5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misfire in Cylinder 2...

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Woke up today to a misfire in cylinder 2 in my 2019 1500. I did the basics of trying to get to the bottom of things. I only have 65k miles on it.

1. Swap cylinders 2 and 4 coil plugs, still a misfire on cylinder 2.
2. Put in new spark plugs, still a misfire.
3. Disconnect battery, hoping a computer gremlin will get erased, no dice.

If it's something besides coils or plugs, what are the common reasons to get misfires from these engine?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Woke up today to a misfire in cylinder 2 in my 2019 1500. I did the basics of trying to get to the bottom of things. I only have 65k miles on it.

If it's something besides coils or plugs, what are the common reasons to get misfires from these engine?

First question, is something actually broke or is it just mis-reporting?
Is it actually limping/stuttering? Broken valve spring or collapsed lifter can do that.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Just curious what led you to investigate this. Is it running bad? Check engine light?

I would try different fuel, injector cleaner. Or swap injectors around.

Also, I’ve seen some misfire counts for my truck in Jscan. They are few and far between in closed loop before the engine gets to operating temp.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Just curious what led you to investigate this. Is it running bad? Check engine light?

I would try different fuel, injector cleaner. Or swap injectors around.

Also, I’ve seen some misfire counts for my truck in Jscan. They are few and far between in closed loop before the engine gets to operating temp.
In the 100's, not random. It's continuous.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad lifter, or possibly fuel injector if you didn't swap those.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Already talked to a guy at the Ram dealer, he said a few codes come up just plugging it in, but main one was the injector. The diagnostic guys will get to it in a few days.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Update #2: literally climbed into the cab, check engine light was still on, thought maybe they didn't reset it. Still was running rough but not like before, now my code reader says cylinder 3 misfire.

I didn't even leave the parking lot man. They're going to do a leak down test. What a effing week.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update #2: literally climbed into the cab, check engine light was not on, running rough but not like before, now my code reader says cylinder 3 misfire.

I didn't even leave the parking lot man. They're going to do a leak down test. What a effing week.
Maybe they should have replaced all the injectors? Or they messed something up replacing the #2 injector

23RAM

Reaction score
Possible but #3 is on the other side of the engine. So what the hell would they have done to make it fail or stick? Weird
All sorts of possibilities.

At about 6 months and 6500 miles on a brand new truck, I had a misfire issue cyl 5 that was intermittent, some days it ran fine, other days not. First diagnosis was bad coil or plug. Swapped plugs - didn't fix it. They changed the coil - didn't fix it. Changed the injector - didn't fix it. Changed the PCM - didn't fix it. Finally changed the main wiring harness and that fixed it. Took six months in/out at the dealer to finally get it resolved. Seems like a wire or connection was damaged during assembly on the line and it took 6 months of corrosion or wear to affect the connection to the coil pack and then it started to misfire intermittently. After a few months of them trying coil, injector, PCM, it was misfiring 100% of the time and a new harness was ordered. About 12k on it now and still good.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Possible but #3 is on the other side of the engine. So what the hell would they have done to make it fail or stick? Weird
If they pulled the whole fuel rail when they did the injector it would possibly effect both side

Users who are viewing this thread