5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moisture/Lock Issues

Comutr53

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share a problem that has occurred with my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, to see if anyone may have experienced this issue. One week after receiving the new truck, when truck was parked outside during a hard rain storm, the emergency alarm started sounding. Used the key fob to silence the alarm, but then when driving, the vehicle was telling me that both front doors were open when they were not. Tried opening and closing doors, locking and unlocking the truck, with no remedy of the problem. Took the truck into dealer service department, and they couldn't figure it out. They checked with FCA service to see if any reports of this had been reported, and they told them that they had nothing on that matter. Truck sat in the shop overnight and the next day all was fine, and they couldn't recreate the problem. Everything was fine for the next 12 days. I then took the truck in to have them install some side steps that I had ordered at the time of purchase. They installed the side steps and washed the truck. Guess what: when I went to get into the truck to leave, I opened the drivers door and the tailgate opened. Shut the door, closed the tailgate, then opened the drivers door again. Tailgate opened on it own. Immediately got the service rep to report the new problem. Obviously there is a water infiltration problem that is getting to the electronic lock controls or sensors. Service tech found damp carpet under the drivers side rubber floor mat. Truck is now with service, and I'm in a loner. I'll update this post when they've found out what the problem is.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share a problem that has occurred with my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, to see if anyone may have experienced this issue. One week after receiving the new truck, when truck was parked outside during a hard rain storm, the emergency alarm started sounding. Used the key fob to silence the alarm, but then when driving, the vehicle was telling me that both front doors were open when they were not. Tried opening and closing doors, locking and unlocking the truck, with no remedy of the problem. Took the truck into dealer service department, and they couldn't figure it out. They checked with FCA service to see if any reports of this had been reported, and they told them that they had nothing on that matter. Truck sat in the shop overnight and the next day all was fine, and they couldn't recreate the problem. Everything was fine for the next 12 days. I then took the truck in to have them install some side steps that I had ordered at the time of purchase. They installed the side steps and washed the truck. Guess what: when I went to get into the truck to leave, I opened the drivers door and the tailgate opened. Shut the door, closed the tailgate, then opened the drivers door again. Tailgate opened on it own. Immediately got the service rep to report the new problem. Obviously there is a water infiltration problem that is getting to the electronic lock controls or sensors. Service tech found damp carpet under the drivers side rubber floor mat. Truck is now with service, and I'm in a loner. I'll update this post when they've found out what the problem is.

You don't list your truck details in your sig so we have no idea what options you have. Very widely known issue with sunroof drains not being installed properly and a few cases of rear window missing sealant and some electronics getting wet. Also a few where water was getting into an improperly sealed body seam just under the windshield. That sounds like a good possibility on yours. If so, dealer will need to remove fender, seal everything, and reinstall.
You can search for other instances.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
It would totally suck if i open the driver door and the tailgate pops down hitting the garage door

rhill

Reaction score
It would totally suck if i open the driver door and the tailgate pops down hitting the garage door
Do what I did. Bought a piece of foam pipe wrap insulation with the peel and stick seams. Put the foam strip up by using some sheet metal screws into the ribbed part of the garage door panel that the tailgate would hit if accidentally dropped. Then pulled the self sealing strips and sealed it up. This makes if double thick and also covers the screw heads. I was scared my keys in my pocket would accidentally hit the key fob and release the tailgate. It set off my alarm and locked and unlocked the doors all the time with my old truck. Knew it could do the same with the tailgate. I keep my phone by itself in one pocket, and the key fob, large key ring with 20 plus keys, chap stick, and coins in the other pocket. Hasn't happened yet, but would have if I hadn't done this first. Murphy's law.

Comutr53

Reaction score
You don't list your truck details in your sig so we have no idea what options you have. Very widely known issue with sunroof drains not being installed properly and a few cases of rear window missing sealant and some electronics getting wet. Also a few where water was getting into an improperly sealed body seam just under the windshield. That sounds like a good possibility on yours. If so, dealer will need to remove fender, seal everything, and reinstall.
You can search for other instances.
My Ram is a 2019, Big Horn, 4X4, V8, with Tow Group and Level 2 Equipment Group. No sun roof, so don't have to worry about that leak issue. Dealer is telling me that the windshield was not properly sealed at the factory, and they are going to replace the windshield and seal it properly when the new windshield is set. The problem is that they supposedly need FCA's approval to replace the windshield as a warranty repair when the glass is not broken. Truck is in the shop 6 days now between them investigating the problem, waiting for FCA approval to repair, and the new windshield to be delivered so it can get put in. That's now going 10 days in the shop 9and counting) for these moisture/electrical problems, and I haven't even owned the truck a month yet. I'm extremely frustrated with FCA right now.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Ram is a 2019, Big Horn, 4X4, V8, with Tow Group and Level 2 Equipment Group. No sun roof, so don't have to worry about that leak issue. Dealer is telling me that the windshield was not properly sealed at the factory, and they are going to replace the windshield and seal it properly when the new windshield is set. The problem is that they supposedly need FCA's approval to replace the windshield as a warranty repair when the glass is not broken. Truck is in the shop 6 days now between them investigating the problem, waiting for FCA approval to repair, and the new windshield to be delivered so it can get put in. That's now going 10 days in the shop 9and counting) for these moisture/electrical problems, and I haven't even owned the truck a month yet. I'm extremely frustrated with FCA right now.
What about all of the electric components that got wet? What will they do to remedy the damage already done?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do what I did. Bought a piece of foam pipe wrap insulation with the peel and stick seams. Put the foam strip up by using some sheet metal screws into the ribbed part of the garage door panel that the tailgate would hit if accidentally dropped. Then pulled the self sealing strips and sealed it up. This makes if double thick and also covers the screw heads. I was scared my keys in my pocket would accidentally hit the key fob and release the tailgate. It set off my alarm and locked and unlocked the doors all the time with my old truck. Knew it could do the same with the tailgate. I keep my phone by itself in one pocket, and the key fob, large key ring with 20 plus keys, chap stick, and coins in the other pocket. Hasn't happened yet, but would have if I hadn't done this first. Murphy's law.

If you are interested there is a leather case for the Key Fob that adds virtually no bulk but makes it harder to accidentally press a button in your pocket and keeps the Fob from getting scratched up.

Key Fob Cover.JPG

Ilips

Reaction score
I recently had my back passenger driver side door Freezing up Brought it into the dealer Show them when I picked up my truck they said there's nothing wrong with it it works fine, I said of course it works fine now it defrosted in the shop . So I brought it in a second time but I brought it in when the door locks were frozen to pre-show the shop manager . So now they're going to replace the door lock they told me the part was backordered 127 door lock mechanisms . I said well obviously it's an ongoing problem if They are Backordered by 127 units,to which the replied no just dealers stocking up....! . In the 34years of owning a vehicle I've never had one replaced so I doubt that. I should also mention this is freezing in -2 Celsius. I have a 2019 ram sport 5th gen 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread