5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing power to brake controller

Ramaroo

Reaction score
I went to hook up an aftermarket (Prodigy P2) brake controller and have found that there is no power at the harness provided under the dash (specifically, the black and white wires from this harness).

My vehicle:
2021 1500 Bighorn with the Level 1 equipment group, 5.7 without etorque.

I have checked the under the dash 30A fuse F01 (pictured here https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/heres-a-labeled-fuse-diagram-for-the-1500.28872/) and I think it is ok.

I have checked the under the hood relay R11 (detailed here https://www.autogenius.info/dodge-ram-1500-2013-2018-fuse-box-diagram/) and I think it is ok.

I checked these 3 with an ohm/volt meter.

Is there something the dealer needs to activate software wise or the like to enable an aftermarket controller to work?

Thanks

Ramaroo

Reaction score
I had the dealer activate the trailer package software on the truck, and now the brake controller can receive a signal from the harness when the brake pedal is pressed, that should be enough to get the Prodigy working.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The trailer brake harness should have power and brake light signal without having the OEM trailer brake controller enabled. I’ve rented these trucks and installed my Curt Spectrum controller w/o issue.

Also, the 30a fuse is not the one that powers the controller, but I’m not sure which one does.

Last edited:

Ramaroo

Reaction score
I've looked at 4 fuses that seem trailer related according to Ram doco, but still haven't found out why my trailer break control harness port lacks power yet. I was able to tap into a 20 amp unused (seat warmer) fuse and get the controller working.
Knowing why I have no power to the harness yet would be nice.

Ramaroo

Reaction score
Indeed, it's a super thread. It's what I used to find the 4.

robocp01

Reaction score
I went to hook up an aftermarket (Prodigy P2) brake controller and have found that there is no power at the harness provided under the dash (specifically, the black and white wires from this harness).

My vehicle:
2021 1500 Bighorn with the Level 1 equipment group, 5.7 without etorque.

I have checked the under the dash 30A fuse F01 (pictured here https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/heres-a-labeled-fuse-diagram-for-the-1500.28872/) and I think it is ok.

I have checked the under the hood relay R11 (detailed here https://www.autogenius.info/dodge-ram-1500-2013-2018-fuse-box-diagram/) and I think it is ok.

I checked these 3 with an ohm/volt meter.

Is there something the dealer needs to activate software wise or the like to enable an aftermarket controller to work?

Thanks

robocp01

Reaction score
Hey I too have a 2019 Ram 1500 and tried to installed the Prodigy P2. I got it used to I have no idea if the trailer package has been added. I don't have any power at the expected wiring locations on my truck. Are you saying I have to have the dealer flash the computer to allow this to function. Hard to believe that they would sell this truck without that feature on.

swoter

Reaction score
My truck also came without a brake controller, and had a class3 bumper hitch. I had the dealer install the factory brake controller and a class 4 hitch. Well worth the money in my opinion. They did have to flash the dash with new software.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Reading these instructions on the Ram Commercial site, it seems like the 30A trailer power fuse is what powers the trailer brake controller as well. Certainly easy enough to check the fuse. Should be F1 on the internal fuse block.

Attachments

• Ram Trailer Brake Module Install_MY19+_R1.pdf
    655.2 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread