5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar 2" Lift - popping noise

toxicfusion

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a shop install my 2" Mopar kit awhile ago and I've brought it back to them numerous times. They had to re-torque bolts and found some little loose... must of rushed the install, not pleased.

Makes loud popping noise at low speed when I let off the gas, nearly sounds like a U-joint going bad...... Going over large bumps - the front suspension and everything is smooth and zero odd noises or feel. Only when I let off the gas under light acceleration and or coming to a stop or a tight turn with body roll...

No one in area will touch it "Daytona AutoMall", effing terrible - as refer you to Daytona garage.. never answer their phone.

Anyone have experience with this or point me into possibilities of what it could be?

toxicfusion

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with that lift in particular. However, I would probably investigate the sway bar links first.
This would be in reference to the TSB for the front sway bar end links to torque them to 65ft/lb? or the rear track bar?

Wouldnt the truck make just as loud of noises going over bumps if it was the sway bar? Only makes noises when letting off gas and coming to a stop or parking lot turn.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This would be in reference to the TSB for the front sway bar end links to torque them to 65ft/lb? or the rear track bar?

Wouldnt the truck make just as loud of noises going over bumps if it was the sway bar? Only makes noises when letting off gas and coming to a stop or parking lot turn.
Sway bar links can make weird noises at different times; especially if they were installed incorrectly. I'm not suggesting that is the problem; but worth a look for sure. The only other thing that I can think of is if maybe they had removed your brake calipers and re-installed them improperly or didn't tighten them down enough.
I do recall someone posting about a noise after the MOPAR 2" installation and it turned out that the coil seat and bumper was not installed properly. I was trying to find that thread; I think it was on this forum. If it was my truck, I would jack up the front, remove the wheels, and look over everything myself to make sure it is all installed correctly. The MOPAR lift instructions show the proper orientation of the coil seat and bumper.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s weird as mine is as quiet as a Church mouse. Sadly this is that time when you need to as suggested pull off the wheels and look everything over.

toxicfusion

Reaction score
No time or space for me to do such on my own. Going to take it back to mechanic (have been in discusson with person who worked on truck). Will be sure they look over everything. Including asking about brake calipers, check front sway bar torque and rear track bar, etc.

May even have them check strut towers. Although, if perch seat wasnt correct - I would probably hear noise all time and going over bumps.

When I goose it in reverse - say to go into a parking spot. You can hear it pop/clunk sound. Sounds like a U-joint on way out; but I know it has to be suspension related. As only happened after the install. Very annoyed with this at moment.

All the dealerships here in CFL area are garbage. No one wants to work; further they quoted 800-1k to do install. I had a shop do it for little less at the normal rate.

Skdmarc

Reaction score
Sway bar links can make weird noises at different times; especially if they were installed incorrectly. I'm not suggesting that is the problem; but worth a look for sure. The only other thing that I can think of is if maybe they had removed your brake calipers and re-installed them improperly or didn't tighten them down enough.
I do recall someone posting about a noise after the MOPAR 2" installation and it turned out that the coil seat and bumper was not installed properly. I was trying to find that thread; I think it was on this forum. If it was my truck, I would jack up the front, remove the wheels, and look over everything myself to make sure it is all installed correctly. The MOPAR lift instructions show the proper orientation of the coil seat and bumper.
Just got mine fixed they have a tsb for the fix finally

Attachments

• 15834293624507539617330496769820.jpg
    15834293624507539617330496769820.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 81

osage91

Reaction score
Had the exact same issue after my Mopar lift. It’s the sway bar end links. Very easy fix. I was nervous as hell though driving to work for 2 days, thought a control arm or shock was gonna come unbolted lol.

KansasRam19

Reaction score
Is that what you found out to be the noise?! Mine just started shortly after my leveling kit. 10000 miles and it shouldn’t make that noise!

KansasRam19

Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer they claim it’s the rough country leveling kit making the noise. They said it’s moving? It’s under tension the whole time. Please anyone fill me in if I’m wrong.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Just got back from the dealer they claim it’s the rough country leveling kit making the noise. They said it’s moving? It’s under tension the whole time. Please anyone fill me in if I’m wrong.

Sounds like your dealership is a bunch of D****. Sounds like you just need to torque down the sway bar end links to 65 ft/lb and you'll be good to go. I think I need to do the same after my leveling kit was installed Wednesday. Not trying to do it myself though...I paid a man for a job...he's gonna finish that job lol.

Texastool

Reaction score
I had the Mopar lift installed at the dealer about 7 months ago. Just recently had sway bar end link make noise. Usually on large bumps/holes or when making sharp turns. Mech found the noise by rocking the truck. Fixed at a local shop as no dealer was near (I was traveling in Southern Utah). It is now doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Sounds like your dealership is a bunch of D****. Sounds like you just need to torque down the sway bar end links to 65 ft/lb and you'll be good to go. I think I need to do the same after my leveling kit was installed Wednesday. Not trying to do it myself though...I paid a man for a job...he's gonna finish that job lol.

Found my issue. The installer just literally didn't put the nut back onto the drivers side end link...back on now and no popping noises. Now I just need to get the truck to sit level. I am .5" low on the passenger side compared to drivers side.

Users who are viewing this thread