5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moaning-Droning-whatever: very frustrated

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CIA experiment. Random things in your house are laced with LSD so the doses are as random as the mystery noise in your truck.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn't you just poop yourself if you found a harmonica!! Just imagine how many beers you would have to buy us... 🤔🤣🤣🤣

Seriously tho, I hope you find what is causing the noise...

I actually like the harmonica idea, laughed myself silly the first time I saw it. I must try it sometime. Can you recommend an inexpensive brand suited to road conditions? :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, there are plenty of acoustic opportunities under and around the truck.

Anything tubular with an open end is a potential tuned cavity that can sing like a flute. One friend had an aluminum ladder atop his service van that loved to hum. I believe a bit of expanding foam in the ends of the rungs cured that.

And then there are the brakes. One end of a pad not glued to its caliper and getting rubbed just slightly at the right angle by the rotor can squeak or moan.

Or a piece of trim not quite secured for its whole length, with air passing at the right angle becomes a reed instrument.

The roof rack on my Mazda will whistle, but only on a cold morning if there is frost on the roof. Only frost, doesn't do it when rain, snow, ice, or dry, only frost. 🤷‍♂️

Just examples, hope you find it, we're all curious.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually like the harmonica idea, laughed myself silly the first time I saw it. I must try it sometime. Can you recommend an inexpensive brand suited to road conditions? :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, there are plenty of acoustic opportunities under and around the truck.

Anything tubular with an open end is a potential tuned cavity that can sing like a flute. One friend had an aluminum ladder atop his service van that loved to hum. I believe a bit of expanding foam in the ends of the rungs cured that.

Just examples, hope you find it, we're all curious.
Had that with my old work van anytime I had an extension ladder on it. Was angled just right the air blowing over the ring tubes was like blowing over the mouth of a bottle.

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had that with my old work van anytime I had an extension ladder on it. Was angled just right the air blowing over the ring tubes was like blowing over the mouth of a bottle.
I can name that tune in 4 notes... But you have to be old enough to know what I am talking about...

Users who are viewing this thread