5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mod ram or get TRX

ouv

Reaction score
I've had every generation Ram and Dakota besides 1st gen. I've loved them all. I've had v8 and Cummins. I've modified and done deep engine mods, rebuilds, and trans swaps. I currently drive a 2019 Ram 1500 DT. 5.7. I bought Dec 2021. I really wanted a 2500 6.4. Seeing used TRXs get into the 60k used market, really tempting me into getting one soon. Once I'm done with Chemo, which will be soon, then I'll start my new job. Once I get my new job, I'll make more in my first year than I ever have with my 11 years at my place. I've worked 15.5hr days for a long time. By this time, my current ram will be paid off, and should be work 20-25k trade in. Then by that time I'll have good money for down payment. Or do you think it'll be better to have a paid off vehicle, and get a built motor from Arrington performance, which isn't far from my house. Then do a 8hp95 trans and tcase swap? Yeah I won't have launch control and paddle shifters, but I'd have a 700hp capable motor and trans. Now axles I'm sure I could just do a trx swap.

Again, I've gone far with my trucks before, and I'll have a 2nd vehicle by this time to drive while this one is in the garage. I've seen many people have shops put in a hellcat motor in their 5th gens.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TRX > going full blown built aftermarket on current truck

Money aside I rather have a factory warrantied truck w/ 700hp then one thats will be out of warranty that may make 700hp as well. Plus TRX will have the better resale just in case life happens and you have to get into something else.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what you’re planning to do with it once you’re finished. No standard 1500 is even close to being as off-road capable as the TRX. If you plan to do that just get the TRX. If you’re modding just to have a high horsepower street truck mod your current truck. I’d opt for the TRX for the looks alone though LOL

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can start with a different truck and get close to a 700 hp TRX with a ton of mods.
Or you can start with a 700 hp TRX and get 1000++ HP with a ton of mods.
Sounds like you’ll mod your truck either way. Only real difference is where you start (and how much your wallet can handle).
I’d say go with what your heart tells you.

ouv

Reaction score
I do think you all are right, I'll pay off my ram since I got a killer interest rate left, I was making like triple payments before all this happened. Especially being off work. I'll pay it off, save up some major down payment and get a trx. I do really love the look, and the sound. I don't think I'll be able to replicate that sound, even if I did mod my current truck. I mean it's been a perfect truck, no issues and I abuse my truck as it is. it'll take me a little time to build money back up after being off work, and only my wife working, and bills coming in, but doesn't matter how long it takes, having a goal and sticking to it, it'll happen.

ouv

Reaction score
It's good to have a plan. Best of luck with your new job and I hope your health issues are behind you!
Thank you, my last Chemo was Thursday. Didn't go as easy, but my days after have been good. Only issue I have if I get a trx, parking it in my garage. I don't have the widest driveway and my garage is behind my house. It's not that big, but it's a build in progress. Been wanting to get limit permits on garage in my area. Nothing crazy, but something more useable than a 22x22 garage

Users who are viewing this thread