5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modifications and warranty 5th gen Rams

Oldskool

Reaction score
Anyone know for certain what can be modified in the performance and suspension area without voiding the warranty? Thanks in advance!

Pics for clicks

IMG_20190111_164459.jpg

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. Nobody knows :geek:

We know what might... or should... or could... cause warranty denials but it seems hit or miss. Some dealers are more "by the book" than others.

If you wanna do a mod, just do it.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. Nobody knows :geek:

We know what might... or should... or could... cause warranty denials but it seems hit or miss. Some dealers are more "by the book" than others.

If you wanna do a mod, just do it.
Exactly, do without asking and beg for forgiveness later!:cool:

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
Anyone know for certain what can be modified in the performance and suspension area without voiding the warranty? Thanks in advance!

Pics for clicks

View attachment 14405

Check out the fine print in this MOPAR extended warranty. Not sure if it is the same as the initial, but it can give you an idea of what they might do and what you could get with an extended warranty.

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.co...4-18-787_Gas_Maximum_Care_Plan_Provisions.pdf

Some of that text is here:

• Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer, including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications;

• Repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of alterations or modifications not recommended by the manufacturer;

• Lift kits that exceed two (2) inches; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of a lift kit that exceeds two (2) inches;

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We had one at the shop last month .. (4th GEN)
he added a weird looking catch can (used parts from his local ACE hardware for the fittings).
he added a 2.5" throttle-body spacer.
he installed K&N Cold Air Intake (and had more ACE hardware elbows and stuff fandangled in somehow).
he had 2 other items I can't remember now that I type this .. but they weren't as 'major' as the 3 above.

his issue: vehicle idles rough (like it has a Cam installed), vehicle has no power.

I was looking over the engine (watching over the tech who was working on it actually to see what the customer installed and I had noticed those above) .. he hooked up the wiTECH fob and couldn't pull any codes.

I told the tech, pull the mods off or tell the customer to put it back to stock and see if it runs better .. there isn't much service can do because of the nasty way the customer hooked up the mods -- and not sure if they all were the cause or if one caused the issues over any of the others.

We showed the Service Manager and he said to swap out the throttle body as he had seen them go bad on the 4th gens .. issues were still there .. so I voiced my concern again about getting rid (at least initially) all the 'jank' mods the customer did .. we could do it, but it would cost X-hours of labor time.

Vehicle didn't come back, so either the customer was angry, or he gave up and has been working on putting it back to stock to see what mod he installed broke his rig :)

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Have a 2020 ram limited with air ride and was tempted to install revel links and daystar spacers. Have a 100k bumper to bumper snd now I do not want to look at the mods.

Ill probably just get 33x12.5x22 tires and call it good.

Rogues Gambit

Reaction score
We had one at the shop last month .. (4th GEN)
he added a weird looking catch can (used parts from his local ACE hardware for the fittings).
he added a 2.5" throttle-body spacer.
he installed K&N Cold Air Intake (and had more ACE hardware elbows and stuff fandangled in somehow).
he had 2 other items I can't remember now that I type this .. but they weren't as 'major' as the 3 above.

his issue: vehicle idles rough (like it has a Cam installed), vehicle has no power.

I was looking over the engine (watching over the tech who was working on it actually to see what the customer installed and I had noticed those above) .. he hooked up the wiTECH fob and couldn't pull any codes.

I told the tech, pull the mods off or tell the customer to put it back to stock and see if it runs better .. there isn't much service can do because of the nasty way the customer hooked up the mods -- and not sure if they all were the cause or if one caused the issues over any of the others.

We showed the Service Manager and he said to swap out the throttle body as he had seen them go bad on the 4th gens .. issues were still there .. so I voiced my concern again about getting rid (at least initially) all the 'jank' mods the customer did .. we could do it, but it would cost X-hours of labor time.

Vehicle didn't come back, so either the customer was angry, or he gave up and has been working on putting it back to stock to see what mod he installed broke his rig :)

ever-read-something-so-stupid-tgivesyou-forest-whitaker-eye-7155892.png
Why, just why?? Its one thing to order pro parts and diy mod them, but that... Might have to post the meme twice

Users who are viewing this thread