer or would there be no effect?

As for tires, for sure you will always have a stiffer/firmer ride with higher rate tires with 10 or 12ply sidewalls. For me, I want to keep my truck as close to stock ride while also know that there will be a slight difference. Not too concerned, just don't want it to ride like my 2007 2500 that was lifted 9" , solid front/rear axles and 38.5 Toyo Open Country M/T lol... This is why this truck, I just want a mild lift that is good for daily driving on the highway and the odd country roads. No mudding in my truck, if I want to do that I will buy another ATV :)
The ORP Springs will provide a stiffer ride, but also give you about 1/2 more lift in the front.

I had already purchased the ORP springs when I bought my lift, but after seeing the ball joint angles I got a bit worried, 54BE6EB7-A17F-4F33-829C-A886739408FE.jpeg 494D8678-14B7-4C23-A330-ECEF0AECC448.jpeg 564C417C-07B4-4248-9835-56D1DA6C1448.jpeg

Reaction score
The ORP Springs will provide a stiffer ride, but also give you about 1/2 more lift in the front.

I had already purchased the ORP springs when I bought my lift, but after seeing the ball joint angles I got a bit worried, View attachment 60710 View attachment 60711 View attachment 60712

So adding the 1/2” top hat spacers have you the 1/2 of lift instead of putting the ORP springs. So you ride quality should be the same since your not using the stiffer springs.

Since you put the top hat spacers in. I assume this keeps the CV angles at a better degree since the spacers end up pushing down on the whole strut assembly.

Am I correct?

Also, what would happen if I put a 1” spacer in since the ORP springs at 1” taller.

I think I can do the ReadyLift and Bilstein 5100’s all around cheaper then the Mopar with the ORP springs. Not by much. RL/BS = $1800... Mopar/ORP = $2100-2200 roughly depending on cost of ORP springs. Mopar kit itself from eBay $1892 and then whatever I add after to level it out. So I mean it’s not a huge cost difference between the 2 kits based on the pricing I have gathers over various websites in Canada.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Time out.... can anyone provide data showing that the spring rate for the ORP Springs is stiffer? I have the ORP the factory shocks and that half-inch top hat spacer, ride is certainly not stiff and or uncomfortable. The ORP springs are supposed to raise the truck 1 inch in the front and 1 inch in the rear because the coils are taller. The shock absorbers are different from the factory over the base truck to handle the increased rod length needed by the taller springs.

People were using ORP springs on the front with the Mopar lift because it was not leveling the truck on base springs. Mopar revised the kit and added a second spacer to increase the front lift and level the truck. If your truck originally came with the ORP, you do not install that second spacer.

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
Time out.... can anyone provide data showing that the spring rate for the ORP Springs is stiffer? I have the ORP the factory shocks and that half-inch top hat spacer, ride is certainly not stiff and or uncomfortable. The ORP springs are supposed to raise the truck 1 inch in the front and 1 inch in the rear because the coils are taller. The shock absorbers are different from the factory over the base truck to handle the increased rod length needed by the taller springs.

People were using ORP springs on the front with the Mopar lift because it was not leveling the truck on base springs. Mopar revised the kit and added a second spacer to increase the front lift and level the truck. If your truck originally came with the ORP, you do not install that second spacer.
I believe you’re cramming a 1” longer spring onto the shock that’s not valved for it, hence the stiffer ride.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe you’re cramming a 1” longer spring onto the shock that’s not valved for it, hence the stiffer ride.
Correct. The shock will bottom out 1” sooner. The difference in ride quality really should be pretty minimal except for large bumps that extend the strut completely.

Users who are viewing this thread