5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moe's Performance 87MM throttle

U

User_63152

I almost feel like there is more lag, now, after my install of the TB. I was doing a few 0-60 runs, WOT. There is is just no getting around and stupid hesitation. Even with my Roar Pedal Throttle Controller. Don't get me wrong, I can tell the difference from stock, but the slight lag is still there.

Even with my bigger tires, I averaged 7.12 sec. 0-60, in 5 runs. (y)

Need my MBRP muffler put on, but, I have to wait for the time being.

*Update*

I ended up sending mine back. The lag was worse than the stock TB, even with my Roar Pedal. I put the stock TB back on, less lag. Very strange.

Last edited by a moderator:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should U get tune if you change the TB?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So the truck adjusts fuel for the increased flow? I am not familiar with this system. The 4.6 in my Lincoln has a mass airflow sensor. When I increased the intake to 80mm from a marauder it needed a tune to keep from running lean. Nothing is locked on it though.

Question about Moe's. Is this the one in Georgia? I think the guys name is Marty? Marty sells tuners and tunes set for ford's. The Crown Vic crowd praises his work. I got a tune from him for the
Lincoln (luxury Crown Vic).

Caballonegro

Reaction score
So the truck adjusts fuel for the increased flow? I am not familiar with this system. The 4.6 in my Lincoln has a mass airflow sensor. When I increased the intake to 80mm from a marauder it needed a tune to keep from running lean. Nothing is locked on it though.

Question about Moe's. Is this the one in Georgia? I think the guys name is Marty? Marty sells tuners and tunes set for ford's. The Crown Vic crowd praises his work. I got a tune from him for the
Yes it adjusts itself. I did a data log for hemifever and they said it was golden!

popcenator

Reaction score

The owner of Moe's is Matt, he's based out of TX.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they shaving down the back of the shaft?
What about putting in a larger damper blade?

Moe's is saying something about their TBs imparting a vortex effect on the airflow. I'm no expert in fluid dynamics, but it seems like you'd want laminar over turbulent flow feeding the intake plenum. I sell fans for a living and none of our fans use any of type of inlet or outlet that creates turbulent flow. In fact we call for several straight diameters of pipe on both sides of the fan to prevent what's called System Effect. Thinking about the old carburetors that had the velocity stacks on them, they are all smooth tapers as well.

Not denying anyone's results, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

ETA: just went back and reread Moe's writeup. He says venturi effect. Well the only way that happens is to have a flow restriction. That just makes it much more odd since the purpose of boring the TB is to increase the inlet.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ETA: just went back and reread Moe's writeup. He says venturi effect. Well the only way that happens is to have a flow restriction. That just makes it much more odd since the purpose of boring the TB is to increase the inlet.
Most increase the inlet, but do not increase the space around the plate/blade much. For example, the Fastman does a 84mm/85mm inlet, and the plate/blade area is 82mm (he states factory is 80mm). I bet Moe's unit has an 87mm inlet, but the blade/plate area is not increased a lot, probably about the same 82mm or so. Not disrespecting the Moe's unit at all, and I am guessing a bit, but I have owned previous trucks with both Fastman TBs and Moe's TBs.

For a bit more, The Fastman actually does offer an 84mm fully bored unit, complete with new blade, but he tells you up front that unless you have done a lot of other work to the engine/truck, it isn't worth it.

George_RAM

Reaction score
Yes, it adjusts itself. I did a data log for hemifever and they said it was golden!
Nice write-up @Caballonegro; thank you for sharing your project. I am considering getting a TB, and I am deciding between Moes's 87mm TB and the Fastman 88m option. I wanted to know what makes you go with Moe's or any other alternative. I also found an alternative from Arrington Performance with a billet 88m TB bored and a plate.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nice write-up @Caballonegro; thank you for sharing your project. I am considering getting a TB, and I am deciding between Moes's 87mm TB and the Fastman 88m option. I wanted to know what makes you go with Moe's or any other alternative. I also found an alternative from Arrington Performance with a billet 88m TB bored and a plate.

Why are you upgrading your TB? What mods do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread