5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mod to watch video on screen

alow

Reaction score
I'd like the option in motion for my passengers.

alow

Reaction score
My apologies sir. Did not realize that.
No worries, I think its the only downside of not having the console. After a year my truck is still my happy place so I'm willing to deal with such a small problem. Kids cant agree on what they want to watch anyways. :)

RAMpage

Reaction score
I used an older iPhone I had laying around, jailbroke it (free), and bought CarBridge for $5. Now I can use ANY app on the screen (Netflix, Youtube, etc) so passengers can watch videos or I can when parked somewhere and waiting. It connects to my wifi hotspot from my main cell when I am in the truck also so streaming is available.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I used an older iPhone I had laying around, jailbroke it (free), and bought CarBridge for $5. Now I can use ANY app on the screen (Netflix, Youtube, etc) so passengers can watch videos or I can when parked somewhere and waiting. It connects to my wifi hotspot from my main cell when I am in the truck also so streaming is available.
Just to confirm this works on the 12" screen and does it work while in motion or only parked ? If so can you please post a little more about the details ? I have an old iPhone that I could use but I'm clueless on the jail breaking and carbridge stuff.

Thanks.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Just to confirm this works on the 12" screen and does it work while in motion or only parked ? If so can you please post a little more about the details ? I have an old iPhone that I could use but I'm clueless on the jail breaking and carbridge stuff.

Thanks.

Yes I have the 12" screen. It will only use half the screen though while watching videos - the same as any other CarPlay app. Maybe once iOS 13 comes out and supports more irregular screen sizes we will have access to the full thing but until then, this is all we have.

First thing you need to do is get that iPhone on iOS 12.4 before Apple stops signing it - NOT 12.4.1. It has to be an iPhone 5s or newer also. Then once that's done, look for guides on how to jailbreak using unc0ver or chimera. Both are jailbreak tools for iOS 12.4.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Yes I have the 12" screen. It will only use half the screen though while watching videos - the same as any other CarPlay app. Maybe once iOS 13 comes out and supports more irregular screen sizes we will have access to the full thing but until then, this is all we have.

First thing you need to do is get that iPhone on iOS 12.4 before Apple stops signing it - NOT 12.4.1. It has to be an iPhone 5s or newer also. Then once that's done, look for guides on how to jailbreak using unc0ver or chimera. Both are jailbreak tools for iOS 12.4.
Looks like I found something fun to do today !! Perfect thank you much and if this works my kids are gonna love it.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Looks like I found something fun to do today !! Perfect thank you much and if this works my kids are gonna love it.

No problem! Once all that is done you just need to use either Cydia (if you used unc0ver to jb it) or Sileo (if you used chimera) to find and install/purchase CarBridge. Cydia and Sileo work similar to an app store. Once CarBridge is installed, just go into the main iPhone settings app... scroll wayyyyy down until you find CarBridge, then select which apps you want to show when using CarPlay (they have to be installed first though from the official app store - Netflix, Youtube, etc).

RAMpage

Reaction score
So CarBridge essentially hacks carplay?

Yes and no. Think of it as being in the middle (like a bridge) and tricking CarPlay into thinking those additional apps also support CarPlay. It doesn't actually change anything with CarPlay itself.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No problem! Once all that is done you just need to use either Cydia (if you used unc0ver to jb it) or Sileo (if you used chimera) to find and install/purchase CarBridge. Cydia and Sileo work similar to an app store. Once CarBridge is installed, just go into the main iPhone settings app... scroll wayyyyy down until you find CarBridge, then select which apps you want to show when using CarPlay (they have to be installed first though from the official app store - Netflix, Youtube, etc).
Love this. I have an old phone I can use for this as well.

ram1500driver

Reaction score
Looks like NAVIKS has a 12" solution now....... Maybe?

Hdh67

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 and I was searching for the same thing...

I was hoping that someone had possibly flashed a custom operating system or rooted the stereo, since many are based off a modified version of Android. I have jailbroken and rooted iPhones and Android Phones and once it failed and made Android Tablet into a large permanent paperweight, i.e., even if it was possible to root the stereo, I’m not sure I would want to risk it.

Anyway... I registered just so that I could add the following comments.

1) iPhone Jailbreak
I will only be an effective solution until it is so outdated that new Applications cannot install. Once the OS is outdated enough - you will not be able to install the newest versions of Netflix, etc. and it will no be a usable solution. Apple is expected to stop supporting (updating) these older phones around Aug 2021, so it will just be a matter of time that new applications will not install on the old OS.

2) Mirroring (using anything that screen mirrors such as lockpick - even a Chromecast)
I am pretty sure this would not be a solution and possibly and a costly mistake. From my experience, screen mirroring is disabled on many of the video programs on iPhone (likely on Android as well). This is to prevent t people from illegally downloading music/video because someone could mirror to a device that records and have an illegal copy of whatever is played. The newest Coastaltech Lockpick says states this but it’s a little buried. This type of screen mirroring is blocked on the iPhone itself, so it should not work regardless of device mirrored to.

3. Alternatives
It’s kind of stupid but I have wasted some time thinking of alternative solutions but I have not tested any of these.

A - Instead of using car play and mirroring, use a separate streaming device, such as a Chomecast.

First off, you would need and HDMI input to plug a device into, so you would need something such as a Lockpick (your already down over $300).

Now you need a streaming device and internet connection. Any phone could be the network connection as a hotspot so that is taken care of.

Now you get into streaming device limitations. You cannot use a streaming device that requires casting (doesn’t have a remote control and requires a mobile device to act as a remote - such as a Chromecast). Your phone cannot be the internet connection and be seen as a device on the same network because that’s how it’s made (if you know about computers you know this should not be the case but it is).

So, you have two options: have a second mobile device to cast from and act as remote control or use a streaming device that doesn’t require Casting: Firestick (or whatever the Amazon device is) and Roku are examples of this. They can be used without a device for casting via a provided remote.

So, to summarize this option - You could use a lockpick to make an HDMI input to the stereo - then plug a Roku (or like device) - use your phone as th network connection and a remote control to control the streaming device. I’m not really fond of the entire solution because it’s expensive, work around another work around, and an overall bad user experience because your streaming video or using a map application not both.

- B Android Device

I’m normally an iPhone person but I’m seriously thinking about my next device being an android. It looks like there may be an application that hacks CarPlay available without rooting. There is definitely an application available for rioted android devices (but you need to Google which devices are easily rooted).

This is probably what I will do - it won’t use tethering data while in CarPlay - after initial setup its simple to use - the user experience will be good (or as good as regular CarPlay but better).

Sorry for the deep dive - wsb diamond hands.

Users who are viewing this thread