5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minnesota Winter Tires?

EddyB

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on winter tires for up north here in Minneapolis.

I've got a second set of the limited rims (R20) and from what I see from this calculator (Tire Size Calculator) I can run the stock 275/55R20 or to stay within +/- 1%:
245/60 - 9.6" wide
295/50 - 11.6" wide
275/55 - 10.8" wide - Stock
255/60 - 10.0" wide
305/50 - 12.0" wide
Not doing a ton of off-roading, but we do get considerable snow up here, so just curious if anyone has any experience with a specific type of tire to use and if it's worth it to change the sizing to allow for a smaller or larger contact patch.

Thanks in advance.

GrumpyOleMan

Reaction score
Greetings,
I put Falken Wildpeak AT3W on mine. Stock size for my 22" rims and they handled our Dakota winter wonderfully. Not exactly a dedicated snow tire, but they are three mountain peak rated.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on winter tires for up north here in Minneapolis.

I've got a second set of the limited rims (R20) and from what I see from this calculator (Tire Size Calculator) I can run the stock 275/55R20 or to stay within +/- 1%:
245/60 - 9.6" wide
295/50 - 11.6" wide
275/55 - 10.8" wide - Stock
255/60 - 10.0" wide
305/50 - 12.0" wide
Not doing a ton of off-roading, but we do get considerable snow up here, so just curious if anyone has any experience with a specific type of tire to use and if it's worth it to change the sizing to allow for a smaller or larger contact patch.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure a 245 tire would stretch to the rim width, but some of those lowrider guys could probably help with that. :)

Also not sure who would've told you 1%, unless that's just your personal desire. Most people go to the 275/60/20 because that's what all the rest of the half ton world runs, including 4th gen Ram and Chevy and Ford truck and SUV, and their are many more SL or C range tire choices.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
First you need to decide (maybe you have?) if you want to run a dedicated snow tire in winter, or go with a 3PMSF rated A/T tire year-round. But whichever you decide, for best winter traction, go with the narrowest tire that will fit the rim. Wider tires tend to act like skis and stay on top of the snow, while narrower tires tend to penetrate down to provide more traction. Any tire store can tell you which tire and wheel width combinations will work.

EddyB

Reaction score
First you need to decide (maybe you have?) if you want to run a dedicated snow tire in winter, or go with a 3PMSF rated A/T tire year-round. But whichever you decide, for best winter traction, go with the narrowest tire that will fit the rim. Wider tires tend to act like skis and stay on top of the snow, while narrower tires tend to penetrate down to provide more traction. Any tire store can tell you which tire and wheel width combinations will work.
Yes, planning on dedicated winter tire. Will swap with seasons.

Anyone ran like the 255/60, or would that be too narrow to fit the wheel?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello - I am also in Minnesota and have run a dedicated set of winter tires on my ram 1500 for a few years now. I have been running the Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2 in stock 275 /55 R20 117T XL BSW. I have been very happy with traction in deep snow and stopping on ice etc. I run the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W the rest of the season which are 3 peak M/S rated and work great if I haven't made the seasonal change and get and early or late storm etc. but the Blizzaks are noticeably better.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Hello - I am also in Minnesota and have run a dedicated set of winter tires on my ram 1500 for a few years now. I have been running the Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2 in stock 275 /55 R20 117T XL BSW. I have been very happy with traction in deep snow and stopping on ice etc.
Exact same here, also in MN - love Blizzaks, I run them on the factory wheels. In summer I run Firestone Destination LE3 on Raceline Spike wheels. I was so happy to get rid of the factory Alenzas - those things are trash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online