5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

minor annoyace with auto park brake

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I recently discovered that the park brake can be automatically set whenever shifting to park. That's awesome, love that. However, when that's enabled and I shift to Park, the truck "dings" and flashes a message on the dash saying "park brake is automatically being set". I can handle the message, but I'd really prefer not to have that silly thing dinging at me for the rest of the lifetime of the truck.

Like, who the heck thought I needed to be dinged for the next 10 years everytime I shift to park? I would love to have a chat with the program manager in charge at that meeting. Good grief.

Anyway, 3rd world problems and all, just wondering if I'm the stupid one by not finding the setting somewhere in U Connect?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess I'm stupider than you since I didn't know that was a setting option. o_O

It's a very cool option to have, I always have from day one, set the parking brake in whatever car I owned. This one can do it automatically which is nice, but I really hate that "ding" and the thought of hearing that for the next 10 years or however long I keep my truck, just rubs me the wrong way. A user interface should be intelligent and consistent, and not annoy or irritate people for no reason. I have no need to be warned that my parking brake is being set. A ding normally tells me I need to take action or look _immediately_. Tire pressure is low, almost out of gas, that sort of thing. It shouldn't ding without a valid and strong reason.

In fact, the whole message on the dash (not even the ding now, but the message itself that the parking brake is being set) is completely unnecessary. It's useless information, because there is already an "idiot light" telling me the brake is set, and it automatically releases when I put it in drive.

This whole feature annoys me more than it should lol. But I can't stand that sort of thing, it's poorly thought out. Oh well.

popcenator

Reaction score
I get the sound when that option is enabled as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OtterRam

Reaction score
Mine does not ding however I would be interested to see if the ding is some type of setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

embo_9

Reaction score
Mine does not seem to always release automatically when I put it in drive OR reverse. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. What's the secret progression of things to do? Brake, start, seat belt, drive (or reverse) or seat belt, brake, start, drive (or reverse)? Please point me in the right direction.

Kidder

Reaction score
Mine does not seem to always release automatically when I put it in drive OR reverse. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. What's the secret progression of things to do? Brake, start, seat belt, drive (or reverse) or seat belt, brake, start, drive (or reverse)? Please point me in the right direction.
I always start, seat belt, put in gear. Works every time.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Mine doesn’t matter if I start then seatbelt or seatbelt then start. As long as seatbelt is on before shifting into gear the parking brake disengages every time.

Users who are viewing this thread