5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Skid Plate?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a Limited with ORP and the build sheet lists four skid plates (should be the same for the protection group):
  • Fuel Tank Skid Plate
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate
  • Front Suspension Skid Plate
  • Steering Gear Skid Plate
I've clearly got the first two, but then I've only got one more that I can find and I've creeped all under this thing. The third one is shown below and I'd tend to think it's the steering gear skid plate but it still leaves the question, where is my fourth skid plate?
20181112_133221.jpg

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... I only saw three as well and assumed that the steering is covered by the front suspension plate..

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... I only saw three as well and assumed that the steering is covered by the front suspension plate..

I would too but the build sheet clearly lists 4 separate skid plates. If the build sheet is technically incorrect here, then that opens several cans of worms...

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would too but the build sheet clearly lists 4 separate skid plates. If the build sheet is technically incorrect here, then that opens several cans of worms...

Yep, it lists four plates, if that is not the case then someone needs to go back and learn how to write.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, it lists four plates, if that is not the case then someone needs to go back and learn how to write.

I take the build sheet to be a vehicle specific bill of materials, i.e. exactly what's on your truck. I'm still leaning toward's "I'm not seeing #4" as opposed to the build sheet being wrong.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone with a Rebel or ORP able to find the 4th skid plate?
Obviously this is not a huge issue but will be nagging me for some time.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Build sheet is the official receipt/contract/Material lists used by FCA the sticker is not. Been there and done that in 2013. I ordered and paid for the skid plates on the 19 I have now, will check it out today and let you know what I found under mine.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Build sheet is the official receipt/contract/Material lists used by FCA the sticker is not. Been there and done that in 2013. I ordered and paid for the skid plates on the 19 I have now, will check it out today and let you know what I found under mine.

Thanks. I just feel kind of stupid that I can't find a fourth skid plate...

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I just feel kind of stupid that I can't find a fourth skid plate...

I most certainly would not feel stupid, your just validating what you paid for is in place while looking under your new truck. You got my attention Sir. I had a similar issue back in 2013 but not skid plates it was rear gear.

fireron

Reaction score
My Longhorn did not come with the Protection group and I have been trying to replicate it via the dealer. I have added the transfer case skid and the suspension skid so far. I tried to order the fuel tank skid but the parts guy said it does not show it to be available. Does anyone have the parts number for it?

Also, in my search for the steering box skid I did see somewhere that it has been discontinued. I have no idea if this is true, just something I ran across in my search on the internet.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went out took a look at mine this evening it has the front bottom and sides of the steering unit protected but I would not call it a skid plate its looks like your picture but no way any solid object could hit the steering unit and I bet that is not standard on Trucks who did not order the protection plates. We need a picture of some ones truck with out the protection plates ordered.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok... got back home yesterday and cleaned up the truck from the salt/snow/rain.
Pictures are taken from the passenger side looking to the driver's side

Fuel Tank
Fuel Tank Plate.png

Transfer Case plate
Transfer plate.png

And the 3rd plate... Steering and/or Suspension plate
Steering-Suspension plate.png

fireron

Reaction score
Ok... got back home yesterday and cleaned up the truck from the salt/snow/rain.
Pictures are taken from the passenger side looking to the driver's side

Fuel Tank
View attachment 8895

Transfer Case plate
View attachment 8896

And the 3rd plate... Steering and/or Suspension plate
View attachment 8897

Thanks for the cool pics. I just need the fuel tank skid as soon as they are available to buy. I already have the other two...and I guess three is all there are.

Users who are viewing this thread