5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Skid Plate?

Viper67

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I can’t believe the front piece isn’t included as there is a lot of hardware that’s plastic right there and rocks can easily hit it.

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
To anyone that has added these after the fact, do you need more hardware to install them or are they already there or did they come with the new plates?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To anyone that has added these after the fact, do you need more hardware to install them or are they already there or did they come with the new plates?

There is a thread on here I forget which one where one person posted the holes are pre-drilled on the trucks with out skid plates. So its a matter of just bolting them on if you order later and install.

GlennS

Reaction score

I installed these two skid plates this week (under front diff and xfer case). They come with the necessary bolts to mount (4 per skid plate), I did not have to purchase anything else. Easy install, 16mm socket IIRC.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
so I take if you do your own oil changes you have to remove the front suspension plate every oil change?

lanpowers

Reaction score
I installed these two skid plates this week (under front diff and xfer case). They come with the necessary bolts to mount (4 per skid plate), I did not have to purchase anything else. Easy install, 16mm socket IIRC.
Does anyone know what the part numbers are for the bolts? Same size bolt for the gas tank skid?

GlennS

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the part numbers are for the bolts? Same size bolt for the gas tank skid?
The bolts came with the skid plate. The look like a common size, I did not get the size info but I can pull one of the bolts and measure it you need-let me know. I haven't seen the skid plate for the gas tank offered separately, I think at this point it is only included in some of the new truck packages. I do not have a skid plate protecting my gas tank-yet.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are the part numbers for the four skid plates?
It has been inferred but not specifically stated but there are only three skid plates: fuel tank, transfer case, and the front one (suspension/steering). I don't know why FCA lists four. I have not sourced them to see how the "two" front ones differ for the part numbers.

so I take if you do your own oil changes you have to remove the front suspension plate every oil change?
No. The front suspension components make it a bear to get at the oil filter, but skid plates are a non-factor.
Depends. No you don't need to remove the front skid plate to change the oil. You can spin the filter by reaching in from the front of the engine and get the filter in/out through the passenger's side between the tie rod and axle (if you have 4wd).

I took mine off because it would have been coated in oil when I removed the filter. There are holes in the plate to keep it from pooling but there would have been a nice sheen of oil to try and clean up. It was only 4 bolts and a couple of minutes to take off then put back on at the end.

Bpiet378

Reaction score

For anyone that has installed the two skid plates, they're just installed with bolts? Did you use any loctite of any kind?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I removed my front plate to change oil it was just 4 bolts. There was no loctite on them and I did not use any when I re-installed the plate (just tightened down the bolts a little more than snug).

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone that has installed the two skid plates, they're just installed with bolts? Did you use any loctite of any kind?

You are supposed to torque them to 60-65 NM or around 44-48 Foot pounds, no loctite needed.

Also on a side note, use a ziploc gallon size bag over the oil filter when you take it off and the risk of spilling is so much less and taking off a skid plate is much more work than a 5-10 Cent bag IMO.

Cesar Frias

Reaction score
What was the torque applied to those 4 bolts?

Users who are viewing this thread